A MAN has died after being struck by a lorry just moments after his car was involved in an accident with another heavy goods vehicle.
The A19 was closed for about 10 hours after the accidents, near the Kirkby Sigston junction on the southbound carriageway, and then the junction for Over Silton on the same carriageway.
The man was pronounced dead later the same day but police are not yet in a position to identify him.
The man was driving a black Ford Focus, and as a result of the first accident between the car and a lorry, his car left the road.
Although the lorry driver did not stop he has been identified.
The second crash happened when another heavy goods vehicle hit the man, who was then standing in the road.
Traffic Sergeant Richard Parsons said: “I am asking for anyone who was on this stretch of the A19 around the time of the collision to come forward and contact the police if they have not already done so.”
Anyone who can help with this investigation is asked to contact North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 2 and ask for Richard Parsons. Alternatively information can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
More Transport News
- Van carrying windows and conservatory parts crashes on A69
- Shortlist of firms bidding to run region's rail services branded as "same old greedy companies"
- North-East "being ignored" in new train plans, says MP
- Grand Central 'most trustworthy' says survey
- Fire engulfs prison van on A19 - one lane closed
- Charter calls for Government to tackle North-South rail divide
- East Coast success means line should not be re-privatised, says union
- Police bid to save lives by targeting North-East railway trespass hot-spots
- Mobile speed camera locations this week in North Yorkshire (July 30 - August 5)
- Protests over rail franchise consultation
More Thirsk News
- Head of youth charity named community champion
- Shoplifter who pulled knife on Lidl boss jailed for 12 months
- Grandfather cleared of historic abuse charge
- Five arrested over drunken fight on train
- Thirsk parent and toddler group created after £46k grant windfall
- Huge tailbacks on A19 following two-vehicle crash
- Police officer's devastation over alleged farm sex attack
- Race-goers urged to dress to impress
- Teenager wins a spot in semi-final of TV dance competition with group Dance Illusion.
- Great Taste Awards help celebrate 25 years