For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Residents evacuated and main road closed by gas leak
3:50pm Sunday 8th September 2013 in News
RESIDENTS in a North Yorkshire town were evacuated from their homes because of a gas leak this afternoon.
People in the Long Street area of Thirsk were intially advised to stay indoors while officials deal with the situation.
But at 3pm police announced they would be evacuating residents living within a 50m cordon.
Thirsk and Sowerby Children’s Centre, on Hambleton Place in the town, was set up as an evacuation centre for residents, but a short time ago North Yorkshire Police confirmed the leak has been fixed, and residents are being allowed home.
Long Street has been reopened.
Comments are closed on this article.