TONY Blair and his wife Cherie today attended the funeral of Father John Caden, who served as Sedgefield's Roman Catholic priest for more than half a century.
The former Prime Minister struck up a friendship with Fr Caden while MP for Sedgefield. The priest baptised his four children as well as being Mr Blair's tennis doubles partner.
Fr Caden's funeral was held at noon at St Edmund's Church of England Church, his burial in Sedgefield Cemetery.
The 89-year-old, known as Jack, was also chairman of governors at Carmel College, in Darlington, for 25 years.
On learning of his death, Mr Blair, said: "John Caden was a charismatic, lively, warm and great spirited priest and public servant. He was a constant presence in my life and always there for us with friendship and good advice."
More Sedgefield News
- Sedgefield crowns its flower queen
- Brave baby Roman inspires Fishburn heart unit fundraiser
- Family fun at Sedgefield music festival
- Record turnout for Sedgefield relay race
- Peter Rabbit inspires creative youngsters in Trimdon
- Former Sedgefield residents' group donates its coffers to charity
- Health care assistant is crowned Miss Durham at Sedgefield Racecourse
- Festival goers can flex funny bones as comics added to line-up
- Winners of Sustrans competition entertained by daredevil cyclists
- Ex-soldier facing jail for inciting Filipino woman to commit child sex offence on-line