For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Chester-le-Street Sea Cadets awarded for helping elderly man after fall
Updated 3:28pm Monday 25th February 2013 in News
A GROUP of sea cadets have been awarded Durham County Council’s highest honour for helping an elderly man after a fall.
The Chester-le-Street Sea Cadets, who were preparing for a five-a-side football match, were and on the way to a training session when they came across an 82-year-old man who had collapsed in the street.
The youngsters leapt into action, administering first aid before calling for an ambulance.
They stayed with the man and used their own coats to keep him warm, reassuring him until paramedics arrived.
Ensuring the man’s two granddaughters, who were with him at the time, were safe, the cadets then went to every possible route to ensure the ambulance was met.
County council chairman Councillor Linda Marshall awarded the youngsters with the Chairman’s Medal, honouring them for their community spirit and using their skills to come to the aid of someone in need.
In awarding the medal to Sub Lieutenant Steve Grainger, Councillor Marshall said: “These sea cadets deserve recognition.
“I can tell you that only a select few have managed to obtain the Chairman’s Medal and it gives me immense pleasure to tell you that you are being recognised for service to young people and the community of Chester-le-Street and County Durham.”
More Chester-le-Street News
- Pupils hit the right notes for charity
- Two conmen jailed after elderly Chester-le-Street woman is fleeced of thousands of pounds
- Pool reopens for summer fun
- Delays ahead as work starts on improvements to busy roads
- Durham's police chief unveils new plan in fight against bilking
- Youngsters make garden lovely for elderly residents
- School closure plan agreed by council cabinet
- Bloom judges cast an eye over rival bids
- Village festival hailed a big success
- Inspector appointed to lead hearing into County Durham Plan
Comments are closed on this article.