TONY Blair and his wife Cherie today attended the funeral of Father John Caden, who served as Sedgefield's Roman Catholic priest for more than half a century.
The former Prime Minister struck up a friendship with Fr Caden while MP for Sedgefield. The priest baptised his four children as well as being Mr Blair's tennis doubles partner.
Fr Caden's funeral was held at noon at St Edmund's Church of England Church, his burial in Sedgefield Cemetery.
Loading article content
The 89-year-old, known as Jack, was also chairman of governors at Carmel College, in Darlington, for 25 years.
On learning of his death, Mr Blair, said: "John Caden was a charismatic, lively, warm and great spirited priest and public servant. He was a constant presence in my life and always there for us with friendship and good advice."
More Sedgefield News
- County Durham villages in line for ambitious ten-day celebration of cultural
- Traffic alert: A1(M) reopens after earlier accident
- Friday, September 23, 2016: Traffic updates from the region's roads
- Sedgefield Cricket Club braced for second celebration of ale
- MP seeks reassurance over fit-for-work assessments for people with mental health issues
- Lorry crash causes seven mile tailbacks on A19 during morning rush hour
- Plan for Sedgefield building conversion recommended for refusal
- Steins at the ready for county’s Oktoberfest event
- New era for historic County Durham building as it welcomes events manager
- Sedgefield gardeners strike gold at region's horticulture awards