TONY Blair and his wife Cherie today attended the funeral of Father John Caden, who served as Sedgefield's Roman Catholic priest for more than half a century.
The former Prime Minister struck up a friendship with Fr Caden while MP for Sedgefield. The priest baptised his four children as well as being Mr Blair's tennis doubles partner.
Fr Caden's funeral was held at noon at St Edmund's Church of England Church, his burial in Sedgefield Cemetery.
Loading article content
The 89-year-old, known as Jack, was also chairman of governors at Carmel College, in Darlington, for 25 years.
On learning of his death, Mr Blair, said: "John Caden was a charismatic, lively, warm and great spirited priest and public servant. He was a constant presence in my life and always there for us with friendship and good advice."
More Sedgefield News
- Family in midst of three-year-old's cancer battle hold thank you fundraiser
- Your Pictures: Heavy snowfall hits region causing disruption on roads
- County Durham village primary schools secures place in country's top one per cent
- One man taken to hospital after head-on collision in Newton Aycliffe
- Mayor of Sedgefield's Charity Ball raises £4,500 for worthy causes
- Man claimed bite attack on woman was in "retaliation" for her initial assault on him
- Sedgefield Mayor braced to run charity marathon in parkrun laps
- Sedgefield's Hardwick Hall Hotel set for £350,000 refurbishment
- Line-up for 12th annual Sedgefield Folk Festival announced
- Kids get messy to teach fellow Fishburn pupils with circus of science experiments