For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Accused Washington driver in court over fatal accident on A1(M) in County Durham
A MAN has appeared in court accused of driving dangerously, while over the drink/drive limit, prior to a fatal accident on the A1(M).
Thirty-year-old Craig Anthony Bourne was at the wheel of a black Kia Sorento 4x4 which was in collision with a yellow Fiat Panda, as both vehicles were heading northwards on the dual carriageway in County Durham at 5.35am on Sunday April 7.
The Panda was propelled into the central reservation where it overturned before coming to rest on the hard shoulder, underneath the Carrville interchange roundabout, at junction 62 of the A1(M), near Durham.
Its driver, Jacqueline Anne Dowdall, suffered serious internal injuries and was declared dead at the University Hospital of North Durham, in Durham, later that day.
Mr Bourne, of Rushyrigg, in Blackfell, Washington, was subsequently charged with causing death by dangerous driving and driving while over the alcohol limit.
Witnesses also heading northbound on the A1(M) that morning are said to have reported that he overtook them at a speed estimated to be in excess of 100-miles per hour.
Earlier this month the case went before North Durham magistrates who elected to send it to the crown court, where Mr Bourne appeared today (Wednesday October 23).
The charges were not put to him during the hearing, which was told that a driving expert for the prosecution has compiled a report on the case which will be handed to the defence representatives for consideration.
Shaun Routledge, for Mr Bourne, said a driving expert, Graham Greatrix, will be compiling a report for the defence, once he has reviewed the prosecution expert’s findings.
Mr Routledge asked for the plea hearing to be delayed to allow Mr Greatrix’s report to be drawn up and considered by the defence.
He told the court that depending on Mr Greatrix’s findings, “a trial may not be necessary in the case”.
Mr Routledge added that Mr Bourne has “a background” of service in the Middle East as a bomb disposal expert.
Judge Christopher Prince adjourned the case and bailed Mr Bourne to return for the next hearing on Friday November 15, when pleas are expected to be taken.
Comments are closed on this article.