TONY Blair and his wife Cherie today attended the funeral of Father John Caden, who served as Sedgefield's Roman Catholic priest for more than half a century.
The former Prime Minister struck up a friendship with Fr Caden while MP for Sedgefield. The priest baptised his four children as well as being Mr Blair's tennis doubles partner.
Fr Caden's funeral was held at noon at St Edmund's Church of England Church, his burial in Sedgefield Cemetery.
The 89-year-old, known as Jack, was also chairman of governors at Carmel College, in Darlington, for 25 years.
On learning of his death, Mr Blair, said: "John Caden was a charismatic, lively, warm and great spirited priest and public servant. He was a constant presence in my life and always there for us with friendship and good advice."
More Sedgefield News
- Drivers fined during flytipping crackdown
- Sedgefield Harriers to host major cross country event
- Council backs 20mph limit for 33 schools
- Beauty and the Beast embrace social media in Sedgefield panto
- Council reveals its Christmas opening hours
- Frozen themed walk to school for Sedgefield pupils
- Sedgefield traders frustration at High Street closure weeks before Christmas
- Fishburn parents object to new school bus fares
- Little angels spread festive cheer in Sedgefield supermarket
- Sedgefield choir sees out 40th anniversary year with a Christmas concert to remember