For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Dolphin Centre evacuation leaves swimmers out in the cold
SWIMMERS were left out in the cold when a leisure centre was evacuated today (Sunday September 8).
Darlington’s Dolphin Centre had to be evacuated at around 2.30pm after an air conditioning unit developed a mechanical fault and began giving off smoke.
Those using the pool at the leisure centre had to leave the venue in their swimwear and were given fire blankets by staff as they waited outside.
Duty manager Darren Cole said: “The fire alarms went off, we located the problem and with there being smoke, we decided we wanted everyone out.
“Staff instantly knew what to do and followed our rigorous evacuation procedure, which went very smoothly.”
Visitors to the centre were allowed to return after around 20 minutes.
Two fire engines attended the scene.
Comments are closed on this article.