TONY Blair and his wife Cherie today attended the funeral of Father John Caden, who served as Sedgefield's Roman Catholic priest for more than half a century.
The former Prime Minister struck up a friendship with Fr Caden while MP for Sedgefield. The priest baptised his four children as well as being Mr Blair's tennis doubles partner.
Fr Caden's funeral was held at noon at St Edmund's Church of England Church, his burial in Sedgefield Cemetery.
Loading article content
The 89-year-old, known as Jack, was also chairman of governors at Carmel College, in Darlington, for 25 years.
On learning of his death, Mr Blair, said: "John Caden was a charismatic, lively, warm and great spirited priest and public servant. He was a constant presence in my life and always there for us with friendship and good advice."
More Sedgefield News
- Sedgefield Racecourse announces winners of stable yard and trainer competitions
- Sisters' long locks chopped off to show support for three-year-old with rare form of epilepsy
- Watch: 'Rise up' - former Sedgefield MP Tony Blair's message to people opposed to Brexit
- Finally home for County Durham mum - one month after head-on Thailand bike crash
- Tickets on sale for annual fundraising Lobster Ball at Sedgefield's Hardwick Hall Hotel
- Annual walk to be held in Sedgefield to remember lost children and babies
- Sedgefield care home’s oldest resident Ivy Potts reaches momentous age of 102
- Repairs plan for Grade-listed Sedgefield church in motion
- Trimdon: Village folk band to star in ITV drama Vera
- Trimdon: A century on, one of oldest pit banners set for historic return to Durham Miners' Gala