Police get more than 20 calls since launch of new inquiry into sex abuse at Medomsley detention centre (From The Northern Echo)
For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Police get more than 20 calls since launch of new inquiry into sex abuse at Medomsley detention centre
POLICE have received more than 20 calls since launching a renewed investigation into allegations of sexual abuse of teenage inmates at a North-East detention centre, it has been revealed today (Thursday, August 15).
Durham Police chiefs yesterday launched a fresh inquiry into claims of sex crimes at Medomsley Detention Centre, near Consett, in the 1970s and 1980s, after allegations made by a man who said he was routinely raped by prison officer Neville Husband.
John McCabe, of Lanarkshire, Scotland, who has waived his right to anonymity, said during his six-month ordeal Husband had also taken him out of Medomsley, where he was raped by another man.
Husband was sentenced to ten years in jail for the systematic abuse of several teenagers. After serving his sentence, the 72-year-old died of natural causes at his home in nearby Snows Green, Shotley Bridge, in 2010. Husband’s friend, storeman Leslie Johnson, was jailed for six years. He too has died.
Detective Superintendent Paul Goundry, head of safeguarding for Durham Constabulary, agreed to re-open the case following a meeting this week with Mr McCabe’s MP, Michael McCann.
A police spokesman said today: "There have been a number of calls to the investigating officers following the initial publicity, some of which have been from victims who do not seem to have been previously known to us.
"We will have specialist staff on duty over the weekend to respond to any callers and any information they can provide."
Medomsley Detention Centre closed in the late 1988 and later re-opened as the privately run Hassockfield Secure Training Centre in 1999.
Anyone with information should contact Durham Constabulary on 101.