TONY Blair and his wife Cherie today attended the funeral of Father John Caden, who served as Sedgefield's Roman Catholic priest for more than half a century.
The former Prime Minister struck up a friendship with Fr Caden while MP for Sedgefield. The priest baptised his four children as well as being Mr Blair's tennis doubles partner.
Fr Caden's funeral was held at noon at St Edmund's Church of England Church, his burial in Sedgefield Cemetery.
The 89-year-old, known as Jack, was also chairman of governors at Carmel College, in Darlington, for 25 years.
On learning of his death, Mr Blair, said: "John Caden was a charismatic, lively, warm and great spirited priest and public servant. He was a constant presence in my life and always there for us with friendship and good advice."
More Sedgefield News
- Easter activities lined up for Sedgefield Racecourse
- Woman who stopped to help man in Sedgefield lane was punched in the face
- Trimdon and Barnard Castle churches celebrate £78,000 funding boost
- Sedgefield theatre director steps down after 44 years
- Hardwick Live tickets released early due to soaring demand
- Sewing the seeds of creativity in Sedgefield
- Pupils prepare to take to the stage for dance festival
- Entertaining angels in Sedgefield
- Top bands set to perform at Hardwick Live 2015
- Runners celebrate Sedgefield Parkrun's third birthday