TONY Blair and his wife Cherie today attended the funeral of Father John Caden, who served as Sedgefield's Roman Catholic priest for more than half a century.
The former Prime Minister struck up a friendship with Fr Caden while MP for Sedgefield. The priest baptised his four children as well as being Mr Blair's tennis doubles partner.
Fr Caden's funeral was held at noon at St Edmund's Church of England Church, his burial in Sedgefield Cemetery.
Loading article content
The 89-year-old, known as Jack, was also chairman of governors at Carmel College, in Darlington, for 25 years.
On learning of his death, Mr Blair, said: "John Caden was a charismatic, lively, warm and great spirited priest and public servant. He was a constant presence in my life and always there for us with friendship and good advice."
More Sedgefield News
- Try our mock SATs Key Stage 1 and 2 tests - could you pass?
- Sedgefield crowns its Flower Queen ahead of annual medieval fair
- Snap up some fantastic prizes in the Winning Smile photo competition
- Region's athletes descend on County Durham for annual relays
- Landlord of pub which welcomed Bush and Blair raises toast to 40 years at the helm
- Sedgefield Village Games set for Rio-inspired summer return
- County Durham festival reveals Chase and Status to top the bill
- Hitachi, Arriva North East and British Army show commitment to local area at village job fair
- Fishburn community centre reopens after modern revamp
- Community job club to hold job fair in Trimdon Station