For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Thief steals hundreds of pounds from pensioner in Bishop Auckland cafe
A PENSIONER was left shaken after a thief stole hundreds of pounds from her minutes after she had withdrawnit from the bank.
The 79-year-old walked about 100 metres from Santander, on Newgate Street, Bishop Auckland, to the Rio Bar Cafe, on Tenters Street, when was approached by a woman who helped her through the door and then followed her inside.
The stranger stood near her inside the café and when the victim reached for her purse, she felt a tug on her bag.
The unknown woman then left and it was shortly afterwards when the pensioner sat down at a table she noticed the envelope containing the cash had gone.
Cafe staff said the woman stood very close to her victim, appeared to look at the menu, then left very quickly.
The suspect is described as 30 to 40-years-old, white but with a dark complexion and short dark hair. She was wearing a dark jacket.
The incident happened at about 11.30am on Tuesday, February 26.
PC Sam Stevens, of Durham Police, said: “The victim was left in a very bad state when she realised what had happened.
"We are hoping there may be other customers who might have seen this incident, even if they didn't realise at the time what was happening.”
Witnesses should call PC Stevens on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800-555-111.
More Crime News
- Newly released prisoner stole because he had no money
- Hartlepool woman guilty of sending abusive Facebook messages claiming vicar was a paedophile
- Argument led to damaged car
- Shildon father turned up at ex-girlfriend's house with hunting knife, court heard
- Darlington teenager in court for multiple driving offences
- Cars damaged as vandals go on spree
- Teen gets 18 months for third burglary
- Jail sentence for heroin-addicted Redcar shoplifter
- Man slashed girlfriend's hand with a knife after "mad half hour"
- Garden centre thief with drink problem spared jail for £3k thefts
Comments are closed on this article.