Archaeologists discover another 14 bodies in shadow of Durham Cathedral

Excavation of a skull at the human burial site in Durham

REG Durham University archaeologist Janet Beveridge carrying out an excavation

First published in News
Last updated

REMAINS of another 14 bodies buried in a mysterious mass grave near Durham Cathedral have been discovered by archaeologists.

A team from Durham University revealed last week that they had found four bodies in a burial pit during building work at Palace Green Library.

Now preliminary excavations of the site in the shadow of the cathedral have seen the total rise to 18.

Experts say the centuries-old mass grave appears to be unusual, with evidence that the corpses were tipped into the ground rather than being respectfully buried.

When the first remains were unearthed in November, it was believed that they came from the cathedral’s medieval cemetery and was taken as evidence that the graveyard’s boundaries may have extended further than the present day burial site.

But further investigation has revealed an unorthodox layout to the bodies which archaeologists say is proof of a mass burial.

Richard Annis, senior archaeologist with Durham University, said: "We have found clear evidence of a mass burial and not a normal group of graves.

"One of the densest areas of the excavation was further north, which is further away from the edge of the presumed graveyard.

"The bodies have been tipped into the earth without elaborate ceremony and they are tightly packed together and jumbled.

"Some are buried in a North to South alignment, rather than the traditional East to West alignment that we would expect from a conventional medieval burial site."

The team plan carry out further research into the remains, including dating the bones and looking for clues as to their origin, in the New Year.

Mr Annis added: "The process of post-excavation processing, examination and analysis is essential to allow us to draw proper conclusions about this group of human remains.

"It is too early to say what they may be."

The archaeologists have been given permission from the Ministry of Justice to carry out excavation works on the World Heritage Site before taking the bones away for further examination.

By law, the bones must eventually be reinterred at an approved burial ground.

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:51pm Fri 29 Nov 13

Durhamite1979 says...

Maybe they were waiting to get into an early Lumiere??
Maybe they were waiting to get into an early Lumiere?? Durhamite1979
  • Score: 6

3:20pm Fri 29 Nov 13

sineater says...

or plague victims ?
or plague victims ? sineater
  • Score: 3

4:08pm Fri 29 Nov 13

Edmondsley says...

The Irish Hide and seek team.
The Irish Hide and seek team. Edmondsley
  • Score: -2

11:37pm Fri 29 Nov 13

darloboss says...

vor nice to see you bumbles
vor nice to see you bumbles darloboss
  • Score: 1

12:58pm Sat 30 Nov 13

spitefull says...

unlucky escapers from Durham Prison..........
unlucky escapers from Durham Prison.......... spitefull
  • Score: 0

9:51am Sun 1 Dec 13

Taxpaying Homeowner says...

Most likely Conservative candidates for Easingto,,!
Most likely Conservative candidates for Easingto,,! Taxpaying Homeowner
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree