For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Crook family enlist lawyer after holiday from hell in Turkish hotel
A NORTH-East family struck down by a vomiting bug during a luxury holiday have slammed tour operators for not warning other potential victims to take precautions.
Sean and Lorna Moore were among more than 100 people who suffered from diarrhoea and vomiting while staying at the Sentido Perissia hotel in Turkey.
The Moore’s and their 12-year-old son Nathan, who did not fall ill, have now enlisted a lawyer to take tour operator Thomas Cook to task over the way they dealt with the crisis.
The family from Crook in County Durham paid £3,500 for a two-week stay at the five star resort in Side at the beginning of August.
The first half of the holiday went well, and the Moores said they were very pleased with the hotel describing the facilities and staff as fantastic.
But at the beginning of the second week both Mr Moore, 48, and Mrs Moore, 44, were struck by a mystery bug, which doctors told them was a bacterial infection, with Mrs Moore having to stay overnight in a Turkish hospital to make sure she was safe to fly home.
The family, who have now recovered from their illness, said Thomas Cook refused to accept that a bacteria had caused the problems and said the firm should have done more to warn other holiday makers about the risk.
Mr Moore said: “The duty of care was nonexistent, they should have done simple things like telling people to take extra hygiene pre-cautions but there was nothing.
“More guests were arriving and had no idea what was going on, I accept things like this can happen but the way Thomas Cook dealt with it has really made us angry.
“This was a wasted holiday that we want to forget.”
Mrs Moore said: “You see these holiday from hell programmes on the TV and think surely it can’t really as bad as that, but we have now seen it first hand.”
Thomas Cook said they are working to address concerns and said their own hygiene consultant had visited the site and determined the cause to be a virus rather than bacterial infection.
A spokesperson said: “The health and well-being of our customers is our top priority and we take all reports of illness very seriously.
“We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused.’’
Comments are closed on this article.