TWO women stole chicken from a supermarket and sold it for half the price to fund their heroin addictions, a court heard.
Nicola Ludgate, 37, and Dawn Mitchinson, 47, both of West Moor Road, Darlington, appeared before the town’s magistrates yesterday (Tuesday, February 26) jointly charged with theft following the offence, which took place on Valentine’s Day this year.
Blair Martin, prosecuting, said the pair had stolen the chicken, worth £12, from an Asda supermarket, which they later sold for about £6 and split the proceeds between them to pay for their addictions.
They were also charged with a further theft offence after they were caught stealing almost £70 worth of coffee and deodorant from the same supermarket the day after.
The pair admitted both offences, which put Ludgate in breach of a six-month community order imposed only hours before the first offence took place.
She was handed a conditional discharge for six months and ordered to pay £6 compensation to Asda.
Mitchinson, who has more than 100 convictions for dishonesty, was released on conditional bail and will appear on Thursday, March 7 for sentencing to allow the probation service to prepare a pre-sentence report.
More Crime News
- VIDEO: Man clings to car bonnet in pants as it speeds down road at over 50mph as part of NekNomination stunt
- Motorists who cause deaths by using mobile phones targeted by police in Durham and Cleveland
- Reward for information after masked men tie up elderly couple before robbing them
- Stockton man admits stalking a musician he met on dating website
- Burglar accused of setting fire to disabled woman's home to cover up crime is cleared of causing her death
- Violent and sexual crime rises down to "growing confidence in police", bosses say
- Police appeal for information to trace car used in Middlesbrough jewellers raid
- Court told of TV weatherman Fred Talbot's 'boundless energy' and 'extrovert personality' during alleged abuse trial
- Man injured in Sunderland jewellery robbery
- Man assaulted after snowball attack
More Darlington News
- Darlington's Spartan warrior Francis Jones set to star in BBC series
- JAILED: Darlington man Edward McArthur pleads guilty to setting girlfriend alight
- Heating costs force ancient St Cuthbert's Church to move services
- Police appeal for witnesses after betting shop break in
- Allergy expert highlights food labelling changes
- Green Party in Darlington announces its candidate for the General Election
- Student fundraising for gap year trip to help Jamaican orphanage
- Raffle tickets to boost club funds
- Concerns over danger road in Darlington
- Redhall Tigers FC vs Spraire Lads: the country's worst football team lose - again