TONY Blair and his wife Cherie today attended the funeral of Father John Caden, who served as Sedgefield's Roman Catholic priest for more than half a century.
The former Prime Minister struck up a friendship with Fr Caden while MP for Sedgefield. The priest baptised his four children as well as being Mr Blair's tennis doubles partner.
Fr Caden's funeral was held at noon at St Edmund's Church of England Church, his burial in Sedgefield Cemetery.
The 89-year-old, known as Jack, was also chairman of governors at Carmel College, in Darlington, for 25 years.
On learning of his death, Mr Blair, said: "John Caden was a charismatic, lively, warm and great spirited priest and public servant. He was a constant presence in my life and always there for us with friendship and good advice."
More Sedgefield News
- Family 'patriarch' jailed for drunken assault on sister's ex-partner
- Police investigate spate of burglaries in Trimdon Village
- Bishop Middleham chef prepares for 90-mile charity run
- Fraudster claimed he was a bailiff
- Rare moon rocks and priceless meteorites land in Trimdon school
- Efforts of volunteers recognised at awards night
- Parking is 'free after three' during December
- Police appeal for help to trace men who threatened homeowner with violence during attempted robbery
- Trimdon graduate helps improve health and hygiene in rural India
- Woman left devastated after thieves raid her Trimdon Grange stables