TONY Blair and his wife Cherie today attended the funeral of Father John Caden, who served as Sedgefield's Roman Catholic priest for more than half a century.
The former Prime Minister struck up a friendship with Fr Caden while MP for Sedgefield. The priest baptised his four children as well as being Mr Blair's tennis doubles partner.
Fr Caden's funeral was held at noon at St Edmund's Church of England Church, his burial in Sedgefield Cemetery.
Loading article content
The 89-year-old, known as Jack, was also chairman of governors at Carmel College, in Darlington, for 25 years.
On learning of his death, Mr Blair, said: "John Caden was a charismatic, lively, warm and great spirited priest and public servant. He was a constant presence in my life and always there for us with friendship and good advice."
More Sedgefield News
- Sedgefield Racecourse prepares for Boxing Day fixture
- Pictures: Cute kids in their Nativity plays down the years plus one 99-year-old angel
- Pam Royle opens Sedgefield's first Christmas Tree Festival
- Train fares set to rise by average of more than two per cent from January
- Pictures: Stars of grassroots sport are celebrated at the 17th annual Local Heroes Awards
- Our hero, Amy Tinkler - North-East grassroots stars honoured during Local Heroes Awards 2016
- Outrage at destruction in play parks where glass was left on handles of toddlers' slide
- Sedgefield Racecourse set for mini ale festival raceday
- Local Heroes Awards 2016 as it happened
- Charity welcomes donation for its Christmas appeal for children in need