POLICE are appealing for information after a suspicious incident in which a man approached a schoolboy on a bus.
The 12-year-old boy was on a Go Northeast bus travelling through Shiney Row, near Chester-le-Street, on Monday afternoon when he was approached by a man who was thought to be in his 30s.
The man told the boy he was a relative and asked the boy to go with him. The boy refused and got off the bus, while the man continued with his journey towards Heworth.
Police say the man had got on the bus at the Dubmire stop in Fencehouses and are now asking for other passengers to contact them.
The incident happened at around 3.30pm and the man is described as having short dark hair and a beard. He was wearing a bulky camouflage jacket and trousers.
Detective Inspector Mark Ord said: "An investigation is underway into this incident and we would like to hear from anyone who was on the bus at the time, or who recognises his description.
"At this stage we are keeping an open mind and we need to trace this man to establish exactly what happened.
"I would also like to praise the actions of this boy who acted very sensibly by refusing to go with the man and then telling his parents about the incident".
Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 ext 69191 or ring Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
More Crime News
- New special constables to be unveiled in Durham this month
- Police forces team up to crackdown on rural crime
- Man charged with murder in Willington as police name victim
- Overturned van on A66 had been involved in high speed chase, police believe
- Residents speak of shock after man's body found in Willington
- International drugs gang jailed after £55m haul seized from North Yorkshire warehouse
- Inmate hospitalised after unrest at Holme House Prison, Stockton
- Prison breakout accused had previous conviction for escaping custody
- Student admits making explosive following Newcastle University bomb scare
- Arrests and vehicle seizures as seven northern forces team up for Operation Checkpoint
More Chester-le-Street News
- Exhibition looks at war's impact on Pelton folk
- Charity event to celebrate end of girl's chemotherapy treatment
- Van driver guilty of injuring woman as it is revealed Shotton Colliery triple death crash motorist was in accident two weeks before fatal collision
- Woman seriously hurt as young drivers "raced through village streets", court hears
- Pharmacy staff's Great North Run charity tonic
- Heroin substitute pills found in prison visitor's pocket
- Dog walkers gear up for annual hospice sponsored walk
- Brother and sister walk free from court despite fleecing dementia pensioner out of £2,520
- Big delays near motorway junction after has main collapse
- Gas main collapse causes traffic chaos