Man rescued from bedroom window after fire

The man was rescued from the upstairs bedroom window

The man was rescued from the upstairs bedroom window

First published in News
Last updated
The Northern Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter (Derwentside & Tyneside)

A MAN has been rescued from the bedroom window of a house after a blaze broke out downstairs.

Firefighters were called to Poplar Street in South Moor, Stanley, at around 7.30pm on Saturday.

They broke an upstairs window and rescued the 30-year-old using a ladder from the fire engine.

He was taken to hospital by ambulance to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Neighbour Barry Spinks, 46, said: “My son told how he (the householder) was knocking on the window.

“He could not come downstairs because that is where the fire was. So they had to break a window and get him out with a ladder.

“He has had a lucky escape.”

Firefighters wearing breathing equipment tackled the fire, but is not clear how it started.

 

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree