For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Woman admits harassing the family of missing girl
A COUNTY Durham woman has pleaded guilty to harassing the family of a girl who disappeared more than 30 years ago.
Donna Louise Wright admitted using social networking site Facebook to harass Katrice Lee’s sister, Natasha, and mother, Sharon, between December 4, 2011 and November 24, 2012.
Two-year-old Katrice went missing in 1981 while shopping with her mother in Germany, where her father Richard Lee, from Hartlepool, was stationed with the Army. Despite international appeals she has never been found.
Wright, of Hillside Court, Spennymoor, County Durham, was granted special measures to appear at Newton Aycliffe Magistrates Court by video link today (Wednesday, February 27) due to mental health problems.
It followed the adjournment of three previous court hearings after the 33-year-old was deemed unfit to attend.
Wright, who was recently discharged from hospital, pleaded guilty to harassment but the exact details of her actions will not be revealed until March 19, when she will be sentenced at the same court over video link.
Jane Scott, mitigating, said the media interest in the case had put Wright under immense pressure.
“She is not medically fit to withstand the process of attending court in person,” she added.
District Judge Martin Walker said he felt it was appropriate to step away from the normal court procedure, given the advice of medical experts.
“I am satisfied it is right in the interest of justice she continues to appear by video link,” he added.
More Crime News
- Social workers jailed for sexually abusing vulnerable boys at North-East residential homes
- Police warning over PIN con
- New home needed for Cleveland Police dog Jet
- Two men arrested after late night stab attack
- 'I do not deliberately expose myself' - former teacher on trial denies sex offences
- Gang beat up man in street
- Punch in the face leaves man with fractured cheekbone
- Police release images of man wanted in connection with Stanley bank raid
- Mother and sex offender son deny perverting course of justice
- Men 'celebrated' after kicking victim in head, court told