POLICE are appealing for information after a suspicious incident in which a man approached a schoolboy on a bus.
The 12-year-old boy was on a Go Northeast bus travelling through Shiney Row, near Chester-le-Street, on Monday afternoon when he was approached by a man who was thought to be in his 30s.
The man told the boy he was a relative and asked the boy to go with him. The boy refused and got off the bus, while the man continued with his journey towards Heworth.
Police say the man had got on the bus at the Dubmire stop in Fencehouses and are now asking for other passengers to contact them.
The incident happened at around 3.30pm and the man is described as having short dark hair and a beard. He was wearing a bulky camouflage jacket and trousers.
Detective Inspector Mark Ord said: "An investigation is underway into this incident and we would like to hear from anyone who was on the bus at the time, or who recognises his description.
"At this stage we are keeping an open mind and we need to trace this man to establish exactly what happened.
"I would also like to praise the actions of this boy who acted very sensibly by refusing to go with the man and then telling his parents about the incident".
Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 ext 69191 or ring Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
More Crime News
- Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death outside Wearside bar
- Police name man found dead in bin store
- Man beaten with car tyre lever tells of horrific attack at hands of paranoid schizophrenic
- Thieves steal £65,000 of chocolate and fudge
- Suspended sentence for teaching assistant cleared of sex with pupil
- Schizophrenic man battered friend with car tyre lever in bloody rampage
- Two arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving following three car collision
- Women: think before you drink, say police
- Man arrested on suspicion of Claudia Lawrence murder is released from bail
- Six years for killer who stabbed friend in street fight
More Chester-le-Street News
- Final wishes of fallen soldiers available online
- Trout return to stream
- Brightening life for former military personnel
- Commissioners take misconduct complaint against suspended sentence judge to next level
- Young football player shot in head by airgun
- Brave Ava's birthday bash is a smash hit
- Santa kick starts Christmas at Beamish
- Palace honour for Trooping The Colour soldier
- Safer school journeys for pupils
- Driver dies after minor collision