For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Dave Lee Travis cleared of 12 indecent assault charges
Updated 3:58pm Thursday 13th February 2014 in News
VETERAN DJ Dave Lee Travis has today been cleared of 12 charges of indecent assault.
But the jury at London's Southwark Crown Court failed to reach verdicts on two other charges and were discharged.
Mr Travis, 68, showed no reaction as the verdicts were read out, looking straight ahead.
The jury of eight women and four men had been deliberating for about 20 hours after a trial at which the former Top Of The Pops presenter was accused of indecently assaulting ten women and sexually assaulting another in alleged incidents dating back to 1976 when he was at the height of his fame.
There will be a further hearing at the same court on February 24 to decide if there should be a retrial of the two outstanding charges.
Speaking outside the court, he told how he had been forced to sell his home to pay his legal fees and said: "I have been through a year and a half of hell."
Prosecutors alleged that Mr Travis, now 68, was an opportunist who assaulted vulnerable young women while working at the BBC and commercial radio.
Jurors found him not guilty of groping a teenager in his Radio 1 studio in the 1970s, a 15-year-old girl at a Showaddywaddy concert in 1978, and a teenage music fan during an episode of Top Of The Pops in 1978.
He was also cleared of grabbing the breasts of a Radio 4 announcer in the early 1980s, a teenager in his motorhome at a gig in 1983, and a young hotel worker in Bude, Cornwall, in 1984.
The other charges he was found not guilty of were two counts of assaulting a British Airways worker in the 1990s and four that related to two women he worked with when he had a slot on Classic Gold radio in the early 2000s.
Mr Travis was arrested under Scotland Yards Operation Yewtree, which was prompted by abuse allegations involving the late Jimmy Savile.