TONY Blair and his wife Cherie today attended the funeral of Father John Caden, who served as Sedgefield's Roman Catholic priest for more than half a century.
The former Prime Minister struck up a friendship with Fr Caden while MP for Sedgefield. The priest baptised his four children as well as being Mr Blair's tennis doubles partner.
Fr Caden's funeral was held at noon at St Edmund's Church of England Church, his burial in Sedgefield Cemetery.
Loading article content
The 89-year-old, known as Jack, was also chairman of governors at Carmel College, in Darlington, for 25 years.
On learning of his death, Mr Blair, said: "John Caden was a charismatic, lively, warm and great spirited priest and public servant. He was a constant presence in my life and always there for us with friendship and good advice."
More Sedgefield News
- Darlington has second highest proportion of under-performing secondary schools in country, figures reveal
- Hardwick Live: Madness confirmed as opening act for County Durham music festival; ticket details here
- Early bird discount for Muddy Mayhem
- Father battling cancer for second time spurred on as school's support helps smash £25,000 fundraising milestone
- Sedgefield Christmas tree festival boosts coffers of hospice and adoption charity
- Get peace of mind at wills workshops led by charity
- Weather pictures: Snow leads to accidents, road closures and schools shutting
- Fishburn burglary sparks call for extra vigilance from police
- Building opening marks new era for Sedgefield fun club
- Weather: Blizzard conditions set to sweep into north bringing with it a 'real taste of winter'