Death of 23-year-old man is no longer being treated as suspicious by police (From The Northern Echo)
For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Death of 23-year-old Thornaby man is no longer being treated as suspicious by police
THE death of a 23-year-old man is no longer being treated as suspicious, police have said.
However the family of Benji Bolsenbroek, from Thornaby, Stockton, said they are still “seeking justice” and are hoping the coroner will uncover more information.
Cleveland Police investigated a disturbance at the Park Hall Hotel in Linthorpe Village, near Middlesbrough in connection to the death of Mr Bolsenbroek, who was celebrating the recent birth of his baby on Sunday, October 6.
In a statement released yesterday (Friday, January 24) Cleveland Police said a total of eleven men and five women have been charged with violent disorder as a result of the brawl and will appear in front of magistrates next month.
The statement continued: “Forensic examinations have not linked Benji’s death with the incident at the Park Hotel and his death is not therefore being treated as suspicious.”
Teesside coroner Michael Sheffield still has to complete his investigations into the case.
Mr Bolsenbroek’s family released their own statement saying the family were still working with the police to seek justice.
His sister, Tenji Wesa, said the family had been allowed to see CCTV footage late last week, and police had assured them all the information would be passed on to the pathologist, who will ultimately report to the coroner.
The family statement said: “We cannot accept that these investigations have been concluded, this appears premature.
“We believe as a family that there is a causal link between Benji’s death, and the disturbance that took place that night, and this significant query is still pending investigations.
“Our loss for Benji is very profound; we are working with the police and the experts to seek justice for Benji.”
Cleveland Police said they cannot comment further until the criminal proceedings against the 16 people charged with violent disorder and the coroner’s inquest had concluded.
After the incident in the pub Mr Bolsenbroek went to his mother’s home with friends. He then went to James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough where he died minutes later. Hundreds of people attended his funeral.