Bishop Auckland parents support mass public breastfeeding campaign

PROUD MUM: Tasha McNeil with children Hallie and Logan Burney

PROUD MUM: Tasha McNeil with children Hallie and Logan Burney

First published in News
Last updated
The Northern Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Reporter (Sedgefield)

PARENTS packed a County Durham cafe yesterday (Saturday, March 15) in support of a national campaign to promote breastfeeding in public.

Tasha McNeil organised the event in Starbucks, at St Helen Auckland, near Bishop Auckland, and almost 20 parents - some breastfeeding and others bottle or formula feeding - took part.

It was held at the same time as thousands of mothers participated in mass public breastfeeding protests across the country, in support of Midlands mother Emily Slough.

She was targeted by internet trolls when a picture of her breastfeeding her daughter during a shopping trip in Rugeley town centre, in Staffordshire, was posted online and she was branded a tramp.

Miss McNeil, from Bishop Auckland, said: “I used to hide when I was breastfeeding my first child, Hallie, some people would be mean and said nasty things.

“They’d tell me there is a time and place for that sort of thing, I should cover up or go to the toilet or changing room to feed my child but they wouldn’t eat their food on the toilet.

“I gained confidence and now with my eight-month-old, Logan, I’ll feed wherever and whenever he’s hungry.

"I’m not getting it out to show people but discreetly doing a natural thing that I feel is best for my family.

“Mothers should be free to make a choice for their baby and not be made to feel wrong if that means breastfeeding in public.

“I hope events like this help normalise it.”

Comments (64)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:27pm Sun 16 Mar 14

NO EINSTEIN says...

Yes Yes Yes its normal and natural, but we are British not savages, lets have some decency here.

If I want the toilet I don't just do it anywhere, I go to a public convenience.
Yes Yes Yes its normal and natural, but we are British not savages, lets have some decency here. If I want the toilet I don't just do it anywhere, I go to a public convenience. NO EINSTEIN
  • Score: -63

9:52pm Sun 16 Mar 14

livesinashoe2 says...

No Einstein (very apt name).....so if you want to eat where do you go? To the toilet? No, thought not, so you have the right to eat in public, yet a baby does not? If *you * have an issue with it then you need to look at why you feel that way, the baby doesnt care that you have insecurities over him having his dinner. Maybe direct your comments thein the direction of daily mail, you will find many of your people there :)
No Einstein (very apt name).....so if you want to eat where do you go? To the toilet? No, thought not, so you have the right to eat in public, yet a baby does not? If *you * have an issue with it then you need to look at why you feel that way, the baby doesnt care that you have insecurities over him having his dinner. Maybe direct your comments thein the direction of daily mail, you will find many of your people there :) livesinashoe2
  • Score: 49

10:18pm Sun 16 Mar 14

NO EINSTEIN says...

livesinashoe2 wrote:
No Einstein (very apt name).....so if you want to eat where do you go? To the toilet? No, thought not, so you have the right to eat in public, yet a baby does not? If *you * have an issue with it then you need to look at why you feel that way, the baby doesnt care that you have insecurities over him having his dinner. Maybe direct your comments thein the direction of daily mail, you will find many of your people there :)
Madam, I assume you're a lady, its lack of decency and good manners that are destroying this country.

If i'm honest I think breast feeding your child so all can see is sick, and pure expansionism to make a sad point because your hormones are all over the place.

I don't care what the baby wants, it can be feed with decorum instead of making a crude public statement.
[quote][p][bold]livesinashoe2[/bold] wrote: No Einstein (very apt name).....so if you want to eat where do you go? To the toilet? No, thought not, so you have the right to eat in public, yet a baby does not? If *you * have an issue with it then you need to look at why you feel that way, the baby doesnt care that you have insecurities over him having his dinner. Maybe direct your comments thein the direction of daily mail, you will find many of your people there :)[/p][/quote]Madam, I assume you're a lady, its lack of decency and good manners that are destroying this country. If i'm honest I think breast feeding your child so all can see is sick, and pure expansionism to make a sad point because your hormones are all over the place. I don't care what the baby wants, it can be feed with decorum instead of making a crude public statement. NO EINSTEIN
  • Score: -75

10:23pm Sun 16 Mar 14

NO EINSTEIN says...

VOR Help me here, please,,,,,,,,,,,,
VOR Help me here, please,,,,,,,,,,,, NO EINSTEIN
  • Score: -45

11:03pm Sun 16 Mar 14

nigel d says...

NO EINSTEIN wrote:
VOR Help me here, please,,,,,,,,,,,,
You certainly need help.
[quote][p][bold]NO EINSTEIN[/bold] wrote: VOR Help me here, please,,,,,,,,,,,,[/p][/quote]You certainly need help. nigel d
  • Score: 58

7:02am Mon 17 Mar 14

caroline saunders says...

Its a boob so what! Its not like shes getting them out for the fun of it like some people would, shes feeding her child for god child. Its a natural healthy thing to do. I dont see why she should be branded a tramp for looking after her child. Do you know what a tramp is?! Why should she go and hide away IN A TOILET of all places to give her baby what he needs. I think its great what shes done and might give mums more confidence and not to be ashamed of doing something NORMAL. People who dont agree... well thats your opinion. But she most certainly shouldnt be criticised for being a good mum.
Its a boob so what! Its not like shes getting them out for the fun of it like some people would, shes feeding her child for god child. Its a natural healthy thing to do. I dont see why she should be branded a tramp for looking after her child. Do you know what a tramp is?! Why should she go and hide away IN A TOILET of all places to give her baby what he needs. I think its great what shes done and might give mums more confidence and not to be ashamed of doing something NORMAL. People who dont agree... well thats your opinion. But she most certainly shouldnt be criticised for being a good mum. caroline saunders
  • Score: 36

7:03am Mon 17 Mar 14

Auldgadgey says...

No Einstein
Have you thought of having therapy to deal with your obvious problem?
No Einstein Have you thought of having therapy to deal with your obvious problem? Auldgadgey
  • Score: 23

7:49am Mon 17 Mar 14

Yemen says...

breast feeding is right and natural. people need to get over their prejudices which stem from the very 'decay of society' they cite.

Personally i find toddlers with mars bars, crisps or cans of pop vastly more offensive that a perfectly natural way of feeding your child.
breast feeding is right and natural. people need to get over their prejudices which stem from the very 'decay of society' they cite. Personally i find toddlers with mars bars, crisps or cans of pop vastly more offensive that a perfectly natural way of feeding your child. Yemen
  • Score: 49

8:52am Mon 17 Mar 14

hippyjohn says...

you won`t see anything you can`t see on page three when i was a youngster in a pit village in the 50`s breastfeeding was the norm we were healthy and not obese from chips and chocolate
you won`t see anything you can`t see on page three when i was a youngster in a pit village in the 50`s breastfeeding was the norm we were healthy and not obese from chips and chocolate hippyjohn
  • Score: 31

9:03am Mon 17 Mar 14

thehogman says...

I am happy for any mother to breast feed in public, but for heavens sake keep the child's head out of the way........it just ruins the view
I am happy for any mother to breast feed in public, but for heavens sake keep the child's head out of the way........it just ruins the view thehogman
  • Score: -15

10:10am Mon 17 Mar 14

jenn86 says...

Oh my good god i cnt bide people who have this attitude towards breastfeeding get a grip you sad pathetic individual. I breastfeed my baby where ever he decides hes hungry. You must be the guy that thinks women are tramps for feeding in public are you? So angry at these comments
Oh my good god i cnt bide people who have this attitude towards breastfeeding get a grip you sad pathetic individual. I breastfeed my baby where ever he decides hes hungry. You must be the guy that thinks women are tramps for feeding in public are you? So angry at these comments jenn86
  • Score: 11

10:24am Mon 17 Mar 14

Colcat says...

Breastfeeding a baby is "a natural healthy thing to do"; masturbation is a natural healthy thing to do, urinating, defecating and having sex are also natural and healthy things to do, and I don't want to see anyone doing any of them in public. Breastfeeding, I believe, is an essential and important thing to do and should be encouraged, but just not in public. If a baby has to be fed in public, why not have a bit of decorum and find a quiet spot, or maybe turn to face the wall and be discreet then no-one would have anything to complain about. But no, some have to be as obvious as possible, almost as if they WANT to offend people.
Breastfeeding a baby is "a natural healthy thing to do"; masturbation is a natural healthy thing to do, urinating, defecating and having sex are also natural and healthy things to do, and I don't want to see anyone doing any of them in public. Breastfeeding, I believe, is an essential and important thing to do and should be encouraged, but just not in public. If a baby has to be fed in public, why not have a bit of decorum and find a quiet spot, or maybe turn to face the wall and be discreet then no-one would have anything to complain about. But no, some have to be as obvious as possible, almost as if they WANT to offend people. Colcat
  • Score: -18

10:51am Mon 17 Mar 14

Didyoumeantobesorude? says...

Colcat wrote:
Breastfeeding a baby is "a natural healthy thing to do"; masturbation is a natural healthy thing to do, urinating, defecating and having sex are also natural and healthy things to do, and I don't want to see anyone doing any of them in public. Breastfeeding, I believe, is an essential and important thing to do and should be encouraged, but just not in public. If a baby has to be fed in public, why not have a bit of decorum and find a quiet spot, or maybe turn to face the wall and be discreet then no-one would have anything to complain about. But no, some have to be as obvious as possible, almost as if they WANT to offend people.
Colcat wrote: 'But no, some have to be as obvious as possible, almost as if they WANT to offend people.'

Same as people commenting on a public forum, from a position of prejudice and misogyny - it is almost as though they WANT to offend people (your caps).
[quote][p][bold]Colcat[/bold] wrote: Breastfeeding a baby is "a natural healthy thing to do"; masturbation is a natural healthy thing to do, urinating, defecating and having sex are also natural and healthy things to do, and I don't want to see anyone doing any of them in public. Breastfeeding, I believe, is an essential and important thing to do and should be encouraged, but just not in public. If a baby has to be fed in public, why not have a bit of decorum and find a quiet spot, or maybe turn to face the wall and be discreet then no-one would have anything to complain about. But no, some have to be as obvious as possible, almost as if they WANT to offend people.[/p][/quote]Colcat wrote: 'But no, some have to be as obvious as possible, almost as if they WANT to offend people.' Same as people commenting on a public forum, from a position of prejudice and misogyny - it is almost as though they WANT to offend people (your caps). Didyoumeantobesorude?
  • Score: 11

11:32am Mon 17 Mar 14

Didyoumeantobesorude? says...

It is natural, and it is normal. It is what breasts are for. It is necessary and when it is, it is necessary right now, not in ten minutes, or when you get home. Unless of course you complainers are the sort who like being around screaming babies, which I think you probably won't be. It cannot be done in a toilet, unless you know something I don't about babies and hygiene. It is illegal to ask a woman to stop, so think about exactly why that has happened and why it would be enshrined in law. People years ago were not more discreet (there are many pictures to prove this), and certainly fed wherever and whenever they needed to. They didn't have nursing bras, and discreet feeding tops, or easy access clothing. They just fed as best they could. It is only in the very recent past, with the advent of formula feeding, that breastfeeding has been the focus of such negative bias. So please don't quote history, or values, or decency, or the failure of modern society. The failure is now, and how women are viewed now.
It is natural, and it is normal. It is what breasts are for. It is necessary and when it is, it is necessary right now, not in ten minutes, or when you get home. Unless of course you complainers are the sort who like being around screaming babies, which I think you probably won't be. It cannot be done in a toilet, unless you know something I don't about babies and hygiene. It is illegal to ask a woman to stop, so think about exactly why that has happened and why it would be enshrined in law. People years ago were not more discreet (there are many pictures to prove this), and certainly fed wherever and whenever they needed to. They didn't have nursing bras, and discreet feeding tops, or easy access clothing. They just fed as best they could. It is only in the very recent past, with the advent of formula feeding, that breastfeeding has been the focus of such negative bias. So please don't quote history, or values, or decency, or the failure of modern society. The failure is now, and how women are viewed now. Didyoumeantobesorude?
  • Score: 30

11:43am Mon 17 Mar 14

Mistake says...

breastfeeding in public doesn't bother me in the slightest though I can understand that some people do find it to be indecent, but honestly I can't help but think those people are just a little bit prudish!

And for those drawing comparisons with masturbation, do please grow up. It's not like these ladies are popping them out for a bit of a thrill.

While we're here though I'm thinking the dislike it may come from people's backgrounds, I wasn't raised with the idea that nudity in itself was indecent or erotic so I'm not shocked or offended or disturbed by breasts or penises or anything else flapping about. Whereas someone raised to believe any kind of nudity is a bad thing would have drastically different views. Just my contribution in an attempt to promote a civilised discussion on the matter.
breastfeeding in public doesn't bother me in the slightest though I can understand that some people do find it to be indecent, but honestly I can't help but think those people are just a little bit prudish! And for those drawing comparisons with masturbation, do please grow up. It's not like these ladies are popping them out for a bit of a thrill. While we're here though I'm thinking the dislike it may come from people's backgrounds, I wasn't raised with the idea that nudity in itself was indecent or erotic so I'm not shocked or offended or disturbed by breasts or penises or anything else flapping about. Whereas someone raised to believe any kind of nudity is a bad thing would have drastically different views. Just my contribution in an attempt to promote a civilised discussion on the matter. Mistake
  • Score: 14

12:00pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Voice-of-reality says...

If a fellow looks out of his window on a woman sunbathing topless he is a peeping tom.
If a fellow gets his member out in public - he is a sexual deviant (though the woman in the scenario above is not guilty of any offence)
If a fellow propositions or makes any form of comment to a female on her looks in public - he is likely to be charged with sexual harassment

Thus, if I go into a Starbucks and there are mammaries galore with whom may I speak and where may I cast my eyes - or should I enter into the spirit of the occasion and assume that this is a Bacchanalian overture to a public orgy?

In the interests, therefore, of equality, and your desire to have your modesty protected at all other times, could you please leave the only ‘expressing’ to the baristas at such establishments.
If a fellow looks out of his window on a woman sunbathing topless he is a peeping tom. If a fellow gets his member out in public - he is a sexual deviant (though the woman in the scenario above is not guilty of any offence) If a fellow propositions or makes any form of comment to a female on her looks in public - he is likely to be charged with sexual harassment Thus, if I go into a Starbucks and there are mammaries galore with whom may I speak and where may I cast my eyes - or should I enter into the spirit of the occasion and assume that this is a Bacchanalian overture to a public orgy? In the interests, therefore, of equality, and your desire to have your modesty protected at all other times, could you please leave the only ‘expressing’ to the baristas at such establishments. Voice-of-reality
  • Score: -12

12:03pm Mon 17 Mar 14

rhi.anon says...

Negative attitudes towards breastfeeding, and the sheer rudeness of certain closed minded individuals, is one of the main reasons women often choose the bottle feed their children. It has been long established that "breast is best", as the mother's milk is the perfect temperature, sterile, and full of everything the baby needs, including very important immunisation properties. I know a lot of women who chose to bottle feed, for one reason or another, but they do talk about the convenience, because "you can feed your baby anywhere". Excuse me? Your breasts are on hand (as it were). It's so sad to see these mothers feel ashamed of breastfeeding in public, or ashamed that they chose to bottle feed so as not to offend perfect strangers, and then regret it when they see other mothers feed their babies. If more people were supportive (or at least minded their own business), we might see more breastfeeding mums around.
Negative attitudes towards breastfeeding, and the sheer rudeness of certain closed minded individuals, is one of the main reasons women often choose the bottle feed their children. It has been long established that "breast is best", as the mother's milk is the perfect temperature, sterile, and full of everything the baby needs, including very important immunisation properties. I know a lot of women who chose to bottle feed, for one reason or another, but they do talk about the convenience, because "you can feed your baby anywhere". Excuse me? Your breasts are on hand (as it were). It's so sad to see these mothers feel ashamed of breastfeeding in public, or ashamed that they chose to bottle feed so as not to offend perfect strangers, and then regret it when they see other mothers feed their babies. If more people were supportive (or at least minded their own business), we might see more breastfeeding mums around. rhi.anon
  • Score: 19

12:15pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Voice-of-reality says...

I may be wrong but I thought that you could, at Starbucks and other such places, only consume food and drink purchased on the premises - or may I now, in the sprit of mischeviousness, bring my own 'bottle of choice' to drink from?
I may be wrong but I thought that you could, at Starbucks and other such places, only consume food and drink purchased on the premises - or may I now, in the sprit of mischeviousness, bring my own 'bottle of choice' to drink from? Voice-of-reality
  • Score: -4

12:38pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Yemen says...

Voice-of-reality wrote:
I may be wrong but I thought that you could, at Starbucks and other such places, only consume food and drink purchased on the premises - or may I now, in the sprit of mischeviousness, bring my own 'bottle of choice' to drink from?
VOR sometimes i agree with you and your points but on this i do not.

Equating breastfeeding to getting your genitals out in public ? c'mon you usually offer up better thought out reasoning than that casual and poorly though out straw-man.
[quote][p][bold]Voice-of-reality[/bold] wrote: I may be wrong but I thought that you could, at Starbucks and other such places, only consume food and drink purchased on the premises - or may I now, in the sprit of mischeviousness, bring my own 'bottle of choice' to drink from?[/p][/quote]VOR sometimes i agree with you and your points but on this i do not. Equating breastfeeding to getting your genitals out in public ? c'mon you usually offer up better thought out reasoning than that casual and poorly though out straw-man. Yemen
  • Score: 9

12:44pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Voice-of-reality says...

The second post was merely humorous. However, I would suggest that the issue of potential voyeurism does need to be considered. After all, no one would want certain types of men and adolescent boys to take advantage of the situation and perhaps, therefore, it would be better to have a specifically designed area for breast feeding - in the same way (and I am not likening the two activities) that there used to be smoking and non-smoking rooms. That way all manner of sensitives can be overcome
The second post was merely humorous. However, I would suggest that the issue of potential voyeurism does need to be considered. After all, no one would want certain types of men and adolescent boys to take advantage of the situation and perhaps, therefore, it would be better to have a specifically designed area for breast feeding - in the same way (and I am not likening the two activities) that there used to be smoking and non-smoking rooms. That way all manner of sensitives can be overcome Voice-of-reality
  • Score: 4

12:47pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Voice-of-reality says...

I should have added, for the record, that I also think that men should cover upand that the priactice of wearing string vests or being bare chested in public (by which I refer to walking down a street or being in Sainsburys - not on a beach) whenever the sun shines should also be discouraged. Underwear (whether male or female) is also better as 'under' wear rather than above trousers with these low slung trousers that young men wear and 4 inches of thong really does not need to be displayed in public.
I should have added, for the record, that I also think that men should cover upand that the priactice of wearing string vests or being bare chested in public (by which I refer to walking down a street or being in Sainsburys - not on a beach) whenever the sun shines should also be discouraged. Underwear (whether male or female) is also better as 'under' wear rather than above trousers with these low slung trousers that young men wear and 4 inches of thong really does not need to be displayed in public. Voice-of-reality
  • Score: 16

12:49pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Colcat says...

Grow up? I was simply stating examples that the justification given for breastfeeding can also be given to, highlighting that the argument being put forward is not infallible and can equally applied to other natural and healthy activities. To further this point: Didyoumeantobesorude
? said "It is natural, and it is normal. It is what breasts are for." I could describe what other parts of the body are for, but it would still be unacceptable to do these things in public, making this part of the argument moot. Other than that, Mistake, I think you made a fair comment.

I also believe that I made a fair comment in a non-XCXXXXXXXXXXXX, yet because Didyoumeantobesorude
? disagrees with me I'm prejudiced and misogynistic! Anyone who regularly reads the online comments section of the Northern Echo would see that I often speak up for the LGBT community, I speak up on race issues, feminists issues, equality issues, education issues, for the poorer members of society, etc. I do not believe that I am prejudiced nor misogynistic. I just believe that breasts are not for public display, whether that be on page 3, down the beach, or in a cafe (or wherever) breastfeeding. The purpose of breasts is dual: feeding a baby, and as part of the courtship and mating ritual (that's not just my opinion, it's a scientific fact). Is it then surprising that, as so many women - not all by a long stretch of the imagination - use their breasts to titillate (an apt word!) and partially reveal them, yet go to such lengths to hide parts of them, that a lot of men AND women then become confused as to how to react when they see breastfeeding, and therefore feel uncomfortable?
Grow up? I was simply stating examples that the justification given for breastfeeding can also be given to, highlighting that the argument being put forward is not infallible and can equally applied to other natural and healthy activities. To further this point: Didyoumeantobesorude ? said "It is natural, and it is normal. It is what breasts are for." I could describe what other parts of the body are for, but it would still be unacceptable to do these things in public, making this part of the argument moot. Other than that, Mistake, I think you made a fair comment. I also believe that I made a fair comment in a non-XCXXXXXXXXXXXX, yet because Didyoumeantobesorude ? disagrees with me I'm prejudiced and misogynistic! Anyone who regularly reads the online comments section of the Northern Echo would see that I often speak up for the LGBT community, I speak up on race issues, feminists issues, equality issues, education issues, for the poorer members of society, etc. I do not believe that I am prejudiced nor misogynistic. I just believe that breasts are not for public display, whether that be on page 3, down the beach, or in a cafe (or wherever) breastfeeding. The purpose of breasts is dual: feeding a baby, and as part of the courtship and mating ritual (that's not just my opinion, it's a scientific fact). Is it then surprising that, as so many women - not all by a long stretch of the imagination - use their breasts to titillate (an apt word!) and partially reveal them, yet go to such lengths to hide parts of them, that a lot of men AND women then become confused as to how to react when they see breastfeeding, and therefore feel uncomfortable? Colcat
  • Score: -5

12:51pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Colcat says...

* non-XCXXXXXXXXXXXX - forgot to go back and replace this with non-prejudiced offensive way.
* non-XCXXXXXXXXXXXX - forgot to go back and replace this with non-prejudiced offensive way. Colcat
  • Score: -4

1:12pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Pierremontquaker03 says...

If it is a choice in a restaurant or any public area infact between a screaming hungry baby versus the baby not being fed - I know what I would choose all day long - a baby wants to be fed when it is hungry and there is usually very little or no warning- the baby wants to be fed there and then. I think a lot of people who are causing a fuss here are people who have not had the experience of parent hood which is an extremely difficult and challenging job at times.
Of course common sense should prevail and if there is a more convenient place in sight to do it then that should be done- and I am sure a woman would want to do that anyway rather than infront of everyone.
Breast milk is important in the first few months to a baby so I cant believe some people take offense when surely we should want the best start in life for every baby.
If it is a choice in a restaurant or any public area infact between a screaming hungry baby versus the baby not being fed - I know what I would choose all day long - a baby wants to be fed when it is hungry and there is usually very little or no warning- the baby wants to be fed there and then. I think a lot of people who are causing a fuss here are people who have not had the experience of parent hood which is an extremely difficult and challenging job at times. Of course common sense should prevail and if there is a more convenient place in sight to do it then that should be done- and I am sure a woman would want to do that anyway rather than infront of everyone. Breast milk is important in the first few months to a baby so I cant believe some people take offense when surely we should want the best start in life for every baby. Pierremontquaker03
  • Score: 11

1:44pm Mon 17 Mar 14

DaisyBear says...

I think Colcat's comments are perfectly reasonable.

I would prefer that a baby be fed than scream, but I do not see why doing so out of sight is incompatible with the objective. If the lady/ies in question arrived by car, then feeding the baby in the car seems a reasonable compromise. I also do not see anything wrong with feeding a baby in a toilet - the logic that adults would not want to eat in a toilet so why should a baby is flawed. It is likely that adults would be asked to leave a restaurant if they defecated in their pants at the table (and yes, others can smell a dirty nappy), or quietly threw up that which they had consumed onto themselves or someone/thing nearby. Babies are not adults, and pretending that they are is silly. Another illogical argument is that it is better to breastfeed than stuff chips and chocolate into the child - a two-month-old is not going to be eating that anyway.
It seems odd that this society condemns offending people when it suits a certain agenda, but other, more powerful lobbyists (such as the breastfeeding crew) get away with it.
I very cheerfully breastfed my children and found it economical, logical, convenient and (I presumed) better for the children. It didn't bother me where I fed them, but it bothers others. So I didn't breastfeed my children in public (yes, horrors, I used the toilets if needs be) or in front of my father, for example, who found it offensive. It was just a matter of trying to be considerate and understanding to others in the hope that, when my child almost inevitably would do something publicly annoying, like shrieking, people would be considerate and understanding back.
I think Colcat's comments are perfectly reasonable. I would prefer that a baby be fed than scream, but I do not see why doing so out of sight is incompatible with the objective. If the lady/ies in question arrived by car, then feeding the baby in the car seems a reasonable compromise. I also do not see anything wrong with feeding a baby in a toilet - the logic that adults would not want to eat in a toilet so why should a baby is flawed. It is likely that adults would be asked to leave a restaurant if they defecated in their pants at the table (and yes, others can smell a dirty nappy), or quietly threw up that which they had consumed onto themselves or someone/thing nearby. Babies are not adults, and pretending that they are is silly. Another illogical argument is that it is better to breastfeed than stuff chips and chocolate into the child - a two-month-old is not going to be eating that anyway. It seems odd that this society condemns offending people when it suits a certain agenda, but other, more powerful lobbyists (such as the breastfeeding crew) get away with it. I very cheerfully breastfed my children and found it economical, logical, convenient and (I presumed) better for the children. It didn't bother me where I fed them, but it bothers others. So I didn't breastfeed my children in public (yes, horrors, I used the toilets if needs be) or in front of my father, for example, who found it offensive. It was just a matter of trying to be considerate and understanding to others in the hope that, when my child almost inevitably would do something publicly annoying, like shrieking, people would be considerate and understanding back. DaisyBear
  • Score: 2

2:19pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Yemen says...

DaisyBear wrote:
I think Colcat's comments are perfectly reasonable.

I would prefer that a baby be fed than scream, but I do not see why doing so out of sight is incompatible with the objective. If the lady/ies in question arrived by car, then feeding the baby in the car seems a reasonable compromise. I also do not see anything wrong with feeding a baby in a toilet - the logic that adults would not want to eat in a toilet so why should a baby is flawed. It is likely that adults would be asked to leave a restaurant if they defecated in their pants at the table (and yes, others can smell a dirty nappy), or quietly threw up that which they had consumed onto themselves or someone/thing nearby. Babies are not adults, and pretending that they are is silly. Another illogical argument is that it is better to breastfeed than stuff chips and chocolate into the child - a two-month-old is not going to be eating that anyway.
It seems odd that this society condemns offending people when it suits a certain agenda, but other, more powerful lobbyists (such as the breastfeeding crew) get away with it.
I very cheerfully breastfed my children and found it economical, logical, convenient and (I presumed) better for the children. It didn't bother me where I fed them, but it bothers others. So I didn't breastfeed my children in public (yes, horrors, I used the toilets if needs be) or in front of my father, for example, who found it offensive. It was just a matter of trying to be considerate and understanding to others in the hope that, when my child almost inevitably would do something publicly annoying, like shrieking, people would be considerate and understanding back.
I presume you are referring to my comment.. of course any reasonably intelligent parent will not feed their child such things at such an early age. i was referring to toddlers (as i said in the comment), therefore i think it falls outside of the 'breast is best' argument. i stated something i found more offensive, i could have picked any number of things but chose that. things such as playing music on your mobile loudspeaker in public, using a phone while driving, letting your dog mess in the street while not picking it up and i'll join ranks with VOR on the low slung trousers bit too.

Anyway...

You are correct that babies are not adults, then again its not the babies getting upset about public breastfeeding its the adults. breastfeeding is natural and right. IMHO people need to realise this and get over themselves, we lag behind the rest of Europe in this (breastfeeding) and its lamentable.

strange that as a society we now embrace LBGT issues and have at last allowed the gay marriage bill to pass and yet something like breastfeeding manages to stir emotions :/
[quote][p][bold]DaisyBear[/bold] wrote: I think Colcat's comments are perfectly reasonable. I would prefer that a baby be fed than scream, but I do not see why doing so out of sight is incompatible with the objective. If the lady/ies in question arrived by car, then feeding the baby in the car seems a reasonable compromise. I also do not see anything wrong with feeding a baby in a toilet - the logic that adults would not want to eat in a toilet so why should a baby is flawed. It is likely that adults would be asked to leave a restaurant if they defecated in their pants at the table (and yes, others can smell a dirty nappy), or quietly threw up that which they had consumed onto themselves or someone/thing nearby. Babies are not adults, and pretending that they are is silly. Another illogical argument is that it is better to breastfeed than stuff chips and chocolate into the child - a two-month-old is not going to be eating that anyway. It seems odd that this society condemns offending people when it suits a certain agenda, but other, more powerful lobbyists (such as the breastfeeding crew) get away with it. I very cheerfully breastfed my children and found it economical, logical, convenient and (I presumed) better for the children. It didn't bother me where I fed them, but it bothers others. So I didn't breastfeed my children in public (yes, horrors, I used the toilets if needs be) or in front of my father, for example, who found it offensive. It was just a matter of trying to be considerate and understanding to others in the hope that, when my child almost inevitably would do something publicly annoying, like shrieking, people would be considerate and understanding back.[/p][/quote]I presume you are referring to my comment.. of course any reasonably intelligent parent will not feed their child such things at such an early age. i was referring to toddlers (as i said in the comment), therefore i think it falls outside of the 'breast is best' argument. i stated something i found more offensive, i could have picked any number of things but chose that. things such as playing music on your mobile loudspeaker in public, using a phone while driving, letting your dog mess in the street while not picking it up and i'll join ranks with VOR on the low slung trousers bit too. Anyway... You are correct that babies are not adults, then again its not the babies getting upset about public breastfeeding its the adults. breastfeeding is natural and right. IMHO people need to realise this and get over themselves, we lag behind the rest of Europe in this (breastfeeding) and its lamentable. strange that as a society we now embrace LBGT issues and have at last allowed the gay marriage bill to pass and yet something like breastfeeding manages to stir emotions :/ Yemen
  • Score: 8

2:55pm Mon 17 Mar 14

grandmab says...

Most of the breastfeeding women I meet across the globe do so in a discrete manner. They carry a blanket or wear clothing conducive to discretion. Only in Britain do I see women haul out their breast and shove it in the kids mouth and stare around to make sure every one has noticed. Even here that is a small minority. I see nothing wrong with public breastfeeding only public indecency. Breastfeeding in and of itself is not indecent. It is the behavior of some mothers who breastfeed that offends people. Perhaps they were not brought up to respect themselves and others.
Most of the breastfeeding women I meet across the globe do so in a discrete manner. They carry a blanket or wear clothing conducive to discretion. Only in Britain do I see women haul out their breast and shove it in the kids mouth and stare around to make sure every one has noticed. Even here that is a small minority. I see nothing wrong with public breastfeeding only public indecency. Breastfeeding in and of itself is not indecent. It is the behavior of some mothers who breastfeed that offends people. Perhaps they were not brought up to respect themselves and others. grandmab
  • Score: 8

2:58pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Didyoumeantobesorude? says...

Colcat is right, breasts are not for public display. However, unless people are staring (which it is rude to do anyway), or really really close (also rude, and usually avoided by breastfeeding mums), there's not much to see when a woman is breastfeeding a baby. THere's a great big head in the way, and yes DaisyBear most women prefer to do it discreetly. I usually find an unobtrusive place and most people have no idea I am feeding when I am. I have fed all over the north east and never flashed anything to anyone. I have fed on park benches, in restaurants, at toddler groups, on the quayside in Newcastle / Gateshead, on the viewing platform at the Baltic, in Eldon Square, on fell tops during walks. It looks, to any onlooker further than 6 inches away from my bosom, like I am giving my baby a lovely cuddle. The difference with this protest is that it was designed to be just that. It was a protest and discreet protests don't usually achieve much.

But no, no-one should have to feed or be fed in a toilet. Just no.
Colcat is right, breasts are not for public display. However, unless people are staring (which it is rude to do anyway), or really really close (also rude, and usually avoided by breastfeeding mums), there's not much to see when a woman is breastfeeding a baby. THere's a great big head in the way, and yes DaisyBear most women prefer to do it discreetly. I usually find an unobtrusive place and most people have no idea I am feeding when I am. I have fed all over the north east and never flashed anything to anyone. I have fed on park benches, in restaurants, at toddler groups, on the quayside in Newcastle / Gateshead, on the viewing platform at the Baltic, in Eldon Square, on fell tops during walks. It looks, to any onlooker further than 6 inches away from my bosom, like I am giving my baby a lovely cuddle. The difference with this protest is that it was designed to be just that. It was a protest and discreet protests don't usually achieve much. But no, no-one should have to feed or be fed in a toilet. Just no. Didyoumeantobesorude?
  • Score: 5

3:00pm Mon 17 Mar 14

pixie4612 says...

I am so shocked that people would ever have a view that breastfeeding in public places is wrong. What would you like mothers to do instead, never leave the house?
Women who breastfeed generally do so as discreetly as they can, and to think someone would take a photo, call them a tramp and send it around social media is one of the most disgusting things I have heard.
Babies require milk, the milk from the breast is best, so feeding the baby from the breast whenever and wherever required is essential and should be applauded rather than frowned upon.
I hope the people who hold the views that mothers and babies should be made to sit in their car or the toilet rather then sit amongst their friends seriously rethink their views. Comparisons to masturbation and urination are immature at best, pathetic at worst.
Well done to all the women who joined in the demo, be proud! And to all who are offended why don’t you do us all a favour and stay at home…hammering ridiculous beliefs and insults on your keyboard.
I am so shocked that people would ever have a view that breastfeeding in public places is wrong. What would you like mothers to do instead, never leave the house? Women who breastfeed generally do so as discreetly as they can, and to think someone would take a photo, call them a tramp and send it around social media is one of the most disgusting things I have heard. Babies require milk, the milk from the breast is best, so feeding the baby from the breast whenever and wherever required is essential and should be applauded rather than frowned upon. I hope the people who hold the views that mothers and babies should be made to sit in their car or the toilet rather then sit amongst their friends seriously rethink their views. Comparisons to masturbation and urination are immature at best, pathetic at worst. Well done to all the women who joined in the demo, be proud! And to all who are offended why don’t you do us all a favour and stay at home…hammering ridiculous beliefs and insults on your keyboard. pixie4612
  • Score: 7

3:20pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Mr bright side says...

Get em out for the lads whaaaaaeeeyyyyyyyy!!
!
Get em out for the lads whaaaaaeeeyyyyyyyy!! ! Mr bright side
  • Score: -13

3:42pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Red rose lad says...

I don't have a problem with children being breast-fed in public. Both of my kids were breast-fed and I'm convinced that it is the best start for children. I certainly don't agree with mothers being ushered away to the toilets with their babies at feed time. However some people do find public breastfeeding objectionable so maybe a little thought for those people and a bit of discretion may be in order. I suspect what is behind this demo may be what a well-known TV doctor recently termed "the Breastapo". Those overbearing mammary warriors who force their opinion on others and brow-beat young mothers who may choose to bottle-feed or are unable to breast-feed their offspring. Some of them are midwives by the way. It's a matter of choice but as in all things, have a bit of consideration for others with differing views.
I don't have a problem with children being breast-fed in public. Both of my kids were breast-fed and I'm convinced that it is the best start for children. I certainly don't agree with mothers being ushered away to the toilets with their babies at feed time. However some people do find public breastfeeding objectionable so maybe a little thought for those people and a bit of discretion may be in order. I suspect what is behind this demo may be what a well-known TV doctor recently termed "the Breastapo". Those overbearing mammary warriors who force their opinion on others and brow-beat young mothers who may choose to bottle-feed or are unable to breast-feed their offspring. Some of them are midwives by the way. It's a matter of choice but as in all things, have a bit of consideration for others with differing views. Red rose lad
  • Score: 9

4:32pm Mon 17 Mar 14

SS says...

I fed my little lad till he was just over a year and my little girl is 6 months and I am still feeding her. When they were very tiny babies I would just feed them anywhere, the supermarket, a cafe, in the car, friends houses, when eating lunch etc etc. However, once they got a bit bigger say 7 months I personally preferred for them to wait until I got to somewhere a bit more private. Simply because it was harder to be discreet when they were that bit bigger. I have spent many an hour in the baby room at Mothercare in Darlington.....but that is closing down now I believe. The saddest thing I ever saw was a young mum produce this tent like thing and her partner clipped it onto her. She couldn't have drawn more attention to herself if she had tried. As for people suggesting public toilets as an appropriate place to feed.....are you having a laugh. They are dirty and smelly and whether it be for myself or my little one I am in and out of them as quickly as possible.
I fed my little lad till he was just over a year and my little girl is 6 months and I am still feeding her. When they were very tiny babies I would just feed them anywhere, the supermarket, a cafe, in the car, friends houses, when eating lunch etc etc. However, once they got a bit bigger say 7 months I personally preferred for them to wait until I got to somewhere a bit more private. Simply because it was harder to be discreet when they were that bit bigger. I have spent many an hour in the baby room at Mothercare in Darlington.....but that is closing down now I believe. The saddest thing I ever saw was a young mum produce this tent like thing and her partner clipped it onto her. She couldn't have drawn more attention to herself if she had tried. As for people suggesting public toilets as an appropriate place to feed.....are you having a laugh. They are dirty and smelly and whether it be for myself or my little one I am in and out of them as quickly as possible. SS
  • Score: 6

5:03pm Mon 17 Mar 14

DaisyBear says...

Perhaps I am expecting a little too much. Generally I avoid places that have dirty and smelly toilets because I don't like them for myself - Starbucks, where the protest was held, works hard to keep washrooms clean. I don't expect women to stay at home all day, but I did not suggest that. Generally one has a sense of when feeds will be and therefore can make sure one is in a suitable place. If, of course, all these mothers are beset by infants with spectacularly unpredictable feeding times, then perhaps I would revise my opinion. In general, however, I found that sacrificing my own personal shopping and gabbing in restaurants time to give my children more of my one-on-one time was a good thing.

Frankly too much of it seems to be a kind of militant motherism - just like a woman with a pram will force an elderly person off a sidewalk, or that a street will be jammed with cars picking up children from school, and so on. The Mumsnet mafia, as it were - their way or be publicly persecuted.
Perhaps I am expecting a little too much. Generally I avoid places that have dirty and smelly toilets because I don't like them for myself - Starbucks, where the protest was held, works hard to keep washrooms clean. I don't expect women to stay at home all day, but I did not suggest that. Generally one has a sense of when feeds will be and therefore can make sure one is in a suitable place. If, of course, all these mothers are beset by infants with spectacularly unpredictable feeding times, then perhaps I would revise my opinion. In general, however, I found that sacrificing my own personal shopping and gabbing in restaurants time to give my children more of my one-on-one time was a good thing. Frankly too much of it seems to be a kind of militant motherism - just like a woman with a pram will force an elderly person off a sidewalk, or that a street will be jammed with cars picking up children from school, and so on. The Mumsnet mafia, as it were - their way or be publicly persecuted. DaisyBear
  • Score: 0

5:45pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Voice-of-reality says...

I think I may be in love.
I think I may be in love. Voice-of-reality
  • Score: -7

5:58pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Zoggy1804 says...

Wish I'd know they were doing a mass protest I would have organised one in Darlington. More people need to see its normal!
Wish I'd know they were doing a mass protest I would have organised one in Darlington. More people need to see its normal! Zoggy1804
  • Score: 2

6:45pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Jackaranda says...

If I went into Starbucks and shouted "T!TS OOT FOR THE LADS", would one end up in the back of a Black Maria?
If I went into Starbucks and shouted "T!TS OOT FOR THE LADS", would one end up in the back of a Black Maria? Jackaranda
  • Score: -7

7:04pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Originalneilg says...

NO EINSTEIN wrote:
Yes Yes Yes its normal and natural, but we are British not savages, lets have some decency here.

If I want the toilet I don't just do it anywhere, I go to a public convenience.
You certainly are no Einstein. Go back to your pint down Hogans.

-26 and counting.
[quote][p][bold]NO EINSTEIN[/bold] wrote: Yes Yes Yes its normal and natural, but we are British not savages, lets have some decency here. If I want the toilet I don't just do it anywhere, I go to a public convenience.[/p][/quote]You certainly are no Einstein. Go back to your pint down Hogans. -26 and counting. Originalneilg
  • Score: 4

8:02pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Mr bright side says...

Just imagine, all women lined up with their breasts out, id certainly support that ohhh yes, u should all get em out in public....for breastfeeding of course!
Just imagine, all women lined up with their breasts out, id certainly support that ohhh yes, u should all get em out in public....for breastfeeding of course! Mr bright side
  • Score: -14

8:18pm Mon 17 Mar 14

NO EINSTEIN says...

Originalneilg wrote:
NO EINSTEIN wrote:
Yes Yes Yes its normal and natural, but we are British not savages, lets have some decency here.

If I want the toilet I don't just do it anywhere, I go to a public convenience.
You certainly are no Einstein. Go back to your pint down Hogans.

-26 and counting.
Please stay off the drugs, your comment makes no sense.
[quote][p][bold]Originalneilg[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]NO EINSTEIN[/bold] wrote: Yes Yes Yes its normal and natural, but we are British not savages, lets have some decency here. If I want the toilet I don't just do it anywhere, I go to a public convenience.[/p][/quote]You certainly are no Einstein. Go back to your pint down Hogans. -26 and counting.[/p][/quote]Please stay off the drugs, your comment makes no sense. NO EINSTEIN
  • Score: -9

8:19pm Mon 17 Mar 14

NO EINSTEIN says...

nigel d wrote:
NO EINSTEIN wrote:
VOR Help me here, please,,,,,,,,,,,,
You certainly need help.
Yes I know, the world is full of perverts.
[quote][p][bold]nigel d[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]NO EINSTEIN[/bold] wrote: VOR Help me here, please,,,,,,,,,,,,[/p][/quote]You certainly need help.[/p][/quote]Yes I know, the world is full of perverts. NO EINSTEIN
  • Score: -7

8:21pm Mon 17 Mar 14

NO EINSTEIN says...

nigel d wrote:
NO EINSTEIN wrote:
VOR Help me here, please,,,,,,,,,,,,
You certainly need help.
Yes I agree nigel d,
How do we stop all these perverts wanting to look at this sort of thing, thanks for your support.
[quote][p][bold]nigel d[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]NO EINSTEIN[/bold] wrote: VOR Help me here, please,,,,,,,,,,,,[/p][/quote]You certainly need help.[/p][/quote]Yes I agree nigel d, How do we stop all these perverts wanting to look at this sort of thing, thanks for your support. NO EINSTEIN
  • Score: -5

8:25pm Mon 17 Mar 14

NO EINSTEIN says...

NO EINSTEIN wrote:
Yes Yes Yes its normal and natural, but we are British not savages, lets have some decency here.

If I want the toilet I don't just do it anywhere, I go to a public convenience.
It really worries me about the amount of thumbs down i've had, it would appear there is a lot of pervert voyeurs out there, PLEASE SEE YOUR GP.
[quote][p][bold]NO EINSTEIN[/bold] wrote: Yes Yes Yes its normal and natural, but we are British not savages, lets have some decency here. If I want the toilet I don't just do it anywhere, I go to a public convenience.[/p][/quote]It really worries me about the amount of thumbs down i've had, it would appear there is a lot of pervert voyeurs out there, PLEASE SEE YOUR GP. NO EINSTEIN
  • Score: -6

8:38pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Originalneilg says...

NO EINSTEIN wrote:
NO EINSTEIN wrote:
Yes Yes Yes its normal and natural, but we are British not savages, lets have some decency here.

If I want the toilet I don't just do it anywhere, I go to a public convenience.
It really worries me about the amount of thumbs down i've had, it would appear there is a lot of pervert voyeurs out there, PLEASE SEE YOUR GP.
-27 votes now bright guy. Doing well.....
[quote][p][bold]NO EINSTEIN[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]NO EINSTEIN[/bold] wrote: Yes Yes Yes its normal and natural, but we are British not savages, lets have some decency here. If I want the toilet I don't just do it anywhere, I go to a public convenience.[/p][/quote]It really worries me about the amount of thumbs down i've had, it would appear there is a lot of pervert voyeurs out there, PLEASE SEE YOUR GP.[/p][/quote]-27 votes now bright guy. Doing well..... Originalneilg
  • Score: 0

9:31pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Voice-of-reality says...

Don't worry No Einstein - I have previously received a score of -99. It merely shows that you are standing up for tradition and refusing to submit to the namby-pamby woolly liberal beliefs that ‘flip-flop’ on an almost daily basis. Like brown brogues and cords - your views are never 'in fashion' but are never totally 'out of fashion' they are a constant - the sort of constant that has benefitted the country for millennia and is akin to that 'small voice of calm' to which society always returns after momentary lapses into hot-headedness.
Don't worry No Einstein - I have previously received a score of -99. It merely shows that you are standing up for tradition and refusing to submit to the namby-pamby woolly liberal beliefs that ‘flip-flop’ on an almost daily basis. Like brown brogues and cords - your views are never 'in fashion' but are never totally 'out of fashion' they are a constant - the sort of constant that has benefitted the country for millennia and is akin to that 'small voice of calm' to which society always returns after momentary lapses into hot-headedness. Voice-of-reality
  • Score: -10

7:38am Tue 18 Mar 14

Yemen says...

Oh FFS .,.. the world is not full of perverts...

breast feeding is natural. if you think its perverted to do in public then you yourself are either a pervert or buying into to PC, nanny state and tabloid rag propaganda... the same propaganda that tells you the world is full of peadophiles, rapists and a terror cell in every mosque.
Oh FFS .,.. the world is not full of perverts... breast feeding is natural. if you think its perverted to do in public then you yourself are either a pervert or buying into to PC, nanny state and tabloid rag propaganda... the same propaganda that tells you the world is full of peadophiles, rapists and a terror cell in every mosque. Yemen
  • Score: 6

8:47am Tue 18 Mar 14

MrsKnitter says...

Where on earth are you people looking? I have never seen a breastfeeding mother 'flop' them out ...... you see more boob down Grange Road on a Saturday night than you do from mothers breastfeeding. Also, would you ask a formula feeding mother to give their baby a bottle in a toilet?

Regardless of any of your ignorant views, it is illegal to ask a mother to stop breast feeding so I suggest you learn to live with it or stop going out.
Where on earth are you people looking? I have never seen a breastfeeding mother 'flop' them out ...... you see more boob down Grange Road on a Saturday night than you do from mothers breastfeeding. Also, would you ask a formula feeding mother to give their baby a bottle in a toilet? Regardless of any of your ignorant views, it is illegal to ask a mother to stop breast feeding so I suggest you learn to live with it or stop going out. MrsKnitter
  • Score: 13

9:37am Tue 18 Mar 14

snudge says...

Children should be confined to their homes until
l the the age of 10 why should the be able to polutet the the environment with their constant wailing and tantrums. Air lines should ban all children as well
Children should be confined to their homes until l the the age of 10 why should the be able to polutet the the environment with their constant wailing and tantrums. Air lines should ban all children as well snudge
  • Score: -4

10:47am Tue 18 Mar 14

Voice-of-reality says...

Snudge - you are quite correct - though I would make an exception for those who are accompanied by nannies. The banning of those wretched plastic chairs that they thump in the cafe in Sainsburys would also be a step in the right direction.
Of course, prep school followed by boarding is also to be encouraged - they return home when civilised.
Snudge - you are quite correct - though I would make an exception for those who are accompanied by nannies. The banning of those wretched plastic chairs that they thump in the cafe in Sainsburys would also be a step in the right direction. Of course, prep school followed by boarding is also to be encouraged - they return home when civilised. Voice-of-reality
  • Score: -8

12:27pm Tue 18 Mar 14

Victoria-Slinglady says...

Hello
for those who have an issue with a baby being fed in public would you like to see Page 3 stopped too or is it only when a baby is covering up a boob you have the issue ?
Hello for those who have an issue with a baby being fed in public would you like to see Page 3 stopped too or is it only when a baby is covering up a boob you have the issue ? Victoria-Slinglady
  • Score: 9

12:41pm Tue 18 Mar 14

Voice-of-reality says...

Of more interest is the startling fact that if page 3 also included an infant it would be Level 2 image indecent image of a child (it would be counted as intercourse with a child) - biazarre I know but true. Moreover, a prison sentence would be a possibility. What a peculiar and mixed up world we live in.
Of more interest is the startling fact that if page 3 also included an infant it would be Level 2 image indecent image of a child (it would be counted as intercourse with a child) - biazarre I know but true. Moreover, a prison sentence would be a possibility. What a peculiar and mixed up world we live in. Voice-of-reality
  • Score: -3

12:52pm Tue 18 Mar 14

Yemen says...

Voice-of-reality wrote:
Of more interest is the startling fact that if page 3 also included an infant it would be Level 2 image indecent image of a child (it would be counted as intercourse with a child) - biazarre I know but true. Moreover, a prison sentence would be a possibility. What a peculiar and mixed up world we live in.
VOR you cannot be any further from reality if you tried... a quick internet search show us that you are completely and demonstrably wrong !

The following is take directly from the governments website.
http://www.cps.gov.u
k/legal/s_to_u/sente
ncing_manual/indecen
t_images_of_children
/

The levels of seriousness (in ascending order) for sentencing for offences involving pornographic images are:
Level 1 Images depicting erotic posing with no sexual activity
Level 2 Non-penetrative sexual activity between children, or solo masturbation by a child Level
3 Non-penetrative sexual activity between adults and children
Level 4 Penetrative sexual activity involving a child or children, or both children and adults
Level 5 Sadism or penetration of, or by, an animal.

so... is not a fact and the only thing startling is you think that an image of a breastfeeding mother is indecent.

maybe you are one of these perverts that No-Einstein was on about ? /s
[quote][p][bold]Voice-of-reality[/bold] wrote: Of more interest is the startling fact that if page 3 also included an infant it would be Level 2 image indecent image of a child (it would be counted as intercourse with a child) - biazarre I know but true. Moreover, a prison sentence would be a possibility. What a peculiar and mixed up world we live in.[/p][/quote]VOR you cannot be any further from reality if you tried... a quick internet search show us that you are completely and demonstrably wrong ! The following is take directly from the governments website. http://www.cps.gov.u k/legal/s_to_u/sente ncing_manual/indecen t_images_of_children / The levels of seriousness (in ascending order) for sentencing for offences involving pornographic images are: Level 1 Images depicting erotic posing with no sexual activity Level 2 Non-penetrative sexual activity between children, or solo masturbation by a child Level 3 Non-penetrative sexual activity between adults and children Level 4 Penetrative sexual activity involving a child or children, or both children and adults Level 5 Sadism or penetration of, or by, an animal. so... is not a fact and the only thing startling is you think that an image of a breastfeeding mother is indecent. maybe you are one of these perverts that No-Einstein was on about ? /s Yemen
  • Score: 4

1:02pm Tue 18 Mar 14

Voice-of-reality says...

You are correct - I did make a mistake - it is deemed as 'Level 3' non penetrative sexual activity - in the same way that a picture of a baby in a bath (fully covered by bubbles) is deemed to be Level 1, as is a 'provocative pose' by a pre-teen. Do feel free to look up instances of te scale you mention and sentencing guidelines.
Don't blame me - its the CPS guidleines - not mine. I would agree that a breastfeeding mother is not indecent - I, however, am neither the CPS nor the Police who bring charges for 'perfectly normal' images of everyday life that, with reference to the bath comment - I am sure adorn a majority of grandmotherly matelpieces throughout the region.
With respect therefore, Yemen, I am not demonstrably wrong - ( I wish I were) - though I will accept that the present 'standing' of the law is quite startling.
You are correct - I did make a mistake - it is deemed as 'Level 3' non penetrative sexual activity - in the same way that a picture of a baby in a bath (fully covered by bubbles) is deemed to be Level 1, as is a 'provocative pose' by a pre-teen. Do feel free to look up instances of te scale you mention and sentencing guidelines. Don't blame me - its the CPS guidleines - not mine. I would agree that a breastfeeding mother is not indecent - I, however, am neither the CPS nor the Police who bring charges for 'perfectly normal' images of everyday life that, with reference to the bath comment - I am sure adorn a majority of grandmotherly matelpieces throughout the region. With respect therefore, Yemen, I am not demonstrably wrong - ( I wish I were) - though I will accept that the present 'standing' of the law is quite startling. Voice-of-reality
  • Score: -8

1:11pm Tue 18 Mar 14

Yemen says...

VOR breast feeding is not a sexual activity nor is it pornographic in any way... if it were a mothers right to breastfeed in public would not be enshrined by law.

i stand by what i say. you are wrong and your page 3 straw man is laughable

you lost this argument a long long time ago, You are resorting to ever increasingly strange and far fetched claims. This one really takes the biscuit !
VOR breast feeding is not a sexual activity nor is it pornographic in any way... if it were a mothers right to breastfeed in public would not be enshrined by law. i stand by what i say. you are wrong and your page 3 straw man is laughable you lost this argument a long long time ago, You are resorting to ever increasingly strange and far fetched claims. This one really takes the biscuit ! Yemen
  • Score: 8

1:46pm Tue 18 Mar 14

cushybutterfield says...

A great idea, I am all for breast feeding in public, a perfectly **natural part of British female historical Culture. After all we have certain **** host punters**** in Britain advocating' burning dead bodies in public' and 'drunken drink frenzied yobs for years' have urinated in public in the streets of the' North East. Therefore rather have *******breastfeeding any day****** compared****** with these 'latter' two disgusting examples.
A great idea, I am all for breast feeding in public, a perfectly **natural part of British female historical Culture. After all we have certain **** host punters**** in Britain advocating' burning dead bodies in public' and 'drunken drink frenzied yobs for years' have urinated in public in the streets of the' North East. Therefore rather have *******breastfeeding any day****** compared****** with these 'latter' two disgusting examples. cushybutterfield
  • Score: 3

2:03pm Tue 18 Mar 14

Colcat says...

Victoria-Slinglady wrote:
Hello
for those who have an issue with a baby being fed in public would you like to see Page 3 stopped too or is it only when a baby is covering up a boob you have the issue ?
From my post further up..." I just believe that breasts are not for public display, whether that be on page 3, down the beach, or in a cafe (or wherever) breastfeeding." So yes, I would like to see Page 3 stopped.
[quote][p][bold]Victoria-Slinglady[/bold] wrote: Hello for those who have an issue with a baby being fed in public would you like to see Page 3 stopped too or is it only when a baby is covering up a boob you have the issue ?[/p][/quote]From my post further up..." I just believe that breasts are not for public display, whether that be on page 3, down the beach, or in a cafe (or wherever) breastfeeding." So yes, I would like to see Page 3 stopped. Colcat
  • Score: -3

4:17pm Tue 18 Mar 14

Copley23 says...

Just laughed my way down the comments! Great reading.

I actually think bare chests in ANY public area is crude. No matter if they are male or female. I do NOT want sweaty pits hanging over the meat in Sainsbury's. You expect just a little bit of decorum and decency and it would seem that has gone out with the ark. A builder turned up at my house last year, shirtless.....I sent him back to his employer and told them to send a grown up, which they did, with apologies. Neither do I like to see half backsides hanging out of lycra.........

So ladies, buy a scarf or something and drape it over please.......we don't all enjoy seeing excess flesh, whatever shape or reason.
Just laughed my way down the comments! Great reading. I actually think bare chests in ANY public area is crude. No matter if they are male or female. I do NOT want sweaty pits hanging over the meat in Sainsbury's. You expect just a little bit of decorum and decency and it would seem that has gone out with the ark. A builder turned up at my house last year, shirtless.....I sent him back to his employer and told them to send a grown up, which they did, with apologies. Neither do I like to see half backsides hanging out of lycra......... So ladies, buy a scarf or something and drape it over please.......we don't all enjoy seeing excess flesh, whatever shape or reason. Copley23
  • Score: 2

1:50pm Wed 19 Mar 14

ianh says...

I was listening to this debate on the radio and assumed it be the usual media hype over a non-story...... until i saw this thread.

I find it quite incredulous that in Britain in 2014 anybody should be offended in any way by the sight of a baby being fed in the most natural of ways.

It says much of the individuals concerned who find breastfeeding so offensive that they can only see this from a sexualised perspective.
How pathetic and immature!
I was listening to this debate on the radio and assumed it be the usual media hype over a non-story...... until i saw this thread. I find it quite incredulous that in Britain in 2014 anybody should be offended in any way by the sight of a baby being fed in the most natural of ways. It says much of the individuals concerned who find breastfeeding so offensive that they can only see this from a sexualised perspective. How pathetic and immature! ianh
  • Score: 8

3:31pm Wed 19 Mar 14

cushybutterfield says...

So why did God (if you believe in God) make breasts. In most tropical hot countries there are an 'abundance of breast's (big, small and otherwise) to be openly seen on a daily basis. So what's ? the big deal in Britain. Let them all ****hang out, its a healthier way to live and artists will love it.
So why did God (if you believe in God) make breasts. In most tropical hot countries there are an 'abundance of breast's (big, small and otherwise) to be openly seen on a daily basis. So what's ? the big deal in Britain. Let them all ****hang out, its a healthier way to live and artists will love it. cushybutterfield
  • Score: -1

3:35pm Wed 19 Mar 14

cushybutterfield says...

A 'heads a head',' an arm a arm', 'a leg is a leg', 'a breast is a breast''. So why have bigoted saddo- repressed people always got to sexualise everything. ?. I'm all for topless waitresses and 'open breast Pole Dancing', its called living and life.
A 'heads a head',' an arm a arm', 'a leg is a leg', 'a breast is a breast''. So why have bigoted saddo- repressed people always got to sexualise everything. ?. I'm all for topless waitresses and 'open breast Pole Dancing', its called living and life. cushybutterfield
  • Score: -2

8:52pm Wed 19 Mar 14

theWorkerScum says...

She can get them out anytime she likes. It's a beautiful natural sight, I for one support it. At least I didn't comment "we are British not savages", so pathetic. Move on, we past all that nonsense.
She can get them out anytime she likes. It's a beautiful natural sight, I for one support it. At least I didn't comment "we are British not savages", so pathetic. Move on, we past all that nonsense. theWorkerScum
  • Score: 3

9:40am Thu 20 Mar 14

cushybutterfield says...

Copley23 Many 'Navvies who built our great Victorian Canals' and Railways' were bare-chested. It a fair bet the first thing you will do on a PUBLIC continental hot and sunny beach is *** strip off in Public and/or at your local swimming pool, (If you don't, well there is something sadly wrong), ..........so what the big deal difference ?. You go on about 'sweaty pits' in Salisbury's well how about on a 'wider issue' people' breaking wind' in Salisbury's and coughing, wheezing and sneezing, 'In your face'.... also, on a wider public issue the tons of 'disgusting muck and petrol/diesel fumes' emitting from your car each year. Eh, just as so called disgusting Eh...........It is called modern day so called living.
Copley23 Many 'Navvies who built our great Victorian Canals' and Railways' were bare-chested. It a fair bet the first thing you will do on a PUBLIC continental hot and sunny beach is *** strip off in Public and/or at your local swimming pool, (If you don't, well there is something sadly wrong), ..........so what the big deal difference ?. You go on about 'sweaty pits' in Salisbury's well how about on a 'wider issue' people' breaking wind' in Salisbury's and coughing, wheezing and sneezing, 'In your face'.... also, on a wider public issue the tons of 'disgusting muck and petrol/diesel fumes' emitting from your car each year. Eh, just as so called disgusting Eh...........It is called modern day so called living. cushybutterfield
  • Score: 0

12:29pm Sun 23 Mar 14

Nosilac says...

Bottle feeding is completely un-natural. We are the only mammal to force feed our children milk from another mammal. Breastfeeding is what nature intended and provides benefits that can never be replicated by formula milk. It also provides protection against breast cancer in the mother and saves thousands of pounds in NHS care as the children are less likely to suffer from illnesses both as babies and throughout their life.

The cells, hormones, and antibodies in breast milk protect babies from illness. This protection is unique; formula cannot match the chemical makeup of human breast milk. In fact, among formula-fed babies, ear infections and diarrhoea are more common. Formula-fed babies also have higher risks of:
• Necrotizing enterocolitis - a disease that affects the gastrointestinal tract in preterm infants.
• Lower respiratory infections
• Asthma
• Obesity
• Type 2 diabetes
Some research shows that breastfeeding can also reduce the risk of Type 1 diabetes, childhood leukaemia, and atopic dermatitis in babies. Breastfeeding has also been shown to lower the risk of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome).

Seems to me that those who choose to bottle feed without even giving breastfeeding a try are the ones who should be vilified for the potential harm to their child? Breastfeeding isn't easy - it can take a while to get it right, but to not try in the first place is a cop out.
Bottle feeding is completely un-natural. We are the only mammal to force feed our children milk from another mammal. Breastfeeding is what nature intended and provides benefits that can never be replicated by formula milk. It also provides protection against breast cancer in the mother and saves thousands of pounds in NHS care as the children are less likely to suffer from illnesses both as babies and throughout their life. The cells, hormones, and antibodies in breast milk protect babies from illness. This protection is unique; formula cannot match the chemical makeup of human breast milk. In fact, among formula-fed babies, ear infections and diarrhoea are more common. Formula-fed babies also have higher risks of: • Necrotizing enterocolitis - a disease that affects the gastrointestinal tract in preterm infants. • Lower respiratory infections • Asthma • Obesity • Type 2 diabetes Some research shows that breastfeeding can also reduce the risk of Type 1 diabetes, childhood leukaemia, and atopic dermatitis in babies. Breastfeeding has also been shown to lower the risk of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome). Seems to me that those who choose to bottle feed without even giving breastfeeding a try are the ones who should be vilified for the potential harm to their child? Breastfeeding isn't easy - it can take a while to get it right, but to not try in the first place is a cop out. Nosilac
  • Score: -1

12:58am Mon 24 Mar 14

Colcat says...

To Nosilac in particular, but certainly to the others that seem to have missed this, I would like to point out that NO-ONE AT ALL in the above comments section has stated that babies should not be breast fed. Okay? In fact I would go as far as to suggest that everyone, without exception, who has commented so far would agree that "breast is best" for babies. That is not what this discussion is about AT ALL. You do not need to list any benefits to the mother or baby, they are not being argued. What people are discussing is whether or not women should breastfeed either publicly or in public at all. For myself, I strongly object to breastfeeding publicly. From what I have read, most of the others who are objecting have this same issue, but I can't speak for anyone else. Just for those who don't understand, I would say that if a woman was in, for example, a cafe and she showed some (what I consider) decorum and turned to face the wall, or draped a scarf, then that is breastfeeding in public, but NOT publicly. See the difference!?! I for one would not have any issues with this. Otherwise, I do!
To Nosilac in particular, but certainly to the others that seem to have missed this, I would like to point out that NO-ONE AT ALL in the above comments section has stated that babies should not be breast fed. Okay? In fact I would go as far as to suggest that everyone, without exception, who has commented so far would agree that "breast is best" for babies. That is not what this discussion is about AT ALL. You do not need to list any benefits to the mother or baby, they are not being argued. What people are discussing is whether or not women should breastfeed either publicly or in public at all. For myself, I strongly object to breastfeeding publicly. From what I have read, most of the others who are objecting have this same issue, but I can't speak for anyone else. Just for those who don't understand, I would say that if a woman was in, for example, a cafe and she showed some (what I consider) decorum and turned to face the wall, or draped a scarf, then that is breastfeeding in public, but NOT publicly. See the difference!?! I for one would not have any issues with this. Otherwise, I do! Colcat
  • Score: -1

12:31pm Tue 25 Mar 14

MartinMo says...

Yes breast-feeding is natural and I personally have nothing against it being carried out in public areas, discretely or not. One point to note though is that it is also a natural reaction that your attention and eyes are drawn to out of ordinary actions happening around you. If you don't mind others watching you whilst you breast feed and the chance the odd pervert has his/her camera phone at hand waiting for a glimpse of nipple then fair enough. If this does somehow bother you then find a more secluded spot before exposing yourself.

On the other hand, there are people out there whom may be offended by your actions regardless of how natural you think it is so show a little common decency to others around you and cover up before commencing.

Other natural actions for babies is deficating oneself, this needs changed to prevent the baby discomfort and screaming in public, would you however just place the child on your table and change them on the spot, no you would not, you would take a little more time and carry out the task in a more suitable place so as to not offend others. Most people on this thread are just asking you show the same consideration you would expect from them.

At what point is public nudity acceptable by law, it would appear that as long as it is for the function of carry'ing out a natural act required for survival then it is overlooked. So public sex would be acceptable as long as it's for the purpose of pro-recreation, or is this a grey area which many (including public breast feeding mothers) would find unaceptable.
Yes breast-feeding is natural and I personally have nothing against it being carried out in public areas, discretely or not. One point to note though is that it is also a natural reaction that your attention and eyes are drawn to out of ordinary actions happening around you. If you don't mind others watching you whilst you breast feed and the chance the odd pervert has his/her camera phone at hand waiting for a glimpse of nipple then fair enough. If this does somehow bother you then find a more secluded spot before exposing yourself. On the other hand, there are people out there whom may be offended by your actions regardless of how natural you think it is so show a little common decency to others around you and cover up before commencing. Other natural actions for babies is deficating oneself, this needs changed to prevent the baby discomfort and screaming in public, would you however just place the child on your table and change them on the spot, no you would not, you would take a little more time and carry out the task in a more suitable place so as to not offend others. Most people on this thread are just asking you show the same consideration you would expect from them. At what point is public nudity acceptable by law, it would appear that as long as it is for the function of carry'ing out a natural act required for survival then it is overlooked. So public sex would be acceptable as long as it's for the purpose of pro-recreation, or is this a grey area which many (including public breast feeding mothers) would find unaceptable. MartinMo
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree