TWO women stole chicken from a supermarket and sold it for half the price to fund their heroin addictions, a court heard.
Nicola Ludgate, 37, and Dawn Mitchinson, 47, both of West Moor Road, Darlington, appeared before the town’s magistrates yesterday (Tuesday, February 26) jointly charged with theft following the offence, which took place on Valentine’s Day this year.
Blair Martin, prosecuting, said the pair had stolen the chicken, worth £12, from an Asda supermarket, which they later sold for about £6 and split the proceeds between them to pay for their addictions.
They were also charged with a further theft offence after they were caught stealing almost £70 worth of coffee and deodorant from the same supermarket the day after.
The pair admitted both offences, which put Ludgate in breach of a six-month community order imposed only hours before the first offence took place.
She was handed a conditional discharge for six months and ordered to pay £6 compensation to Asda.
Mitchinson, who has more than 100 convictions for dishonesty, was released on conditional bail and will appear on Thursday, March 7 for sentencing to allow the probation service to prepare a pre-sentence report.
More Crime News
- Doctor cupped schoolgirl patient's breasts and played with her nipples, court told
- Sunderland star Adam Johnson arrested over allegation of sexual activity with schoolgirl, 15
- Woman hurt after being pushed to floor by robber during filling station raid
- 'Kick trolls off Facebook and Twitter for life' - Durham Chief Constable
- New laws to tackle drug drivers are coming into force
- Durham Police performance made easier to monitor
- Man, 60, released from hospital after being stabbed during attempted robbery
- Women threatened by knifeman
- Concerns raised over police helicopter rapid response cover
- Police release photo of man they need to speak to following Newcastle rape
More Darlington News
- Art exhibition in Heighington will raise money for Mayor's charities
- Aldi admits 'mistakenly' allowing deliveries on a Sunday for more than 20 years
- Appeal for witnesses after nine-year-old girl knocked off her bike near school
- BALLOT: Have you travelled on the new Virgin East Coast mainline? Let us know your experiences
- Fun and games at Darlington library for World Book Day
- Award winning musical visits Darlington theatre for 25th anniversary celebrations
- The 'FA cup finals of bowling' to take place in Darlington
- £1.4m campaign to help rural residents turn community dreams into reality
- These girls can – martial arts academy backs national campaign
- Longfield Academy team cycles their way to Watt bike victory