TONY Blair and his wife Cherie today attended the funeral of Father John Caden, who served as Sedgefield's Roman Catholic priest for more than half a century.
The former Prime Minister struck up a friendship with Fr Caden while MP for Sedgefield. The priest baptised his four children as well as being Mr Blair's tennis doubles partner.
Fr Caden's funeral was held at noon at St Edmund's Church of England Church, his burial in Sedgefield Cemetery.
Loading article content
The 89-year-old, known as Jack, was also chairman of governors at Carmel College, in Darlington, for 25 years.
On learning of his death, Mr Blair, said: "John Caden was a charismatic, lively, warm and great spirited priest and public servant. He was a constant presence in my life and always there for us with friendship and good advice."
More Sedgefield News
- Stunts for kids who walk, cycle and scoot to school
- Dog rescuers get £4,500 boost from supermarket
- Family seeking permission to keep land in Trimdons as permanent traveller site
- Chung Do Kwan Taekwondo club raises more than £1,000 for charities
- Kids make a mess before Sedgefield school building demolition
- Overnight road closure warning to A689 motorists
- Major mixed-use development looks set for refusal in Sedgefield
- Villages' young and old gather to commemorate the 40 men who lost their lives at the Somme
- Man jailed for seven years for abuse of girls when he was a teenager
- Sainsbury's and Tesco recall tinned products over fears they contain rubber