TONY Blair and his wife Cherie today attended the funeral of Father John Caden, who served as Sedgefield's Roman Catholic priest for more than half a century.
The former Prime Minister struck up a friendship with Fr Caden while MP for Sedgefield. The priest baptised his four children as well as being Mr Blair's tennis doubles partner.
Fr Caden's funeral was held at noon at St Edmund's Church of England Church, his burial in Sedgefield Cemetery.
The 89-year-old, known as Jack, was also chairman of governors at Carmel College, in Darlington, for 25 years.
On learning of his death, Mr Blair, said: "John Caden was a charismatic, lively, warm and great spirited priest and public servant. He was a constant presence in my life and always there for us with friendship and good advice."
More Sedgefield News
- Sedgefield all set for weekend of sporting fun
- Pop royalty The Jacksons give unforgettable performance in Sedgefield
- Burnt out house remains a blight on the lives of Trimdon Station residents 18 months on
- Child traumatised after object thrown from bridge near Sedgefield, County Durham, smashes car windscreen
- Indian restaurant creates 11 new jobs in Trimdon Village
- Hardwick goes live with Simple Minds
- Council chairman's 'clothing allowance' scrapped - but has change gone far enough?
- Fishburn youngsters prove enthusiastic recruits
- Mother of three missing from home is found safe and well
- Sedgefield's golden couple only have eyes for each other