For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Tony Blair attends Sedgefield funeral of Father John Caden
TONY Blair and his wife Cherie today attended the funeral of Father John Caden, who served as Sedgefield's Roman Catholic priest for more than half a century.
The former Prime Minister struck up a friendship with Fr Caden while MP for Sedgefield. The priest baptised his four children as well as being Mr Blair's tennis doubles partner.
Fr Caden's funeral was held at noon at St Edmund's Church of England Church, his burial in Sedgefield Cemetery.
The 89-year-old, known as Jack, was also chairman of governors at Carmel College, in Darlington, for 25 years.
On learning of his death, Mr Blair, said: "John Caden was a charismatic, lively, warm and great spirited priest and public servant. He was a constant presence in my life and always there for us with friendship and good advice."
More Sedgefield News
- Talks agreed over future of children's centres
- Sedgefield apprentice is top of the class
- Lib Dem bid to force Living Wage fails
- Trimdon couple fundraise for independence
- Man denies pretending to be bailiff
- Rugby fundraiser supports two groups
- Apprentice chef thrown in at the deep end at Sedgefield oyster festival
- Councillors reject plans to build 44 homes on outskirts of Shotton Colliery
- Motorcycle riders on last lap
- Planners spurn £17m student digs scheme for former mental hospital
Comments are closed on this article.