POLICE are appealing for information after a suspicious incident in which a man approached a schoolboy on a bus.
The 12-year-old boy was on a Go Northeast bus travelling through Shiney Row, near Chester-le-Street, on Monday afternoon when he was approached by a man who was thought to be in his 30s.
The man told the boy he was a relative and asked the boy to go with him. The boy refused and got off the bus, while the man continued with his journey towards Heworth.
Loading article content
Police say the man had got on the bus at the Dubmire stop in Fencehouses and are now asking for other passengers to contact them.
The incident happened at around 3.30pm and the man is described as having short dark hair and a beard. He was wearing a bulky camouflage jacket and trousers.
Detective Inspector Mark Ord said: "An investigation is underway into this incident and we would like to hear from anyone who was on the bus at the time, or who recognises his description.
"At this stage we are keeping an open mind and we need to trace this man to establish exactly what happened.
"I would also like to praise the actions of this boy who acted very sensibly by refusing to go with the man and then telling his parents about the incident".
Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 ext 69191 or ring Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
More Crime News
- Ex-wife of rapist police officer calls for better protection for domestic violence victims going through divorce
- Man in hospital after serious assault - police hunt two suspects
- Takeaway driver robbed by knifeman
- Police joined by 39 volunteers on rural crime operation
- Sex offender flouted restrictive order while acting as dj at charity fun day
- Cleveland Police leads operation across the North to disrupt travelling criminals
- Taxi driver, 21, robbed at knifepoint for cash and mobile phone
- Police operation targets rogue traders
- Warning over door-to-door fish sellers
- Police recruiting volunteers to solve neighbourhood disputes
More Chester-le-Street News
- Do you recognise these suspects caught on CCTV?
- Search is on for Chester-le-Street's best garden displays
- Repeat burglar stole from grandmother as she watched TV
- Rod Stewart's daughter to be support act when star plays County Durham show
- Man who failed to comply with dumped waste investigation ordered to cough up £450
- Live Updates: Broken down bus and lorry cause delays for motorists on A66 and A167
- Sunderland stars launch fans' campaign against Durham County Cricket Club punishment
- Scheme will help budding business people get started
- Evening events at open air museum
- Top tribute acts lined up for Chester-le-Street Fake Festival