For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Safety probe after Durham school boiler blast
AN INVESTIGATION has been launched after a recently installed school boiler exploded, injuring a workman.
The Durham County Council repair man was rushed to hospital after the blast at Esh Winning Primary School, in Esh Winning, near Durham.
The £7.3m new-build school only opened last April.
Fire crews and an ambulance were rushed to the scene last Tuesday (March 5).
A council workman had been called to repair the biomass boiler when it blew up.
Although the boiler was not near any classrooms, the school was evacuated.
Eileen Grimes, the chair of governors, said the school had suffered a lot of trouble with the boiler – such that electric heaters had been installed in classrooms to keep children warm.
The boiler and a similar one at nearby Brandon Primary School, also rebuilt last year – at a cost of £7.2m, have now been removed, Mrs Grimes added.
She has written to the council demanding urgent action.
John Reed, the council’s head of technical services, said: “It is always upsetting when anyone is injured while going about their work and colleagues have sent their very best wishes for his speedy recovery.
“At no time was there any risk to any pupils or staff at the school. The boiler was immediately shut down and made safe.
“As is the normal response in any accident of this nature the appropriate health and safety investigations are under way.”
A spokeswoman for the Health and Safety Executive said it was aware of the incident and making preliminary enquiries.
More Durham News
- Engineering boss faces prospect of jail following conviction of manslaughter of worker
- High school hosts grandparents showcase
- Baroness Kennedy opens new Durham Law School
- New board members wanted for Deric project
- Durham City Homes advice session
- Packed summer at Durham's Gala Theatre
- Hinduism in the spotlight at Durham museum
- Former Durham City FC vice-chairman admits assaulting partner
- Thousands line Durham streets for elite cycling race
- Marking daring Dambuster raids, 70 years on
Comments are closed on this article.