A COUNTY Durham woman has pleaded guilty to harassing the family of a girl who disappeared more than 30 years ago.
Donna Louise Wright admitted using social networking site Facebook to harass Katrice Lee’s sister, Natasha, and mother, Sharon, between December 4, 2011 and November 24, 2012.
Two-year-old Katrice went missing in 1981 while shopping with her mother in Germany, where her father Richard Lee, from Hartlepool, was stationed with the Army. Despite international appeals she has never been found.
Loading article content
Wright, of Hillside Court, Spennymoor, County Durham, was granted special measures to appear at Newton Aycliffe Magistrates Court by video link today (Wednesday, February 27) due to mental health problems.
It followed the adjournment of three previous court hearings after the 33-year-old was deemed unfit to attend.
Wright, who was recently discharged from hospital, pleaded guilty to harassment but the exact details of her actions will not be revealed until March 19, when she will be sentenced at the same court over video link.
Jane Scott, mitigating, said the media interest in the case had put Wright under immense pressure.
“She is not medically fit to withstand the process of attending court in person,” she added.
District Judge Martin Walker said he felt it was appropriate to step away from the normal court procedure, given the advice of medical experts.
“I am satisfied it is right in the interest of justice she continues to appear by video link,” he added.
More Crime News
- Convicted child sex offender warned facing "significant sentence" after abusing eight people from same village.
- County Durham men among trio to go before Kent crown court for violent disorder
- "Sextortion" - webcam blackmail warning by police
- Four arrested after car stopped in Bishop Auckland
- Darlington assault victim left brain damaged and disfigured - but attacker will serve just a year in jail
- Convicted paedophile, 73, goes on trial for historic sexual abuse of two girls
- Teesdale and Weardale motorists warned against tricksters
- 30 years - drugs gang jailed for cocaine and cannabis operation
- Paranoid binge drinker jailed after arming himself with knives in Stokesley street row
- Man imprisoned for "cruel and callous" internet stalking of schoolgirls