For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Tony Blair attends Sedgefield funeral of Father John Caden
TONY Blair and his wife Cherie today attended the funeral of Father John Caden, who served as Sedgefield's Roman Catholic priest for more than half a century.
The former Prime Minister struck up a friendship with Fr Caden while MP for Sedgefield. The priest baptised his four children as well as being Mr Blair's tennis doubles partner.
Fr Caden's funeral was held at noon at St Edmund's Church of England Church, his burial in Sedgefield Cemetery.
The 89-year-old, known as Jack, was also chairman of governors at Carmel College, in Darlington, for 25 years.
On learning of his death, Mr Blair, said: "John Caden was a charismatic, lively, warm and great spirited priest and public servant. He was a constant presence in my life and always there for us with friendship and good advice."
More Sedgefield News
- 463% rise in North-East foodbank users in just 12 months
- 'Amazing, appalling, shocking' - the reality of Foodbank Britain
- Durham City improvement plans approved by council cabinet
- Popular play park back in action following resurfacing work
- Medieval magic to descend on North-East town
- Date set for Sedgefield school reunion
- City and town in bid for Britain in Bloom glory
- Community champions honoured across County Durham
- Date set for police band concert
- Supermarket staff help spring clean their neighbourhood
Comments are closed on this article.