POLICE chasing a teenager who took his mother’s car had to halt the pursuit because it was proving too dangerous to other road users, a court has heard.

Officers initially went after the 15-year-old as he drove through Crook and Willington, County Durham, but cancelled the chase as he reached almost 60mph through the narrow 30mph streets.

The teenage boy, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, was arrested later on at a house in Crook, magistrates in Newton Aycliffe were told.

Loading article content

Prosecutor Anne Mitchell said Durham Police received a call shortly after 9pm on Sunday, February 16, saying the teenager had taken his mother’s car.

Police stopped the defendant in the car near his home in the Crook area, but the teenager drove away as officers went to speak to him.

Ms Mitchell said officers gave chase with their blue lights flashing and clocked the teenager reaching 57mph in the 30mph zone.

Ms Mitchell said: “He (the teenager) did not reduce speed or have any consideration for pedestrians or other vehicles.

“Due to the speed and the dangerousness of the driving, the pursuit was aborted.”

The teenager went on to make full admissions to police and pleaded guilty to taking a vehicle without the owner’s consent, dangerous driving, failing to stop for a police officer and driving without a licence or insurance.

The 15-year-old also admitted stealing a TDCI front grille badge from a Ford Connect Van in Crook on November 10.

Ms Mitchell said the van owner saw the teenager removing the badge and he was later identified by CCTV.

He also admitted handling eight others badges stolen from other cars worth £505 which police found in the teenager’s bedroom.

Ben Pegman in mitigation said the teenager had no explanation for taking the car and his apologies had been accepted by his mother.

Mr Pegman said the boy panicked when he saw the blue lights of the police which is why he drove away at speed.

The teenager told the court: “I’m sorry for what I have done, I do not know what I was thinking.”

The youth was given a nine-month referral order and his mother was ordered to pay £85 costs and a £15 victim surcharge.

The teenager was also banned from driving for 12 months and will have to take an extended test to get a licence.