For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Woman admits harassing the family of missing girl
A COUNTY Durham woman has pleaded guilty to harassing the family of a girl who disappeared more than 30 years ago.
Donna Louise Wright admitted using social networking site Facebook to harass Katrice Lee’s sister, Natasha, and mother, Sharon, between December 4, 2011 and November 24, 2012.
Two-year-old Katrice went missing in 1981 while shopping with her mother in Germany, where her father Richard Lee, from Hartlepool, was stationed with the Army. Despite international appeals she has never been found.
Wright, of Hillside Court, Spennymoor, County Durham, was granted special measures to appear at Newton Aycliffe Magistrates Court by video link today (Wednesday, February 27) due to mental health problems.
It followed the adjournment of three previous court hearings after the 33-year-old was deemed unfit to attend.
Wright, who was recently discharged from hospital, pleaded guilty to harassment but the exact details of her actions will not be revealed until March 19, when she will be sentenced at the same court over video link.
Jane Scott, mitigating, said the media interest in the case had put Wright under immense pressure.
“She is not medically fit to withstand the process of attending court in person,” she added.
District Judge Martin Walker said he felt it was appropriate to step away from the normal court procedure, given the advice of medical experts.
“I am satisfied it is right in the interest of justice she continues to appear by video link,” he added.
More Crime News
- Man arrested after woman found dead in Gateshead
- Five arrests in just six days for new team of cycling crime-fighters
- Man jailed for pool cue pub attack
- UPDATED: Nine arrests after reports of man armed with weapon
- Woman blinded when friend "stamped on her face with stilettos," court told
- Danger driver sped through Darlington at 90mph, court told
- Man in court on assault charges following incident in Hartlepool which saw 26-year-old seriously injured
- Three held after man found wandering streets dies a day after apparently taking drugs at Newcastle party
- Danger driver Ashley Lindo who killed eight-year-old in 2006 jailed again after high speed police chase
- Pub landlord arrested in Claudia Lawrence inquiry describes his family's devastation