POLICE are appealing for information after a suspicious incident in which a man approached a schoolboy on a bus.
The 12-year-old boy was on a Go Northeast bus travelling through Shiney Row, near Chester-le-Street, on Monday afternoon when he was approached by a man who was thought to be in his 30s.
The man told the boy he was a relative and asked the boy to go with him. The boy refused and got off the bus, while the man continued with his journey towards Heworth.
Loading article content
Police say the man had got on the bus at the Dubmire stop in Fencehouses and are now asking for other passengers to contact them.
The incident happened at around 3.30pm and the man is described as having short dark hair and a beard. He was wearing a bulky camouflage jacket and trousers.
Detective Inspector Mark Ord said: "An investigation is underway into this incident and we would like to hear from anyone who was on the bus at the time, or who recognises his description.
"At this stage we are keeping an open mind and we need to trace this man to establish exactly what happened.
"I would also like to praise the actions of this boy who acted very sensibly by refusing to go with the man and then telling his parents about the incident".
Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 ext 69191 or ring Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
More Crime News
- Claudia Lawrence mystery - double killer Christopher Halliwell linked to disappearance
- Victims' relief as former school caretaker Peter Ryal jailed for child sex crimes
- Pensioner found with facial injuries on grassed area in Middlesbrough
- VIDEO EXCLUSIVE: Armed bank robbers captured on CCTV during terrifying raid on Horden bank as brave officer gives chase
- Prison officer jailed over lesbian affair with inmate at HMP Low Newton
- Five in court over alleged conspiracy to supply heroin in County Durham
- Three arrested after lunchtime brawl in city centre
- Man taunted by photo of girlfriend and love rival ended up in street fight bloodbath
- Man, 28, arrested after 15-year-old girl raped on Stockton cycle path
- Corrosive liquid thrown on vehicles in Newton Aycliffe and tyres slashed in spate of vandalism
More Chester-le-Street News
- Traffic alert: A1(M) reopens after earlier accident
- Award recognises hard work to improve town
- House and garage badly damaged in fire
- Friday, September 23, 2016: Traffic updates from the region's roads
- Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once: 'Allo 'Allo is coming to Chester-le-Street
- Lorry crash causes seven mile tailbacks on A19 during morning rush hour
- Awards honour those working to reduce re-offending
- Sports Direct to hold independent review into working practices and corporate governance
- Listed: The 405 DLI heroes who gave their lives 100 years ago today on the regiment's bloodiest day at the Somme
- 10,000 homes without power as thunderstorms batter region