Just one third of region's housing need achieved last year, Labour warns

The Northern Echo: Just one third of region's housing need achieved last year, Labour warns Just one third of region's housing need achieved last year, Labour warns

JUST one-third of the new houses the region badly needs were built last year, Labour warned yesterday (Wednesday) – a worrying gap of almost 19,000 homes.

The Opposition staged a Commons debate to highlight how the Government had “refused to take the action needed” to tackle a gathering crisis.

Only 4,090 homes were built in the North-East in the 2012-13 financial year, when experts had calculated that 9,000 were needed, Labour said.

And the ‘housing gap’ was even bigger in Yorkshire, where just 6,990 new houses were completed – when 20,700 are required.

Emma Reynolds, Labour’s housing spokeswoman, said: “The growing housing shortage is central to the cost-of-living crisis, but this Government has refused to take the action needed.

“It is presiding over the lowest levels of house building in peacetime since the 1920s.

“Home ownership remains out of reach of low and middle-income earners, rents will continue to rise faster than wages and waiting lists will grow ever longer.”

But the Government insisted it was “on target” to build 175,000 affordable homes in this parliament, a total investment with £19.5bn.

And housing minister Kris Hopkins came out fighting, accusing Labour of “taking the livelihoods of 250,000 construction workers”, during the recession.

The Conservative minister said: “How many homeless people were created by their actions?”

Mr Hopkins added: “Even in the boom years they failed to deliver the housing that was required.

“The total build dropped to the lowest numbers in a hundred years. They promoted eco towns - ten of them in total - and not one appeared.”

The Town and Country Planning Association (TCPA) has calculated the North-East needs 9,000 extra homes each year – 5,300 in the private sector and 3,800 in social housing.

In Yorkshire, of the 20,700 houses required, 13,600 should be privately-owned and the remaining 7,100 in social housing.

Figures released at the end of last year showed the number of house starts – but not completions – is finally on the rise in this region.

A total of 1,950 homes were started across the North-East and North Yorkshire between June and September last year – up from 1,240 in the same period of 2012.

Labour has vowed to increase house building to at least 200,000 a year by 2020 – although some critics argue London alone needs that number.

Ed Miliband would also give town halls “use it or lose it” powers to levy fees on developers hoarding land with planning permission.

And they would enjoy beefed-up compulsory purchase powers to grab back land that has lain empty for years - despite having been approved for badly-needed homes.

Yesterday, one Tory MP, Alec Shelbrooke, branded those ideas the “Stalinist tactics of land seizure and building wherever they want."

Comments (17)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:09am Thu 9 Jan 14

BMD says...

Labour had the opportunity to build houses in the Boom Years - but Failed.

The current Government is slowly increasing the house building programme in times of austerity.

Now Labour promises 200,000 new homes by 2020 - You can’t believe the fag packet politics Labour dreams up!
Labour had the opportunity to build houses in the Boom Years - but Failed. The current Government is slowly increasing the house building programme in times of austerity. Now Labour promises 200,000 new homes by 2020 - You can’t believe the fag packet politics Labour dreams up! BMD

8:30am Thu 9 Jan 14

Jonn says...

BMD wrote:
Labour had the opportunity to build houses in the Boom Years - but Failed.

The current Government is slowly increasing the house building programme in times of austerity.

Now Labour promises 200,000 new homes by 2020 - You can’t believe the fag packet politics Labour dreams up!
Labour built houses, not enough but no Government has built enough for years.
2012 was the lowest on record (nearly 100 years) for the number of houses built.
Still, don't let the facts get in the way of your politics.
[quote][p][bold]BMD[/bold] wrote: Labour had the opportunity to build houses in the Boom Years - but Failed. The current Government is slowly increasing the house building programme in times of austerity. Now Labour promises 200,000 new homes by 2020 - You can’t believe the fag packet politics Labour dreams up![/p][/quote]Labour built houses, not enough but no Government has built enough for years. 2012 was the lowest on record (nearly 100 years) for the number of houses built. Still, don't let the facts get in the way of your politics. Jonn

8:36am Thu 9 Jan 14

The Grim North says...

Governments don't build houses.
Governments don't build houses. The Grim North

9:19am Thu 9 Jan 14

grandmab says...

There are hundred of empty houses that no one wants to live in. Every one wants a new build "American" style detached house with a garage. if you have an older house it doesn't matter how much you upgrade it it is not new and the young folks don't want it.
There are hundred of empty houses that no one wants to live in. Every one wants a new build "American" style detached house with a garage. if you have an older house it doesn't matter how much you upgrade it it is not new and the young folks don't want it. grandmab

9:20am Thu 9 Jan 14

David Lacey says...

Since when has 4,000 been one third of 9,000? Well - in the tiny minds of Labour I suppose it is near enough. But TGN and BMD both make serious points (unlike Jonn). By the way - we would have one million more homes and one million less unemployed Brits if Labour hadn't kindly donated them to immigrants.
Since when has 4,000 been one third of 9,000? Well - in the tiny minds of Labour I suppose it is near enough. But TGN and BMD both make serious points (unlike Jonn). By the way - we would have one million more homes and one million less unemployed Brits if Labour hadn't kindly donated them to immigrants. David Lacey

9:21am Thu 9 Jan 14

Copley23 says...

Exactly Grim North.

And if developers all over the region had started building instead of sitting on the land and banking it until they felt they could get the right land/house price, ..........and then spending years fighting with the planners over what their maximum claw back is going to be..............then this wouldn't be an issue.

And by the way - - the figures have never, nor will they ever, stack up. Every council in the country will have differing versions of how many houses they actually need. They really need to start agreeing on a sensible 'bench mark' before they start pointing fingers.
Exactly Grim North. And if developers all over the region had started building instead of sitting on the land and banking it until they felt they could get the right land/house price, ..........and then spending years fighting with the planners over what their maximum claw back is going to be..............then this wouldn't be an issue. And by the way - - the figures have never, nor will they ever, stack up. Every council in the country will have differing versions of how many houses they actually need. They really need to start agreeing on a sensible 'bench mark' before they start pointing fingers. Copley23

11:31am Thu 9 Jan 14

sineater says...

We wouldn't have a waiting list of 2,million, if the tories had kept their promise of using cash from the council houses they sold was reinvested in new homes, but that's the tories for you they ,never keep their promises,especially with reguards to council houses,because they wanted rid of them anyway.
We wouldn't have a waiting list of 2,million, if the tories had kept their promise of using cash from the council houses they sold was reinvested in new homes, but that's the tories for you they ,never keep their promises,especially with reguards to council houses,because they wanted rid of them anyway. sineater

11:34am Thu 9 Jan 14

Mod says...

Labour's open door immigration policies allowed four million people into this country.
Do they think this had no effect whatsoever on housing demand, or, is that a "racist" argument that doesn't fit the agenda and needs shutting down immediately as Brown did when mrs Duffy raised the point?
Labour's open door immigration policies allowed four million people into this country. Do they think this had no effect whatsoever on housing demand, or, is that a "racist" argument that doesn't fit the agenda and needs shutting down immediately as Brown did when mrs Duffy raised the point? Mod

12:35pm Thu 9 Jan 14

loan_star says...

Jonn wrote:
BMD wrote:
Labour had the opportunity to build houses in the Boom Years - but Failed.

The current Government is slowly increasing the house building programme in times of austerity.

Now Labour promises 200,000 new homes by 2020 - You can’t believe the fag packet politics Labour dreams up!
Labour built houses, not enough but no Government has built enough for years.
2012 was the lowest on record (nearly 100 years) for the number of houses built.
Still, don't let the facts get in the way of your politics.
Houses are built when the money is available, when money is short then its bound to have an effect on housebuilding. If labour couldnt build enough in the boom years then how were the coalition meant to build more when theres no money to do it?
Still, don't let the facts get in the way of your politics.
[quote][p][bold]Jonn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BMD[/bold] wrote: Labour had the opportunity to build houses in the Boom Years - but Failed. The current Government is slowly increasing the house building programme in times of austerity. Now Labour promises 200,000 new homes by 2020 - You can’t believe the fag packet politics Labour dreams up![/p][/quote]Labour built houses, not enough but no Government has built enough for years. 2012 was the lowest on record (nearly 100 years) for the number of houses built. Still, don't let the facts get in the way of your politics.[/p][/quote]Houses are built when the money is available, when money is short then its bound to have an effect on housebuilding. If labour couldnt build enough in the boom years then how were the coalition meant to build more when theres no money to do it? Still, don't let the facts get in the way of your politics. loan_star

12:38pm Thu 9 Jan 14

The Grim North says...

sineater wrote:
We wouldn't have a waiting list of 2,million, if the tories had kept their promise of using cash from the council houses they sold was reinvested in new homes, but that's the tories for you they ,never keep their promises,especially with reguards to council houses,because they wanted rid of them anyway.
I don't recall Labour stopping the sale of council houses when they were in office or indeed embarking on a state funded coucil house building program either. I think you need to start supporting a socialist party instead of Labour Sineater.
[quote][p][bold]sineater[/bold] wrote: We wouldn't have a waiting list of 2,million, if the tories had kept their promise of using cash from the council houses they sold was reinvested in new homes, but that's the tories for you they ,never keep their promises,especially with reguards to council houses,because they wanted rid of them anyway.[/p][/quote]I don't recall Labour stopping the sale of council houses when they were in office or indeed embarking on a state funded coucil house building program either. I think you need to start supporting a socialist party instead of Labour Sineater. The Grim North

2:26pm Thu 9 Jan 14

Taxpaying Homeowner says...

sineater wrote:
We wouldn't have a waiting list of 2,million, if the tories had kept their promise of using cash from the council houses they sold was reinvested in new homes, but that's the tories for you they ,never keep their promises,especially with reguards to council houses,because they wanted rid of them anyway.
The Conservative party of the day never promised to use that money for new homes. The instruction was was firstly to pay off local council debts before using it for anything else.

Then a new government came in and still nothing was done for next 13 years, but don't let that get in the way of a good old rant!!!

You're getting your facts and imagination in a knot again!!!
[quote][p][bold]sineater[/bold] wrote: We wouldn't have a waiting list of 2,million, if the tories had kept their promise of using cash from the council houses they sold was reinvested in new homes, but that's the tories for you they ,never keep their promises,especially with reguards to council houses,because they wanted rid of them anyway.[/p][/quote]The Conservative party of the day never promised to use that money for new homes. The instruction was was firstly to pay off local council debts before using it for anything else. Then a new government came in and still nothing was done for next 13 years, but don't let that get in the way of a good old rant!!! You're getting your facts and imagination in a knot again!!! Taxpaying Homeowner

2:34pm Thu 9 Jan 14

Taxpaying Homeowner says...

The Grim North wrote:
sineater wrote:
We wouldn't have a waiting list of 2,million, if the tories had kept their promise of using cash from the council houses they sold was reinvested in new homes, but that's the tories for you they ,never keep their promises,especially with reguards to council houses,because they wanted rid of them anyway.
I don't recall Labour stopping the sale of council houses when they were in office or indeed embarking on a state funded coucil house building program either. I think you need to start supporting a socialist party instead of Labour Sineater.
Thats right, Labour expanded 'Right to Buy'.

Sineater is waiting for a Labour return that hopefully won't happen. He is under the impression that all of the ConDem wrongs will be reversed and the Happy Hour will return to the sweet shop....

Unfortunately we all know that the majority of changes will stay and the guaranteed 'Northern Vote' won't be rewarded.... At least he'll be able to blame the previous government thought!!
[quote][p][bold]The Grim North[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sineater[/bold] wrote: We wouldn't have a waiting list of 2,million, if the tories had kept their promise of using cash from the council houses they sold was reinvested in new homes, but that's the tories for you they ,never keep their promises,especially with reguards to council houses,because they wanted rid of them anyway.[/p][/quote]I don't recall Labour stopping the sale of council houses when they were in office or indeed embarking on a state funded coucil house building program either. I think you need to start supporting a socialist party instead of Labour Sineater.[/p][/quote]Thats right, Labour expanded 'Right to Buy'. Sineater is waiting for a Labour return that hopefully won't happen. He is under the impression that all of the ConDem wrongs will be reversed and the Happy Hour will return to the sweet shop.... Unfortunately we all know that the majority of changes will stay and the guaranteed 'Northern Vote' won't be rewarded.... At least he'll be able to blame the previous government thought!! Taxpaying Homeowner

3:13pm Thu 9 Jan 14

sineater says...

The tories did say that the money raised would be used for houses,and of course as I said you can never believe a tory promise.Will labour reverse all the selling of and plundering of national assets that the tories have done,you already know that labour won't be able to ,what with all the debt that the banks have saddled the country with,when the tories privatised the railways (anther tory success-not) Majors government did it in such a complicated way as to prevent labour from renationalising them.As I said before,it's the tories fault,not imigrants for the very long waiting list for tenancies,if for once they keep their word, all people seeking a tenancy would be housed now. I hope won't emulate the tories and blame this government, the country is still suffering from Maggies and Majors governments, freezing pensioners, after the power companies were sold of, commuters bleed dry,after the railways were sold of ,e.t.c Whole areas where the main employer was closed down,and no thought about new jobs,except a few at Sunderland,and the tories wonder why they have so few mp's in those areas-ha ha, and I've noticed in the papers letters from areas where there are tory mp's complaining about what damage the present government are doing to their lives,with a bit of luck u.k.ip will damage the tories beyond repair and they finish up as wrecked as he lib-dems will be .
The tories did say that the money raised would be used for houses,and of course as I said you can never believe a tory promise.Will labour reverse all the selling of and plundering of national assets that the tories have done,you already know that labour won't be able to ,what with all the debt that the banks have saddled the country with,when the tories privatised the railways (anther tory success-not) Majors government did it in such a complicated way as to prevent labour from renationalising them.As I said before,it's the tories fault,not imigrants for the very long waiting list for tenancies,if for once they keep their word, all people seeking a tenancy would be housed now. I hope won't emulate the tories and blame this government, the country is still suffering from Maggies and Majors governments, freezing pensioners, after the power companies were sold of, commuters bleed dry,after the railways were sold of ,e.t.c Whole areas where the main employer was closed down,and no thought about new jobs,except a few at Sunderland,and the tories wonder why they have so few mp's in those areas-ha ha, and I've noticed in the papers letters from areas where there are tory mp's complaining about what damage the present government are doing to their lives,with a bit of luck u.k.ip will damage the tories beyond repair and they finish up as wrecked as he lib-dems will be . sineater

6:24pm Thu 9 Jan 14

Jonn says...

loan_star wrote:
Jonn wrote:
BMD wrote:
Labour had the opportunity to build houses in the Boom Years - but Failed.

The current Government is slowly increasing the house building programme in times of austerity.

Now Labour promises 200,000 new homes by 2020 - You can’t believe the fag packet politics Labour dreams up!
Labour built houses, not enough but no Government has built enough for years.
2012 was the lowest on record (nearly 100 years) for the number of houses built.
Still, don't let the facts get in the way of your politics.
Houses are built when the money is available, when money is short then its bound to have an effect on housebuilding. If labour couldnt build enough in the boom years then how were the coalition meant to build more when theres no money to do it?
Still, don't let the facts get in the way of your politics.
Note I said NO Government has built enough for years, that's a criticism of BOTH left and right Governments so how is that letting my politics get in the way??
I was responding to BMD who commented that this Government are slowly increasing house building in times of austerity but, factually, new house building stood at 135k in 2012, the lowest ever, that's an official fact. We're told the economy is on the up and the construction industry is doing well, yet you claim money is short. Which is it then, you can't have it both ways?
[quote][p][bold]loan_star[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jonn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BMD[/bold] wrote: Labour had the opportunity to build houses in the Boom Years - but Failed. The current Government is slowly increasing the house building programme in times of austerity. Now Labour promises 200,000 new homes by 2020 - You can’t believe the fag packet politics Labour dreams up![/p][/quote]Labour built houses, not enough but no Government has built enough for years. 2012 was the lowest on record (nearly 100 years) for the number of houses built. Still, don't let the facts get in the way of your politics.[/p][/quote]Houses are built when the money is available, when money is short then its bound to have an effect on housebuilding. If labour couldnt build enough in the boom years then how were the coalition meant to build more when theres no money to do it? Still, don't let the facts get in the way of your politics.[/p][/quote]Note I said NO Government has built enough for years, that's a criticism of BOTH left and right Governments so how is that letting my politics get in the way?? I was responding to BMD who commented that this Government are slowly increasing house building in times of austerity but, factually, new house building stood at 135k in 2012, the lowest ever, that's an official fact. We're told the economy is on the up and the construction industry is doing well, yet you claim money is short. Which is it then, you can't have it both ways? Jonn

6:33pm Thu 9 Jan 14

loan_star says...

Jonn wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Jonn wrote:
BMD wrote:
Labour had the opportunity to build houses in the Boom Years - but Failed.

The current Government is slowly increasing the house building programme in times of austerity.

Now Labour promises 200,000 new homes by 2020 - You can’t believe the fag packet politics Labour dreams up!
Labour built houses, not enough but no Government has built enough for years.
2012 was the lowest on record (nearly 100 years) for the number of houses built.
Still, don't let the facts get in the way of your politics.
Houses are built when the money is available, when money is short then its bound to have an effect on housebuilding. If labour couldnt build enough in the boom years then how were the coalition meant to build more when theres no money to do it?
Still, don't let the facts get in the way of your politics.
Note I said NO Government has built enough for years, that's a criticism of BOTH left and right Governments so how is that letting my politics get in the way??
I was responding to BMD who commented that this Government are slowly increasing house building in times of austerity but, factually, new house building stood at 135k in 2012, the lowest ever, that's an official fact. We're told the economy is on the up and the construction industry is doing well, yet you claim money is short. Which is it then, you can't have it both ways?
You answered your own question, more money is available so there is an increase in building now. Two years ago the financial restraints meant that not enough money was available.
Still if labour can't build enough in the boom years then you are wrong to have a go at the coalition for the lack of building recently.
[quote][p][bold]Jonn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loan_star[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jonn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BMD[/bold] wrote: Labour had the opportunity to build houses in the Boom Years - but Failed. The current Government is slowly increasing the house building programme in times of austerity. Now Labour promises 200,000 new homes by 2020 - You can’t believe the fag packet politics Labour dreams up![/p][/quote]Labour built houses, not enough but no Government has built enough for years. 2012 was the lowest on record (nearly 100 years) for the number of houses built. Still, don't let the facts get in the way of your politics.[/p][/quote]Houses are built when the money is available, when money is short then its bound to have an effect on housebuilding. If labour couldnt build enough in the boom years then how were the coalition meant to build more when theres no money to do it? Still, don't let the facts get in the way of your politics.[/p][/quote]Note I said NO Government has built enough for years, that's a criticism of BOTH left and right Governments so how is that letting my politics get in the way?? I was responding to BMD who commented that this Government are slowly increasing house building in times of austerity but, factually, new house building stood at 135k in 2012, the lowest ever, that's an official fact. We're told the economy is on the up and the construction industry is doing well, yet you claim money is short. Which is it then, you can't have it both ways?[/p][/quote]You answered your own question, more money is available so there is an increase in building now. Two years ago the financial restraints meant that not enough money was available. Still if labour can't build enough in the boom years then you are wrong to have a go at the coalition for the lack of building recently. loan_star

7:38pm Thu 9 Jan 14

Jonn says...

loan_star wrote:
Jonn wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Jonn wrote:
BMD wrote:
Labour had the opportunity to build houses in the Boom Years - but Failed.

The current Government is slowly increasing the house building programme in times of austerity.

Now Labour promises 200,000 new homes by 2020 - You can’t believe the fag packet politics Labour dreams up!
Labour built houses, not enough but no Government has built enough for years.
2012 was the lowest on record (nearly 100 years) for the number of houses built.
Still, don't let the facts get in the way of your politics.
Houses are built when the money is available, when money is short then its bound to have an effect on housebuilding. If labour couldnt build enough in the boom years then how were the coalition meant to build more when theres no money to do it?
Still, don't let the facts get in the way of your politics.
Note I said NO Government has built enough for years, that's a criticism of BOTH left and right Governments so how is that letting my politics get in the way??
I was responding to BMD who commented that this Government are slowly increasing house building in times of austerity but, factually, new house building stood at 135k in 2012, the lowest ever, that's an official fact. We're told the economy is on the up and the construction industry is doing well, yet you claim money is short. Which is it then, you can't have it both ways?
You answered your own question, more money is available so there is an increase in building now. Two years ago the financial restraints meant that not enough money was available.
Still if labour can't build enough in the boom years then you are wrong to have a go at the coalition for the lack of building recently.
So you must have the figure for new builds in 2013 then?
I wasn't having a go at the Coalition, I was just stating a fact. Some folks on here just quote how cr*p the previous Government was to deflect the fact that the current Government are cr*p too. Nothing gets achieved.
[quote][p][bold]loan_star[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jonn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loan_star[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jonn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BMD[/bold] wrote: Labour had the opportunity to build houses in the Boom Years - but Failed. The current Government is slowly increasing the house building programme in times of austerity. Now Labour promises 200,000 new homes by 2020 - You can’t believe the fag packet politics Labour dreams up![/p][/quote]Labour built houses, not enough but no Government has built enough for years. 2012 was the lowest on record (nearly 100 years) for the number of houses built. Still, don't let the facts get in the way of your politics.[/p][/quote]Houses are built when the money is available, when money is short then its bound to have an effect on housebuilding. If labour couldnt build enough in the boom years then how were the coalition meant to build more when theres no money to do it? Still, don't let the facts get in the way of your politics.[/p][/quote]Note I said NO Government has built enough for years, that's a criticism of BOTH left and right Governments so how is that letting my politics get in the way?? I was responding to BMD who commented that this Government are slowly increasing house building in times of austerity but, factually, new house building stood at 135k in 2012, the lowest ever, that's an official fact. We're told the economy is on the up and the construction industry is doing well, yet you claim money is short. Which is it then, you can't have it both ways?[/p][/quote]You answered your own question, more money is available so there is an increase in building now. Two years ago the financial restraints meant that not enough money was available. Still if labour can't build enough in the boom years then you are wrong to have a go at the coalition for the lack of building recently.[/p][/quote]So you must have the figure for new builds in 2013 then? I wasn't having a go at the Coalition, I was just stating a fact. Some folks on here just quote how cr*p the previous Government was to deflect the fact that the current Government are cr*p too. Nothing gets achieved. Jonn

11:18am Wed 15 Jan 14

cushybutterfield says...

***Mods right in his assessment,.........
.. there are record Queues in France, One is over a 'Mile Long' and a record number of Camps on the French Coast, all hordes of penniless immigrants ***not wanting to settle in France or the Europeon mainland. The French are deparate to get them all shuffeld over to England, a.s.a.p. as it is costing them a fortune in Security etc. As has happened for decades they are all heading for DOVER and its ' Free Benefits and Housing System', none of whom have ever paid ***** 'One Penny' into the British Taxation System yet we the British working class ****Worker*** get clobbered by HMIT , British Tax Authorities with a £1OO Fine or more if our 'Annual Taxation assessment' is a *** day ***late.............
..No wonder the rest of world laughs at Britain and shake their heads in total disbelief of our shambolic immigration and 'Border Control' systems that are draining Britain of any wealth.
***Mods right in his assessment,......... .. there are record Queues in France, One is over a 'Mile Long' and a record number of Camps on the French Coast, all hordes of penniless immigrants ***not wanting to settle in France or the Europeon mainland. The French are deparate to get them all shuffeld over to England, a.s.a.p. as it is costing them a fortune in Security etc. As has happened for decades they are all heading for DOVER and its ' Free Benefits and Housing System', none of whom have ever paid ***** 'One Penny' into the British Taxation System yet we the British working class ****Worker*** get clobbered by HMIT , British Tax Authorities with a £1OO Fine or more if our 'Annual Taxation assessment' is a *** day ***late............. ..No wonder the rest of world laughs at Britain and shake their heads in total disbelief of our shambolic immigration and 'Border Control' systems that are draining Britain of any wealth. cushybutterfield

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree