For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Police appeal after "suspicious incident" on bus in Shiney Row, near Chester-le-Street
POLICE are appealing for information after a suspicious incident in which a man approached a schoolboy on a bus.
The 12-year-old boy was on a Go Northeast bus travelling through Shiney Row, near Chester-le-Street, on Monday afternoon when he was approached by a man who was thought to be in his 30s.
The man told the boy he was a relative and asked the boy to go with him. The boy refused and got off the bus, while the man continued with his journey towards Heworth.
Police say the man had got on the bus at the Dubmire stop in Fencehouses and are now asking for other passengers to contact them.
The incident happened at around 3.30pm and the man is described as having short dark hair and a beard. He was wearing a bulky camouflage jacket and trousers.
Detective Inspector Mark Ord said: "An investigation is underway into this incident and we would like to hear from anyone who was on the bus at the time, or who recognises his description.
"At this stage we are keeping an open mind and we need to trace this man to establish exactly what happened.
"I would also like to praise the actions of this boy who acted very sensibly by refusing to go with the man and then telling his parents about the incident".
Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 ext 69191 or ring Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
More Crime News
- Man cleared of killing Pc Keith Blakelock gives first interview since trial verdict
- Benefits cheat who was filmed playing for his local cricket team set to lose house so he can repay the cash
- Judge issues warning to 'pain relief'' cannabis smokers
- Man arrested on suspicion of murder following house fire in Gateshead
- Vandals attack North Yorkshire school
- UPDATED 1PM: Man appears in court accused of chip shop owner's murder
- Police target suspected drug dealers in early morning raids on Middlesbrough estate
- Knifeman jailed for a year
- Durham pub closed following mass brawl
- Man arrested after police raid uncovers 102 cannabis plants in Shildon house
More Chester-le-Street News
- Parishioners begging vicars for food - Bishop of Durham
- Council agrees closure of five care homes
- 'Amazing, appalling, shocking' - the reality of Foodbank Britain
- 463% rise in North-East foodbank users in just 12 months
- Woman jailed for six months for £32,000 benefit fraud
- Witton Gilbert solicitor gears up for cycle ride in aid of cancer charity
- Youngsters help keep Waldridge tidy
- Jewellery-making course
- Art group to stage spring show
- Community champions honoured across County Durham
Comments are closed on this article.