Mum poses as 11-year-old daughter on Facebook to catch sex pest who asked her for "naked fun"

The Northern Echo: FRIEND REQUEST: Matthew Jenart's picture on Facebook FRIEND REQUEST: Matthew Jenart's picture on Facebook

A MOTHER who posed as her schoolgirl daughter to trap an internet sex pest told last night of her shock after hearing he had walked free from court.

Matthew Jenart, 28, dodged prison when a judge said he could not be sure what his intentions were when he asked the 11-year-old for "naughty fun".

Jenart - described in court as an isolated loner - lied about his age on Facebook and claimed to be a 15-year-old who was still at school on Teesside.

Even when he was challenged about his age and told his profile picture made him look older, he maintained the lie and asked if the girl wanted "fun".

Teesside Crown Court heard yesterday that the youngster's mother took over at the computer when she was told about the new friend request from Jenart.

Prosecutor John Gillette said the family had an online security regime in place which involved the girl telling her parents of anything suspicious.

Posing as her daughter, the woman asked Jenart what he meant by "fun" and he replied with the phrases "naughty fun" and "naked fun", said Mr Gillette.

When he was told she was only 11, he replied "It's only fun. Try it, you'll like it", and ended the conversation with "Cool, so you going to have fun?"

After his arrest last December, unemployed former hotel worker Jenart claimed he would not have taken matters further and it had just been a joke.

His lawyer, Graham Brown, said although probation officials expressed worries about his behaviour, Jenart had never come into contact with a youngster.

He commended the "extremely good computer protocol" of the girl's family, and told the judge, Recorder Robert Adams: "It is how it should be operated."

Jenart, of Laurel Avenue, Thornaby, near Stockton, received a three-year community order after he admitted attempting to incite a child to engage in sexual activity.

He was also put on the sex offenders' register for five years, ordered to undergo a treatment programme and will be banned from working with children.

Mr Recorder Adams told Jenart: "The chat you entered into in with [the girl's] mother can only be described as disgusting when you consider you thought you were speaking to an 11-year-old and you were lying about your age.

The girl's mum, who lives in the Stockton area, said: "It's very disappointing that he didn't go to prison.

"I'm surprised the judge said he wasn't sure of his intentions. I was the one on the receiving end of his messages and they seemed pretty clear to me."

She added: "I felt physically sick exchanging messages with him. I kept coaxing him until he said he wanted ' naked fun' with my daughter, at that point I couldn't go on any further and I called in the police.

"It has left us feeling very disturbed and anxious. It made me think of Ashleigh Hall, that poor young girl from Darlington, who was murdered by a man who contacted her on Facebook.

"Cases like these show why parents have to be so careful. In our family we insist on complete trust and honesty, which means there are no secrets.

"When my daughter asked to join Facebook I had some reservations about it but like many parents in that situation I didn't want her to feel excluded from her friends who where on it.

"My conditions where that she told me every time she got a friend request and that I could access her account at any time.

"I'm so glad that I was cautious it's terrifying to think what might have happened if I had not."

More Crime News

Comments (20)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:19am Wed 13 Mar 13

Starteck2002 says...

So where was the reprimand for the parent? Yes, this guy is in the wrong and deserves to be punished but I also find it disturbing that this story focuses on 'internet safety' and 'sex pests' but not one mention that the parent allowed her 11 year old daughter to use Facebook despite the very clear terms on their site at http://www.facebook.
com/legal/terms

"You will not use Facebook if you are under 13"

I understand that parents are under pressure to allow their kids onto the internet - as a parent it is your responsibility to either say 'no' or make sure you know what they are doing. I use OpenDNS to block all content i don't want my kids accessing, it works well and does block Facebook :-) My Kids are 6, 7 and 8 and are asking for Facebook - something that they are not going to get because I won't let them and they are under the age of 13.
So where was the reprimand for the parent? Yes, this guy is in the wrong and deserves to be punished but I also find it disturbing that this story focuses on 'internet safety' and 'sex pests' but not one mention that the parent allowed her 11 year old daughter to use Facebook despite the very clear terms on their site at http://www.facebook. com/legal/terms "You will not use Facebook if you are under 13" I understand that parents are under pressure to allow their kids onto the internet - as a parent it is your responsibility to either say 'no' or make sure you know what they are doing. I use OpenDNS to block all content i don't want my kids accessing, it works well and does block Facebook :-) My Kids are 6, 7 and 8 and are asking for Facebook - something that they are not going to get because I won't let them and they are under the age of 13. Starteck2002

11:26am Wed 13 Mar 13

ChezzaB says...

Starteck2002 wrote:
So where was the reprimand for the parent? Yes, this guy is in the wrong and deserves to be punished but I also find it disturbing that this story focuses on 'internet safety' and 'sex pests' but not one mention that the parent allowed her 11 year old daughter to use Facebook despite the very clear terms on their site at http://www.facebook.

com/legal/terms

"You will not use Facebook if you are under 13"

I understand that parents are under pressure to allow their kids onto the internet - as a parent it is your responsibility to either say 'no' or make sure you know what they are doing. I use OpenDNS to block all content i don't want my kids accessing, it works well and does block Facebook :-) My Kids are 6, 7 and 8 and are asking for Facebook - something that they are not going to get because I won't let them and they are under the age of 13.
Oh please would the story have been any different had the child been 13?? No. However much I disagree with children being on facebook it seems to me that in this case the parents have a very good internet security regime based on trust & honesty with their child as mentioned in the article. Its clear to me that they are keeping a very close eye & monitoring what she does online & the child felt able to tell her parents. Unlike you I think the most disturbing thing about the story is not the child being on a social networking site but about the fact that this vile person has not gone to prison for this sickening criminal offence. I'm sure this child wasn't the first he'd been in contact with online & I bet she certainly won't be the last & our justice system as failed again in allowing him to go free.
[quote][p][bold]Starteck2002[/bold] wrote: So where was the reprimand for the parent? Yes, this guy is in the wrong and deserves to be punished but I also find it disturbing that this story focuses on 'internet safety' and 'sex pests' but not one mention that the parent allowed her 11 year old daughter to use Facebook despite the very clear terms on their site at http://www.facebook. com/legal/terms "You will not use Facebook if you are under 13" I understand that parents are under pressure to allow their kids onto the internet - as a parent it is your responsibility to either say 'no' or make sure you know what they are doing. I use OpenDNS to block all content i don't want my kids accessing, it works well and does block Facebook :-) My Kids are 6, 7 and 8 and are asking for Facebook - something that they are not going to get because I won't let them and they are under the age of 13.[/p][/quote]Oh please would the story have been any different had the child been 13?? No. However much I disagree with children being on facebook it seems to me that in this case the parents have a very good internet security regime based on trust & honesty with their child as mentioned in the article. Its clear to me that they are keeping a very close eye & monitoring what she does online & the child felt able to tell her parents. Unlike you I think the most disturbing thing about the story is not the child being on a social networking site but about the fact that this vile person has not gone to prison for this sickening criminal offence. I'm sure this child wasn't the first he'd been in contact with online & I bet she certainly won't be the last & our justice system as failed again in allowing him to go free. ChezzaB

12:30pm Wed 13 Mar 13

Starteck2002 says...

Bert; Clearly well educated with replies that have absolutely no substance to them. Your remarks don't warrant a reply.

Those terms are there for a reason, and despite the commendable efforts of the parent in monitoring the childs use of Facebook, they still sanctioned an underage person to use that service.

Chezza, couldn't agree more, the law has failed and this person *should* have been given a custodial sentence but the fact still remains, that despite the parents of the child monitoring their child's internet activities they still allowed their child to use a site that they are clearly too young to use. What is the point of our schools trying to educate young people how to be safe online when parents are setting a bad example by ignoring the published terms (which are a legally binding contract) and allowing them access to content they should not be seeing.

By this standard, it's ok for a 15 year old to access an 18 rated adult content site provided the parents know about it. I'm sure a lot of people would not agree.
Bert; Clearly well educated with replies that have absolutely no substance to them. Your remarks don't warrant a reply. Those terms are there for a reason, and despite the commendable efforts of the parent in monitoring the childs use of Facebook, they still sanctioned an underage person to use that service. Chezza, couldn't agree more, the law has failed and this person *should* have been given a custodial sentence but the fact still remains, that despite the parents of the child monitoring their child's internet activities they still allowed their child to use a site that they are clearly too young to use. What is the point of our schools trying to educate young people how to be safe online when parents are setting a bad example by ignoring the published terms (which are a legally binding contract) and allowing them access to content they should not be seeing. By this standard, it's ok for a 15 year old to access an 18 rated adult content site provided the parents know about it. I'm sure a lot of people would not agree. Starteck2002

12:38pm Wed 13 Mar 13

behonest says...

Modern Britain under the Tories.

Swap 3 points on your driving licence, a victimless crime with little harm done, and you go to jail. Because you have challenged the authorities.

Engage in sexual activity with an 11 year-old child and you walk away scot-free.

I appreciate a lot of child sex offenders seem to walk free because certain judges, for 'unknown' reasons, seem to empathise with them, but this just shows again that our legal system is quite disgusting and is in urgent need of reform.
Modern Britain under the Tories. Swap 3 points on your driving licence, a victimless crime with little harm done, and you go to jail. Because you have challenged the authorities. Engage in sexual activity with an 11 year-old child and you walk away scot-free. I appreciate a lot of child sex offenders seem to walk free because certain judges, for 'unknown' reasons, seem to empathise with them, but this just shows again that our legal system is quite disgusting and is in urgent need of reform. behonest

1:24pm Wed 13 Mar 13

bones26 says...

a young girl from darlington was murdered a few years ago because of these sex pests on fb .have some respect .yes the man should of been jailed .
a young girl from darlington was murdered a few years ago because of these sex pests on fb .have some respect .yes the man should of been jailed . bones26

2:37pm Wed 13 Mar 13

maur1 says...

i dont have facebook so never seen it, an 11 year old girl, that guy should of been locked up hes got away with this .......so what next these judges are on a different planet
i dont have facebook so never seen it, an 11 year old girl, that guy should of been locked up hes got away with this .......so what next these judges are on a different planet maur1

3:49pm Wed 13 Mar 13

sazyjaded says...

Absolutely disgusting! Cannot understand how the judge didn't see how his intentions were clear. Another paedo let off to do more damage, how long until he gets caught next time? if he gets caught, or who will he go onto rape and murder? Yes that girl should not have been on facebook at the age of 11, but how many children do you know that are not on a social net working site?! Glad the mother was informed or watched over the child.
Absolutely disgusting! Cannot understand how the judge didn't see how his intentions were clear. Another paedo let off to do more damage, how long until he gets caught next time? if he gets caught, or who will he go onto rape and murder? Yes that girl should not have been on facebook at the age of 11, but how many children do you know that are not on a social net working site?! Glad the mother was informed or watched over the child. sazyjaded

6:53pm Wed 13 Mar 13

Jonn says...

behonest wrote:
Modern Britain under the Tories.

Swap 3 points on your driving licence, a victimless crime with little harm done, and you go to jail. Because you have challenged the authorities.

Engage in sexual activity with an 11 year-old child and you walk away scot-free.

I appreciate a lot of child sex offenders seem to walk free because certain judges, for 'unknown' reasons, seem to empathise with them, but this just shows again that our legal system is quite disgusting and is in urgent need of reform.
He went to jail for perverting the course of justice, not swapping points.
[quote][p][bold]behonest[/bold] wrote: Modern Britain under the Tories. Swap 3 points on your driving licence, a victimless crime with little harm done, and you go to jail. Because you have challenged the authorities. Engage in sexual activity with an 11 year-old child and you walk away scot-free. I appreciate a lot of child sex offenders seem to walk free because certain judges, for 'unknown' reasons, seem to empathise with them, but this just shows again that our legal system is quite disgusting and is in urgent need of reform.[/p][/quote]He went to jail for perverting the course of justice, not swapping points. Jonn

9:00pm Wed 13 Mar 13

outragedofmiltonkeynes says...

Facebook is the root of all evil.
Facebook is the root of all evil. outragedofmiltonkeynes

8:55am Thu 14 Mar 13

Starteck2002 says...

Bert, I can't help but wonder if you are also an eleven year old hiding behind a keyboard. Stop being so offensive and grow up. Your name-calling is the sort of actions i would expect of a pre-pubescent teenager. Try some debate/discussion or try seeing things from a different (not just your own) perspective - you may even enjoy it instead of just berating people for not sharing the same opinion as you within these comments.
Bert, I can't help but wonder if you are also an eleven year old hiding behind a keyboard. Stop being so offensive and grow up. Your name-calling is the sort of actions i would expect of a pre-pubescent teenager. Try some debate/discussion or try seeing things from a different (not just your own) perspective - you may even enjoy it instead of just berating people for not sharing the same opinion as you within these comments. Starteck2002

9:11am Thu 14 Mar 13

Craz3yk says...

It doesn't matter how you look at he's a nonce a dirty child molester people won't forget him and I dare say he will get kicked to **** and in hideing.... Run nonceee run
It doesn't matter how you look at he's a nonce a dirty child molester people won't forget him and I dare say he will get kicked to **** and in hideing.... Run nonceee run Craz3yk

9:40am Thu 14 Mar 13

behonest says...

Jonn wrote:
behonest wrote:
Modern Britain under the Tories.

Swap 3 points on your driving licence, a victimless crime with little harm done, and you go to jail. Because you have challenged the authorities.

Engage in sexual activity with an 11 year-old child and you walk away scot-free.

I appreciate a lot of child sex offenders seem to walk free because certain judges, for 'unknown' reasons, seem to empathise with them, but this just shows again that our legal system is quite disgusting and is in urgent need of reform.
He went to jail for perverting the course of justice, not swapping points.
What? Tell me you're having a laugh...
[quote][p][bold]Jonn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]behonest[/bold] wrote: Modern Britain under the Tories. Swap 3 points on your driving licence, a victimless crime with little harm done, and you go to jail. Because you have challenged the authorities. Engage in sexual activity with an 11 year-old child and you walk away scot-free. I appreciate a lot of child sex offenders seem to walk free because certain judges, for 'unknown' reasons, seem to empathise with them, but this just shows again that our legal system is quite disgusting and is in urgent need of reform.[/p][/quote]He went to jail for perverting the course of justice, not swapping points.[/p][/quote]What? Tell me you're having a laugh... behonest

11:12am Thu 14 Mar 13

Jonn says...

behonest wrote:
Jonn wrote:
behonest wrote:
Modern Britain under the Tories.

Swap 3 points on your driving licence, a victimless crime with little harm done, and you go to jail. Because you have challenged the authorities.

Engage in sexual activity with an 11 year-old child and you walk away scot-free.

I appreciate a lot of child sex offenders seem to walk free because certain judges, for 'unknown' reasons, seem to empathise with them, but this just shows again that our legal system is quite disgusting and is in urgent need of reform.
He went to jail for perverting the course of justice, not swapping points.
What? Tell me you're having a laugh...
No.
[quote][p][bold]behonest[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jonn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]behonest[/bold] wrote: Modern Britain under the Tories. Swap 3 points on your driving licence, a victimless crime with little harm done, and you go to jail. Because you have challenged the authorities. Engage in sexual activity with an 11 year-old child and you walk away scot-free. I appreciate a lot of child sex offenders seem to walk free because certain judges, for 'unknown' reasons, seem to empathise with them, but this just shows again that our legal system is quite disgusting and is in urgent need of reform.[/p][/quote]He went to jail for perverting the course of justice, not swapping points.[/p][/quote]What? Tell me you're having a laugh...[/p][/quote]No. Jonn

11:42am Thu 14 Mar 13

behonest says...

I didn't think so, but I thought you might just think about it and realise.....

What is the criminal charge for swapping points?
I didn't think so, but I thought you might just think about it and realise..... What is the criminal charge for swapping points? behonest

1:32pm Thu 14 Mar 13

behonest says...

Craz3yk wrote:
It doesn't matter how you look at he's a nonce a dirty child molester people won't forget him and I dare say he will get kicked to **** and in hideing.... Run nonceee run
True. Hopefully he'll realise there is no way back into decent society for such filthy nonce scum and he'll head off to Northallerton Railway Station to do the decent thing.

As Van Halen sang... 'Go ahead and jump!'
[quote][p][bold]Craz3yk[/bold] wrote: It doesn't matter how you look at he's a nonce a dirty child molester people won't forget him and I dare say he will get kicked to **** and in hideing.... Run nonceee run[/p][/quote]True. Hopefully he'll realise there is no way back into decent society for such filthy nonce scum and he'll head off to Northallerton Railway Station to do the decent thing. As Van Halen sang... 'Go ahead and jump!' behonest

4:55pm Thu 14 Mar 13

simon cowells pants says...

No one needs facebook, we all managed before it didn't we, if we all abandonded this nonsense the fraudsters and nonces would have one less place to hide, its in the peoples own hands, if all these kids with or without parental consent hadn't been on the god awful thing, some would be still alive. Live with it online chat rooms and social media are portals for deceit and lies, if you have friends, ring them up, christ theres even skype if your that tight or they are far away, write a letter or e-mail.
No one needs facebook, we all managed before it didn't we, if we all abandonded this nonsense the fraudsters and nonces would have one less place to hide, its in the peoples own hands, if all these kids with or without parental consent hadn't been on the god awful thing, some would be still alive. Live with it online chat rooms and social media are portals for deceit and lies, if you have friends, ring them up, christ theres even skype if your that tight or they are far away, write a letter or e-mail. simon cowells pants

5:18pm Sat 16 Mar 13

Duke of Aycliffe says...

The judge should be sacked for being incompetent, & this vile man should have been jailed for a long time. However, this child is far too young to be on Facebook & unfortunately the Internet is full of this type of thing.
The judge should be sacked for being incompetent, & this vile man should have been jailed for a long time. However, this child is far too young to be on Facebook & unfortunately the Internet is full of this type of thing. Duke of Aycliffe

5:31pm Sat 16 Mar 13

rickylt says...

" I kept coaxing him until he said he wanted ' naked fun' " - why is this woman not taking responsibility for her actions? If she had told him to naff off there would have been no case.

How do we know that the man simply didn't believe he was talking to an 11-year-old, but in fact accepted without question it was an adult fantasising - a much more likely situation?
" I kept coaxing him until he said he wanted ' naked fun' " - why is this woman not taking responsibility for her actions? If she had told him to naff off there would have been no case. How do we know that the man simply didn't believe he was talking to an 11-year-old, but in fact accepted without question it was an adult fantasising - a much more likely situation? rickylt

10:06pm Sat 16 Mar 13

Dean M says...

rickylt wrote:
" I kept coaxing him until he said he wanted ' naked fun' " - why is this woman not taking responsibility for her actions? If she had told him to naff off there would have been no case.

How do we know that the man simply didn't believe he was talking to an 11-year-old, but in fact accepted without question it was an adult fantasising - a much more likely situation?
Are you for real? Or do you just like to defend nonce scum?

I wonder why.....
[quote][p][bold]rickylt[/bold] wrote: " I kept coaxing him until he said he wanted ' naked fun' " - why is this woman not taking responsibility for her actions? If she had told him to naff off there would have been no case. How do we know that the man simply didn't believe he was talking to an 11-year-old, but in fact accepted without question it was an adult fantasising - a much more likely situation?[/p][/quote]Are you for real? Or do you just like to defend nonce scum? I wonder why..... Dean M

12:39pm Mon 18 Mar 13

TheOneWhoKnocks says...

Madness that he did not do jail time. Yeah this situation had a hint of entrapment to it, but you can't defend his actions.
Madness that he did not do jail time. Yeah this situation had a hint of entrapment to it, but you can't defend his actions. TheOneWhoKnocks

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree