For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Chester-le-Street Sea Cadets awarded for helping elderly man after fall
Updated 3:28pm Monday 25th February 2013 in News
A GROUP of sea cadets have been awarded Durham County Council’s highest honour for helping an elderly man after a fall.
The Chester-le-Street Sea Cadets, who were preparing for a five-a-side football match, were and on the way to a training session when they came across an 82-year-old man who had collapsed in the street.
The youngsters leapt into action, administering first aid before calling for an ambulance.
They stayed with the man and used their own coats to keep him warm, reassuring him until paramedics arrived.
Ensuring the man’s two granddaughters, who were with him at the time, were safe, the cadets then went to every possible route to ensure the ambulance was met.
County council chairman Councillor Linda Marshall awarded the youngsters with the Chairman’s Medal, honouring them for their community spirit and using their skills to come to the aid of someone in need.
In awarding the medal to Sub Lieutenant Steve Grainger, Councillor Marshall said: “These sea cadets deserve recognition.
“I can tell you that only a select few have managed to obtain the Chairman’s Medal and it gives me immense pleasure to tell you that you are being recognised for service to young people and the community of Chester-le-Street and County Durham.”
More Chester-le-Street News
- Pregnant mother-of-two jailed after trying to smuggle drugs into prison
- Student gets A grade despite bus crash trauma
- Chester-le-Street arts project gets funding to put the town in the picture
- Late night robbery victim suffers constant nightmares at ordeal at hands of young mugger
- Charity beer festival helps dementia sufferers
- Donation invite to Chester-le-Street good causes
- Thief takes 93-year-old's purse in Chester-le-Street shop
- Young couple call for road safety action after walking away from dramatic crash
- Commissioner joins in the fun at the Market Place
- Post office to close for revamp
Comments are closed on this article.