Woman suffered burns after house fire

The Northern Echo: County Durham and Darlington Fire Service had installed a sprinkler at the propery County Durham and Darlington Fire Service had installed a sprinkler at the propery

A WOMAN suffered burns to her chest and abdomen after a fire at a house in South Hetton, County Durham, over the weekend.

Three fire crews were called to Greencroft at 10.45am on Saturday and found an injured 64-year-old who had collapsed.

Firefighters administered emergency first aid before paramedics took over and transported her to James Cook Hospital.

She was later transferred to the specialist burns unit at the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle where her condition is reported to be comfortable.

County Durham fire and Rescue Service had previously installed a portable mist suppression sprinkler system in the property.

Area Manager Andy Hopkinson said: “Although we have yet to formally confirm the exact cause of fire, early indications suggest the portable sprinkler system installed in this property by our community protection team has almost certainly helped to extinguish the fire in its early stages and prevented a much more serious outcome.

“Clearly, our thoughts are with the occupier and her family at this time and we wish her a speedy recovery from her injuries.”

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree