Teenagers on trial for stabbing a man in Stanley blame each other for his murder

KILLED: David Scott

KILLED: David Scott

First published in News
Last updated
The Northern Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter (Derwentside & Tyneside)

TWO teenagers accused of fatally stabbing a 33-year-old man are blaming each other for his murder.

The 17-year-olds are on trial at Newcastle Crown Court for the killing of David Scott in the back lane of Rose Avenue in South Moor, Stanley, County Durham, just days before Christmas.

They are said to have remained at large over the festive period and the jury was told one of the young men was arrested on New Year’s Eve after confiding in a friend that he had stabbed someone and was wanted for murder.

Both suspects were arrested and charged within days of each other, despite denying any involvement to detectives during interview.

The court heard both young men now accept they were there when Mr Scott was attacked and fatally wounded, but have each pleaded not guilty to the charge of murder.

John Elvidge QC, opening the case for the prosecution today (Monday, July 22), said: “Both counsel for the defence want me to make the jury aware that both defendants now admit presence at the scene, but deny stabbing Mr Scott, because each blames the other for the stabbing.

“The prosecution case is that this is a joint attack and each is guilty of murder, irrespective of who inflicted the fatal blow.”

Mr Scott had been at a house party on Rose Avenue and left after fighting with another man.

The court heard the young men, who cannot be named for legal reasons, arrived between 1am and 1.30am, on December 23, armed with the murder weapon, which has never been recovered.

The jury was told a pair of trainers stained with Mr Scott’s blood was found at the house of the defendants and that his mother has already admitted perverting the course of justice by providing a false alibi for him on the night of the murder.

The court heard Mr Scott suffered five stab wounds to his upper body, four to his back and one to the side of his abdomen, leaving him with a punctured lung.

Residents raised the alarm after hearing the disturbance and his subsequent cries of “Help me, help me. I’m dying.”

Despite attempts by paramedics and doctors to save his life, Mr Scott died of internal bleeding at the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle within hours of arrival.

The trial, which is expected to last about two weeks, continues.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree