For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Police appeal after "suspicious incident" on bus in Shiney Row, near Chester-le-Street
POLICE are appealing for information after a suspicious incident in which a man approached a schoolboy on a bus.
The 12-year-old boy was on a Go Northeast bus travelling through Shiney Row, near Chester-le-Street, on Monday afternoon when he was approached by a man who was thought to be in his 30s.
The man told the boy he was a relative and asked the boy to go with him. The boy refused and got off the bus, while the man continued with his journey towards Heworth.
Police say the man had got on the bus at the Dubmire stop in Fencehouses and are now asking for other passengers to contact them.
The incident happened at around 3.30pm and the man is described as having short dark hair and a beard. He was wearing a bulky camouflage jacket and trousers.
Detective Inspector Mark Ord said: "An investigation is underway into this incident and we would like to hear from anyone who was on the bus at the time, or who recognises his description.
"At this stage we are keeping an open mind and we need to trace this man to establish exactly what happened.
"I would also like to praise the actions of this boy who acted very sensibly by refusing to go with the man and then telling his parents about the incident".
Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 ext 69191 or ring Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
More Crime News
- Scheme to help women stealing food to feed families declared a success
- Knifepoint robbery at Sainsbury's in Redcar
- Two Cleveland Police dogs to be destroyed following attacks
- Northumbria Police may have wrongly classified rape cases as "no crime", it is revealed
- Police appeal after man tries to get 16-year-old girl into car
- Hundreds of police staff investigated over misuse of social media
- Hartlepool man jailed after causing life-threatening injury to baby
- Five years jail for fraudster who fleeced wealthy divorcee
- Appeal after ancient armour stolen from church
- Twelve arrested and stolen property and drugs seized in raids
More Chester-le-Street News
- Student gets A grade despite bus crash trauma
- Chester-le-Street arts project gets funding to put the town in the picture
- Late night robbery victim suffers constant nightmares at ordeal at hands of young mugger
- Charity beer festival helps dementia sufferers
- Donation invite to Chester-le-Street good causes
- Thief takes 93-year-old's purse in Chester-le-Street shop
- Young couple call for road safety action after walking away from dramatic crash
- Commissioner joins in the fun at the Market Place
- Post office to close for revamp
- Books donation to help South African youngsters
Comments are closed on this article.