A MAN who fled a burning house this morning has been arrested on suspicion of arson.
The 37-year-old suspect was one of two men who escaped the blaze at Chaytor Road, Bridgehill, near Consett, County Durham, at 1.35am.
A woman and children who live at the same address had been staying elsewhere at the time.
Loading article content
Ten firefighters from Consett station, five from high Handenhold and two with an aerial ladder platform from Durham City arrived at the scene and were there for about five-and-a-half hours.
The man, who was described as the occupier of the house, was arrested nearby. No-one was hurt in the incident.
County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service group Group manager Tony John said: “The first-floor bedroom and the roof void were well alight.
“A family live at the house but the woman with the children had been staying elsewhere.
“The male occupier and a male friend were in the property at the time and they managed to get out unhurt.”
A Durham Police spokesman said: "We can confirm a 37-year-old man has been arrested in relation to a house fire in Chaytor Road, Consett which broke out in the early hours of this morning.
"The suspect was arrested on suspicion of arson with intent to endanger life and was detained near to the scene of the blaze.
“He has since been taken to Durham city police station where he is being questioned.
"A joint investigation is under way involving police and County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service."
Chaytor Road was closed while the incident was ongoing. Go North East buses said its 46 service was diverted but was back to normal by about 8.20am when the road was reopened.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Consett police on 101.
More Consett News
- Fire crews tackle huge barn fire where 300 tonnes of baled hay is alight
- Consett man Stephen Page, dubbed 'monster' by mother of one of his victims, given 30-year prison sentence
- Consett Police appeal for witnesses after suspected arson attack
- Have I Got News For You's cheeky comment as Consett referee Mark Clattenburg blows time on Premier League career
- Award honour for community environmental group
- Cutting it fine for charity
- Consett: Driver flees after crashing and flipping car on its roof
- Stabbed 16 times: Fitness enthusiast vows to repay medics who saved him after gym attack
- Homes have been found for 13 abandoned guinea pigs
- Consett: Virtual reality centre to help children with autism overcome fears and phobias
More Crime News
- Teenage boy found guilty of raping two girls
- Five boys jailed for vicious mugging in city-centre car park
- Teenage boy on trial accused of raping two girls
- Jury unable to reach verdicts in trial of University Challenge contestant accused of rape
- Grangetown: Driver sought after police pursuit
- Hartlepool: 5 pensioners accused of sexually abusing young boys in public toilets
- Darlington man who was part of York network supplying cocaine and heroin to 'drugs convenience store' is brought to justice
- Middlesbrough: Two men grab woman by hair and rob her in park
- Two arrested after mini digger stolen from Ripon farm
- County Durham is ‘femicide capital’