For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Chester-le-Street Sea Cadets awarded for helping elderly man after fall
2:11pm Monday 25th February 2013 in News
A GROUP of sea cadets have been awarded Durham County Council’s highest honour for helping an elderly man after a fall.
The Chester-le-Street Sea Cadets, who were preparing for a five-a-side football match, were and on the way to a training session when they came across an 82-year-old man who had collapsed in the street.
The youngsters leapt into action, administering first aid before calling for an ambulance.
They stayed with the man and used their own coats to keep him warm, reassuring him until paramedics arrived.
Ensuring the man’s two granddaughters, who were with him at the time, were safe, the cadets then went to every possible route to ensure the ambulance was met.
County council chairman Councillor Linda Marshall awarded the youngsters with the Chairman’s Medal, honouring them for their community spirit and using their skills to come to the aid of someone in need.
In awarding the medal to Sub Lieutenant Steve Grainger, Councillor Marshall said: “These sea cadets deserve recognition.
“I can tell you that only a select few have managed to obtain the Chairman’s Medal and it gives me immense pleasure to tell you that you are being recognised for service to young people and the community of Chester-le-Street and County Durham.”
More Chester-le-Street News
- Bus firms' fury as Durham council lets taxis onto bus lanes
- Students help Chester-le-Street wise up to the world of computers
- "Devoted and caring wife" admits attempted murder of disabled husband
- Chester-le-Street charity shop seeks unwanted furniture
- Chester-le-Street student cycles to raise money for Durham's hospice
- Driver spared prison for accident that cost pedestrian his life
- Arts hub in Chester-le-Street hosts display of women's artists
- Dementia cafe opens its doors
- Lecture on Irish archaeology
- Stone throwing probe in Chester-le-Street
Comments are closed on this article.