TWO women stole chicken from a supermarket and sold it for half the price to fund their heroin addictions, a court heard.
Nicola Ludgate, 37, and Dawn Mitchinson, 47, both of West Moor Road, Darlington, appeared before the town’s magistrates yesterday (Tuesday, February 26) jointly charged with theft following the offence, which took place on Valentine’s Day this year.
Blair Martin, prosecuting, said the pair had stolen the chicken, worth £12, from an Asda supermarket, which they later sold for about £6 and split the proceeds between them to pay for their addictions.
They were also charged with a further theft offence after they were caught stealing almost £70 worth of coffee and deodorant from the same supermarket the day after.
The pair admitted both offences, which put Ludgate in breach of a six-month community order imposed only hours before the first offence took place.
She was handed a conditional discharge for six months and ordered to pay £6 compensation to Asda.
Mitchinson, who has more than 100 convictions for dishonesty, was released on conditional bail and will appear on Thursday, March 7 for sentencing to allow the probation service to prepare a pre-sentence report.
More Crime News
- Police appeal after young woman attacked in Newton Aycliffe
- Have you seen this man suspected of conning money out of elderly smokers?
- Police trained to spot paedophile tattoos and clothes
- Unmasked: Paedophile who worked in schools across region as children's counsellor
- Region's businesses urged to guard against online crime
- Police investigating Tipu Sultan's murder release new CCTV images of two suspects on a motorbike
- Man held over Claudia Lawrence case 'gives police new information'
- Police make arrest in connection with knifepoint robbery on 14-year-old boy
- Woman attacked by three men and cash stolen
- Eston hills ablaze again as Cleveland Fire Brigade reveals true cost of arson
More Darlington News
- Little Lucy hoping to meet Disney princesses following leukaemia battle
- Darlington hosts the 'FA cup finals of bowling'
- Hundreds gather to pay tribute to tragic teenagers Kyle Hull and Tyrone Singh
- Police award for talented media students
- Appeal after jewellery stolen in Darlington burglary
- North-East minister honoured by the Royal Photographic Society
- Staff celebrate more than 400 years' service at North-East college
- Police release photo of man in area of Darlington railway signal failure
- Proposals for 44-acre solar farm near Darlington
- The Green Room promises to usher in a new era of live music in Darlington