Eighteen-year-old defendant from Middlesbrough knocked man unconscious

Teesside Crown Court

Teesside Crown Court

First published in News
Last updated
The Northern Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Regional Reporter

A TEENAGER who struck his victim in the face with a baseball bat, breaking his jaw in several places, is starting his first jail sentence.

Joshua Shuttleworth, 18, emerged from his home in Palm Street, Middlesbrough, after a row had erupted in the street involving another man, his friend and a number of other individuals on August 23 last year.

Sue Jacobs, prosecuting at Teesside Crown Court, said the victim had been acting as a peacemaker in the dispute when Shuttleworth struck him with the bat, causing him to fall to the ground unconscious.

Police later arrested him after finding him hiding in a wardrobe at his home.

Mrs Jacobs said the victim had to have a metal wire inserted into his jaw and could not eat solid food for six weeks.

Shuttleworth initially denied involvement, even after being picked out of a police identity parade.

However he admitted assault and having an offensive weapon on the day of his trial.

Graham Silvester said Shuttleworth's actions were part of a wider dispute in the street where he lived.

He said: “He bitterly regrets what he did. The injuries he caused were serious and he fully recognises that.”

The judge, Recorder William Lowe said Shuttleworth would serve nine months in a young offenders' institution.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree