A PEACEMAKER was glassed in the face when she intervened in a domestic dispute, a court was told.

Jasmine Glendinning, 22, became embroiled in a fight with her female partner after an afternoon spent drinking in the garden.

When the woman tried to step between the couple, Glendinning hurled a glass into her face, causing a wound close to her eye, Teesside Crown Court was told.

Loading article content

The victim later told police she was picking fragments of glass from her face three days after the assault at a house in Chester-le-Street, County Durham.

Glendinning, of Orchard Street, Pelton, near Chester-le-Street, admitted assault causing actual bodily harm but dodged jail after a judge ruled she needed help due to the effects of a troubled early life.

Prosecutor Graeme Gaston said that other friends had drifted away after drinking in the garden on July 16 last year, leaving only Glendinning, her partner and their mutual friend.

Mr Gaston said: "A fight developed between Jasmine Glendinning and her partner, punches were being thrown.

"The injured party got between the two of them and the defendant threw a half pint glass causing it to smash in her face, causing bleeding, cuts and a black eye.

"The defendant continued to fight with her partner and their friend again tried to intervene. They ended up rolling on the floor."

He told the court that Glendinning had a previous conviction from August 2008, when at the age of 16 she had stabbed a male partner during a domestic disturbance, causing a punctured lung.

Tom Moran, mitigating, said: "A background report goes into detail about the rollercoaster life she has had in the past 10 years."

He said she entered into a relationship with a 23-year-old man while she was only 13 and stabbed him three years later after she herself had been the victim of violence "time and again."

Mr Moran said she found herself with the partner she was with at the time of the glass attack only through tragedy.

He said: "There is a tragic shared experience she had with that partner in that each lost a brother because of suicide. It might be seen as a relationship that was formed for the wrong reasons."

Recorder David Gordon sentenced Glendinning to an eight-month prison sentence, suspended for 18 months. He also imposed a curfew on her at her parents' address for four months between the hours of 10pm and 7am.

He told her: "This was a nasty attack which left marks and fragments of glass in the face of the victim."

After suspending the prison term, he added: "I am persuaded you need considerable input from the probation service if you are going to turn your life around. You are young enough and motivated enough to do it with help from others."