For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Chimney collapses onto Durham's North Road
COMMUTERS dodged falling bricks as a chimney collapsed onto a busy shopping street.
The chimney fell from above Sherlocks hair salon two storeys onto North Road, Durham City, at about 8am today (Monday, October 14).
No injuries were reported, but a car parked nearby was damaged.
The collapse is believed to have been caused by high winds or water getting into the structure.
North Road was closed for some time, meaning many buses had to be diverted.
The police and fire service were both called to respond.
A Durham fire brigade spokeswoman said one fire engine and an aerial ladder platform were despatched and the area was cordoned off until lunchtime.
An emergency highways inspector from Durham County Council also attended.
Sherlocks remained closed today while work was carried out to make the area safe.
Comments are closed on this article.