A FOOTBALL club has secured £15,000 from a council community fund to improve facilities and playing opportunities.
Richmond Town FC was invited to an evening with Richmond Town Council on Saturday, February 16 to celebrate its previous successful year - bringing along its silverware.
Richmondshire District Council recently allocated the club £15,000 from a community fund to help with its expansion project.
Loading article content
Richmond Town councillor Russell Lord said: “The club helps school sport and has around 300 kids playing at the moment so it is a big part of the community.
“There are possibilities of new fields becoming available for the ever-expanding club to use – one has a barn with the possibility to convert into a building suitable for use – it is sounding positive.”
Club chairman Stephen Andrews said: “We want to say how grateful we are to Richmond Town Council and the Mayor for hosting the evening and for giving us the opportunity to celebrate with them.
The project will provide a secure playing, social and changing area for the football club, which now has 16 junior teams and three senior teams, all currently playing at a variety of venues in the town and surrounding villages.
A central venue will allowed a more focussed approach to coaching and playing for the younger teams, and facilities of a high specification for senior teams to compete at a higher level.
Mr Andrews added: “We are looking forward to continuing the success for the community project and we hope the wider community can share our success in the future.”
More Richmond & The Dales News
- School celebrates boys ski team success
- Festival that celebrates the joys of the Yorkshire Dales
- Jack-knifed lorry on A1 at Catterick caused long delays for rush hour commuters - road reopened
- Restaurant Review: The Kings Head, Richmond
- Museum to feature on BBC programme searching for identity of unknown WWI soldier
- Dales bus route made famous by 'slow TV' documentary is under threat of being axed
- Moors museum makes cry for help
- Youngsters raise cash for disadvantaged children with numeracy skills day
- Dales youngsters are Rotary challenge winners for second year
- Bookshop wins award for retail excellence