TONY Blair and his wife Cherie today attended the funeral of Father John Caden, who served as Sedgefield's Roman Catholic priest for more than half a century.
The former Prime Minister struck up a friendship with Fr Caden while MP for Sedgefield. The priest baptised his four children as well as being Mr Blair's tennis doubles partner.
Fr Caden's funeral was held at noon at St Edmund's Church of England Church, his burial in Sedgefield Cemetery.
Loading article content
The 89-year-old, known as Jack, was also chairman of governors at Carmel College, in Darlington, for 25 years.
On learning of his death, Mr Blair, said: "John Caden was a charismatic, lively, warm and great spirited priest and public servant. He was a constant presence in my life and always there for us with friendship and good advice."
More Sedgefield News
- Former pub and supported accommodation sites identified for new housing in Newton Aycliffe and Tudhoe
- Dramatic pictures capture hundreds of runners battling it out at annual Sedgefield relays
- Sedgefield club teenagers secure second place for England water polo team
- Do you recognise these suspects caught on CCTV?
- Sedgefield's Hardwick Park to host Neptune Relays on Wednesday
- Food festival for all this weekend
- Office plan for former nursery
- Co-op store pledge to help warm churchgoers in Sedgefield
- Lucky escape for driver in 100mph race track crash
- Sir Bobby Robson's widow's loyalty leads County Durham boutique to give back to charity