A FOOTBALL club has secured £15,000 from a council community fund to improve facilities and playing opportunities.
Richmond Town FC was invited to an evening with Richmond Town Council on Saturday, February 16 to celebrate its previous successful year - bringing along its silverware.
Richmondshire District Council recently allocated the club £15,000 from a community fund to help with its expansion project.
Loading article content
Richmond Town councillor Russell Lord said: “The club helps school sport and has around 300 kids playing at the moment so it is a big part of the community.
“There are possibilities of new fields becoming available for the ever-expanding club to use – one has a barn with the possibility to convert into a building suitable for use – it is sounding positive.”
Club chairman Stephen Andrews said: “We want to say how grateful we are to Richmond Town Council and the Mayor for hosting the evening and for giving us the opportunity to celebrate with them.
The project will provide a secure playing, social and changing area for the football club, which now has 16 junior teams and three senior teams, all currently playing at a variety of venues in the town and surrounding villages.
A central venue will allowed a more focussed approach to coaching and playing for the younger teams, and facilities of a high specification for senior teams to compete at a higher level.
Mr Andrews added: “We are looking forward to continuing the success for the community project and we hope the wider community can share our success in the future.”
More Richmond & The Dales News
- Guide to events marking 100 years since the Battle of the Somme
- Emergency services to stage open day
- Pupils grill candidates for new teaching posts
- Richmond MP wanted to become a Jedi knight
- Guide to going to Kynren with opening night just days away
- New leader for national park authority
- Man arrested as emergency crews tackle fire at Richmond block of flats
- How the North-East and North Yorkshire voted in the EU referendum
- Farage declares June 23 'our independence day' after Leave victory
- Live: Britain to leave the EU after historic vote - what now?