TONY Blair and his wife Cherie today attended the funeral of Father John Caden, who served as Sedgefield's Roman Catholic priest for more than half a century.
The former Prime Minister struck up a friendship with Fr Caden while MP for Sedgefield. The priest baptised his four children as well as being Mr Blair's tennis doubles partner.
Fr Caden's funeral was held at noon at St Edmund's Church of England Church, his burial in Sedgefield Cemetery.
Loading article content
The 89-year-old, known as Jack, was also chairman of governors at Carmel College, in Darlington, for 25 years.
On learning of his death, Mr Blair, said: "John Caden was a charismatic, lively, warm and great spirited priest and public servant. He was a constant presence in my life and always there for us with friendship and good advice."
More Sedgefield News
- Sedgefield Scouts celebrate golden date
- Sedgefield's Somme fallen to be remembered
- Down to the Woods festival at Hardwick Hall, Sedgefield cancelled "due to present financial climate"
- How the North-East and North Yorkshire voted in the EU referendum
- Farage declares June 23 'our independence day' after Leave victory
- Live: Britain to leave the EU after historic vote - what now?
- David Cameron resigns after Brexit defeat
- On a momentous day for Britain and its place in the world we urge readers to put the North-East first
- Young and old join as Trimdons toast Queen's 90th birthday
- Warning to fly-tippers as South Durham parish council invests in covert camera