For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Tony Blair attends Sedgefield funeral of Father John Caden
TONY Blair and his wife Cherie today attended the funeral of Father John Caden, who served as Sedgefield's Roman Catholic priest for more than half a century.
The former Prime Minister struck up a friendship with Fr Caden while MP for Sedgefield. The priest baptised his four children as well as being Mr Blair's tennis doubles partner.
Fr Caden's funeral was held at noon at St Edmund's Church of England Church, his burial in Sedgefield Cemetery.
The 89-year-old, known as Jack, was also chairman of governors at Carmel College, in Darlington, for 25 years.
On learning of his death, Mr Blair, said: "John Caden was a charismatic, lively, warm and great spirited priest and public servant. He was a constant presence in my life and always there for us with friendship and good advice."
More Sedgefield News
- Special report into the state of Durham County Cricket Club's finances and the debate over county council loans
- County council answers questions around loans to cricket club
- Chief executive outlines the challenges facing cricket club
- Scout headquarters expansion gathers pace
- Sedgefield pupils reach for the stars
- Auditions held at Sedgefield to find Miss Durham 2014 entrants
- Residents face second fight to stop housing scheme near Barnard Castle
- Youngsters back project to create skate park for Spennymoor
- 'I ain't takin' down no mural' - Sherburn barber risks fine for 'defacing' war memorial
- Progress on regional super council hailed by North-East business chief
Comments are closed on this article.