For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Teenager found guilty of South Moor murder
A TEENAGER has been convicted of murdering a father-of-two just two days before Christmas.
The 17-year-old, who cannot be named because of his age, was today (THURS) found guilty of the murder of David Scott in the early hours of December 23.
The 33-year-old victim was stabbed five times in a back lane behind Rose Avenue, in South Moor, Stanley.
Two 17-year-olds have been on trial at Newcastle Crown Court, accused of his murder.
Despite 16 hours of deliberation, spread across three days, jurors have so far been unable to reach a verdict on one youth - known as Youth A - and will continue considering the case tomorrow.
However, the jury of seven men and five women this afternoon found the younger defendant - referred to as Youth B - guilty, by a majority verdict of 10-2.
Giving evidence during the trial, Youth B admitted that he had gone looking for Mr Scott intending "to fight" the victim, following an altercation in the street earlier in the evening.
After finding him in the back lane, the teenager admitted punching Mr Scott and wrestling with him on the ground, but denied stabbing him.
The court heard evidence that Youth B collected knives - having been given his first blade by his grandfather when aged just eight - but he denied suggestions that he had "a fascination" with the weapons.
There were gasps from visibly upset members of the defendant’s family in the public gallery when the foreman of the jury read out the guilty verdict.
Recorder of Newcastle Judge James Goss told him: "You have been convicted of murder and there is only one sentence in law which can be passed."
However, Judge Goss said he wanted reports prepared before determining the minimum tariff the teenager should serve.
Youth B was remanded in custody to be sentenced at a date yet to be decided in September.
Reporting restrictions were not lifted and the case continues.
Comments are closed on this article.