TONY Blair and his wife Cherie today attended the funeral of Father John Caden, who served as Sedgefield's Roman Catholic priest for more than half a century.
The former Prime Minister struck up a friendship with Fr Caden while MP for Sedgefield. The priest baptised his four children as well as being Mr Blair's tennis doubles partner.
Fr Caden's funeral was held at noon at St Edmund's Church of England Church, his burial in Sedgefield Cemetery.
The 89-year-old, known as Jack, was also chairman of governors at Carmel College, in Darlington, for 25 years.
On learning of his death, Mr Blair, said: "John Caden was a charismatic, lively, warm and great spirited priest and public servant. He was a constant presence in my life and always there for us with friendship and good advice."
More Sedgefield News
- Lifesaving kit installed in Sedgefield
- Second chance to sign up for new treatment
- Box for Darcie in Trimdon
- Show organisers face trial over boy's death
- Mayor visits his village school
- Expert adoption advice in Durham
- New opening times for county's recycling centres
- Children highlight dangers of dog poo through posters
- Village sport success
- 'They won't force me out' - Last remaining resident protests over care home closure