TONY Blair and his wife Cherie today attended the funeral of Father John Caden, who served as Sedgefield's Roman Catholic priest for more than half a century.
The former Prime Minister struck up a friendship with Fr Caden while MP for Sedgefield. The priest baptised his four children as well as being Mr Blair's tennis doubles partner.
Fr Caden's funeral was held at noon at St Edmund's Church of England Church, his burial in Sedgefield Cemetery.
The 89-year-old, known as Jack, was also chairman of governors at Carmel College, in Darlington, for 25 years.
On learning of his death, Mr Blair, said: "John Caden was a charismatic, lively, warm and great spirited priest and public servant. He was a constant presence in my life and always there for us with friendship and good advice."
More Sedgefield News
- Sedgefield florist sets out to inspire the next generation of flower arrangers
- Plans submitted for 42-home development in Sedgefield
- Sedgefield horse fair passes without incident
- Cult TV show starring North-East born actor could return
- Sedgefield gears up for evening of glamour
- Smoking ban for play areas considered
- Police and council reassure Sedgefield and Fishburn residents following arrival of unauthorised horse fair
- Global interest in sight-saving sleep mask
- County Durham council tenants vote for homes transfer
- Sedgefield park introduces new running routes