TWO women stole chicken from a supermarket and sold it for half the price to fund their heroin addictions, a court heard.
Nicola Ludgate, 37, and Dawn Mitchinson, 47, both of West Moor Road, Darlington, appeared before the town’s magistrates yesterday (Tuesday, February 26) jointly charged with theft following the offence, which took place on Valentine’s Day this year.
Blair Martin, prosecuting, said the pair had stolen the chicken, worth £12, from an Asda supermarket, which they later sold for about £6 and split the proceeds between them to pay for their addictions.
Loading article content
They were also charged with a further theft offence after they were caught stealing almost £70 worth of coffee and deodorant from the same supermarket the day after.
The pair admitted both offences, which put Ludgate in breach of a six-month community order imposed only hours before the first offence took place.
She was handed a conditional discharge for six months and ordered to pay £6 compensation to Asda.
Mitchinson, who has more than 100 convictions for dishonesty, was released on conditional bail and will appear on Thursday, March 7 for sentencing to allow the probation service to prepare a pre-sentence report.
More Crime News
- Alan Bennett jailed for 32 years for frenzied knife attack murders of Lynne Freeman and Jodie Betteridge in Redcar
- Clergyman accepts hugging boy, but denies indecency claims
- Woman injured after disturbing burglar who broke into her home in broad daylight
- Suspected stolen vehicle crashes into wall after police chase - four arrested
- Church accused of 'cover up' in handling of complaints about 'inappropriate' behaviour of vicar
- Eleven arrests in string of drug raids across the region
- Two Crook men deny joint truck theft allegation
- Man in court over wish to change the colour of a river and prayer to god
- Man and woman charged with attempted robbery at Darlington corner shop
- Young churchgoer alleged to have been abused by clergyman thought 'that's what vicars do', court told
More Darlington News
- Concern grows for missing Darlington pensioner Archibald Campbell after extensive searches throughout night
- 'A true Titan' - tributes paid to 14-year-old wheelchair basketball star, Stephen Johnson
- Man robbed ink to 'change colour of River Skerne' and was in possession of stolen tools as result of 'answered prayer'
- Parents’ gratitude after baby underwent surgery
- Fund to encourage art in the town
- Baking tasty treats to raise money for forces charity
- Mrs Galaxy Pageant for Teeside
- Dopey Darlington drug user's 'amateurish' cannabis farm sparks devastating house fire
- Two rescued by boat at popular River Tees swimming site near Darlington
- Man suffers 'life-changing' injuries following crash on A690