TONY Blair and his wife Cherie today attended the funeral of Father John Caden, who served as Sedgefield's Roman Catholic priest for more than half a century.
The former Prime Minister struck up a friendship with Fr Caden while MP for Sedgefield. The priest baptised his four children as well as being Mr Blair's tennis doubles partner.
Fr Caden's funeral was held at noon at St Edmund's Church of England Church, his burial in Sedgefield Cemetery.
The 89-year-old, known as Jack, was also chairman of governors at Carmel College, in Darlington, for 25 years.
On learning of his death, Mr Blair, said: "John Caden was a charismatic, lively, warm and great spirited priest and public servant. He was a constant presence in my life and always there for us with friendship and good advice."
More Sedgefield News
- Sedgefield Manor House begins new business era
- Council scraps exercise referral scheme
- Clucking popular
- Water polo champions back charity appeal
- Call to scrap fees hike
- Council backs minimum booze price campaign
- Councillors' payments frozen
- Durham council cuts amount of time public are given to ask questions
- Balaclava DNA lands 17-year-old with 6 year prison sentence for spate of burglaries
- Council acted 'unlawfully' over housing scheme