For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Investigation launched after father-of-one with severe nut allergy found dead at home in Helperby, near Thirsk
TRIBUTES have been paid to a bar manager with a severe nut allergy, whose death has sparked a major investigation.
Paul Wilson was found after having suffered a suspected anaphylactic shock triggered by something he ate.
The 38-year-old, who had a young son, had enjoyed an evening out with a friend before returning home with a takeaway meal that he had begun to eat.
It is thought he had tried to reach his adrenaline auto-injector, which relaxes lung muscles, stimulates the heartbeat and helps to stop swelling around the face, when he collapsed in his bathroom.
Mr Wilson was discovered several hours later in his home at Helperby, near Thirsk, North Yorkshire, and the alarm was raised but paramedics were unable to revive him.
There are only about ten recognised deaths from food allergy in the UK every year.
Mr Wilson’s death comes ahead of the Government introducing new food information regulations later this year, which stipulate eating establishments must provide detailed information about any allergens contained in their food.
Under current legislation, eating establishments only need to provide information about allergens if they are asked to by a customer.
The death of Mr Wilson, who worked at Provenance Inns’ Oak Tree pub in the village, has shocked the community, as he was known to make a point of avoiding foods containing nuts.
The source of the takeaway has not been confirmed, but Mr Wilsons’ friends have stressed it did not come from the Oak Tree.
A Provenance Inns spokesman said: “We are all distraught over loss of Paul, who was a fun and kind-hearted chap – the perfect guy to be working in a pub.
“He fitted in very quickly and had a great many friends. Paul will be much missed by everyone.”
North Yorkshire Police said an investigation had been launched into Mr Wilson’s death and Hambleton District Council declined to comment.
A North Yorkshire County Council spokeswoman said it was set to launch an allergens awareness raising campaign ahead of the new legislation coming into force on December 13.
She said: “We cannot comment about the particular circumstances of this tragic case as there is an ongoing multi-agency investigation.”
Mr Wilson’s parents, Margaret and Keith, have asked for donations in memory of their son to be given to Allergy UK, to support the research and allergy nursing of sufferers awaiting treatment, by visiting justgiving.com/paul-wilson-allergy-uk
Comments are closed on this article.