Life sentence for man who started fire which killed father-of-three

Jailed: Paul Nash

Victim: Andrew Simon

First published in News
Last updated
The Northern Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter (Stockton/Hartlepool)

A MAN has been jailed for life for deliberately causing a house fire which killed a vulnerable man who had shown him "only kindness".

Paul Nash, 30, will serve a minimum sentence of ten years for the manslaughter of Hartlepool man Andrew Simon, 44.

Nash admitted the charge at a previous hearing and was sentenced at Teesside Crown Court today (Friday, January 10).

Passing sentence, Judge Simon Bourne-Arton, QC described Nash as a “dangerous individual” who “posed a real risk to the public".

Nick Dry, prosecuting, said Nash had been an acquaintance of Mr Simon, a father-of-three adult children.

He said Mr Simon, who had alcohol problems and mental health issues, was often taken advantage of by other alcoholics and drugs users including Nash who would use Mr Simon’s Dent Street home.

On Monday, June 10, last year Nash had briefly been in the Dent Street house at about 10pm but had an argument with two other people and was told he was not welcome.

Mr Dry said Nash returned at about 12.40am, opened the unlocked door, placed flammable material on the living room settee and set it on fire. CCTV footage later showed him outside looking into the window to make sure the flames were taking hold.

A neighbour called the emergency services shortly before 2am. Firefighters found Mr Simon on the floor in his bedroom near the door. A post-mortem later found he died from smoke inhalation and had not been drinking that night.

Mr Dry accepted that Nash, whose address was given as Holme House Prison, Stockton, had pleaded guilty, but only on the basis that he had carelessly discarded a match. He later accepted that he had deliberately started the fire.

Martin Scarborough, defending, said Nash thought no-one was in the home, although that was disputed by the judge. He said Nash was “in drink,” had shown remorse and should have credit for pleading guilty.

Addressing Nash directly, Judge Bourne-Arton said: “Mr Simon was a vulnerable individual who showed nothing but kindness to you. You are a dangerous individual and I also reach the conclusion you pose a high risk to members of the public.”

The judge had been told that Nash, who had not worked for eight years, had another conviction for threatening to “torch” his mother’s house following an argument three days after setting fire to Mr Simon’s home.

Outside the court Temporary Detective Chief Superintendent Peter McPhillips said it was “a really tragic case."

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:54pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Tregeor says...

Minimum of 20 years would have been nearer the mark.
Minimum of 20 years would have been nearer the mark. Tregeor
  • Score: 3

3:28pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Consett87 says...

He would haunt houses
He would haunt houses Consett87
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree