For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Tony Blair attends Sedgefield funeral of Father John Caden
TONY Blair and his wife Cherie today attended the funeral of Father John Caden, who served as Sedgefield's Roman Catholic priest for more than half a century.
The former Prime Minister struck up a friendship with Fr Caden while MP for Sedgefield. The priest baptised his four children as well as being Mr Blair's tennis doubles partner.
Fr Caden's funeral was held at noon at St Edmund's Church of England Church, his burial in Sedgefield Cemetery.
The 89-year-old, known as Jack, was also chairman of governors at Carmel College, in Darlington, for 25 years.
On learning of his death, Mr Blair, said: "John Caden was a charismatic, lively, warm and great spirited priest and public servant. He was a constant presence in my life and always there for us with friendship and good advice."
More Sedgefield News
- Sedgefield prepares for nostalgic 1940s event
- Free Metafit workout sessions
- Workshop to teach youngsters bushcraft survival skills
- Councils' super-authority plan moves ahead
- Cold callers not welcome in Ouston neighbourhood
- Drive to improve recycling
- Improvement to social housing across County Durham moves step closer
- Packed homes meeting
- Youngsters enjoy cathedral leavers' services
- Crackdown of illegal North-East fishing a success