TONY Blair and his wife Cherie today attended the funeral of Father John Caden, who served as Sedgefield's Roman Catholic priest for more than half a century.
The former Prime Minister struck up a friendship with Fr Caden while MP for Sedgefield. The priest baptised his four children as well as being Mr Blair's tennis doubles partner.
Fr Caden's funeral was held at noon at St Edmund's Church of England Church, his burial in Sedgefield Cemetery.
The 89-year-old, known as Jack, was also chairman of governors at Carmel College, in Darlington, for 25 years.
On learning of his death, Mr Blair, said: "John Caden was a charismatic, lively, warm and great spirited priest and public servant. He was a constant presence in my life and always there for us with friendship and good advice."
More Sedgefield News
- Traffic warden forced to jump out of way of angry Ferryhill motorist's car
- Calls to scrap Ferryhill town survey after very poor public response
- Tony Blair's former Trimdon Colliery home that's hosted President George Bush is up for sale
- West Cornforth fundraisers keep helpline going
- UPDATED: Inspector slams council's multi-billion pound blueprint for future of County Durham
- VIDEO: Shrove Tuesday doesn't only mean pancakes for people of Sedgefield
- Motor home fire on motorway
- Sedgefield woman with a "lucky face" celebrates 100th birthday
- Amateur fighters set to battle for England Boxing Youth Championship at Ferryhill
- Fishburn reunited with pit wheel after 40 years