For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Tony Blair attends Sedgefield funeral of Father John Caden
TONY Blair and his wife Cherie today attended the funeral of Father John Caden, who served as Sedgefield's Roman Catholic priest for more than half a century.
The former Prime Minister struck up a friendship with Fr Caden while MP for Sedgefield. The priest baptised his four children as well as being Mr Blair's tennis doubles partner.
Fr Caden's funeral was held at noon at St Edmund's Church of England Church, his burial in Sedgefield Cemetery.
The 89-year-old, known as Jack, was also chairman of governors at Carmel College, in Darlington, for 25 years.
On learning of his death, Mr Blair, said: "John Caden was a charismatic, lively, warm and great spirited priest and public servant. He was a constant presence in my life and always there for us with friendship and good advice."
More Sedgefield News
- Gary's the money man for police boss Hogg
- Meals on wheels group launches website advertising services in County Durham
- Community alarm service needs to save £1m
- Petition launched to tackle parking problems in Bishop Auckland
- Plan to make Bishop Auckland Food Festival best yet
- Durham County Council to consider building homes for sale and private rent on land it owns
- County Durham prepares to mark centenary of First World War
- Fundraisers create Paws Up calendar to help retired police dogs in Durham
- Floodlights stolen from cricket club
- Christmas goings on in south Durham
Comments are closed on this article.