A MAN who fled a burning house this morning has been arrested on suspicion of arson.
The 37-year-old suspect was one of two men who escaped the blaze at Chaytor Road, Bridgehill, near Consett, County Durham, at 1.35am.
A woman and children who live at the same address had been staying elsewhere at the time.
Loading article content
Ten firefighters from Consett station, five from high Handenhold and two with an aerial ladder platform from Durham City arrived at the scene and were there for about five-and-a-half hours.
The man, who was described as the occupier of the house, was arrested nearby. No-one was hurt in the incident.
County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service group Group manager Tony John said: “The first-floor bedroom and the roof void were well alight.
“A family live at the house but the woman with the children had been staying elsewhere.
“The male occupier and a male friend were in the property at the time and they managed to get out unhurt.”
A Durham Police spokesman said: "We can confirm a 37-year-old man has been arrested in relation to a house fire in Chaytor Road, Consett which broke out in the early hours of this morning.
"The suspect was arrested on suspicion of arson with intent to endanger life and was detained near to the scene of the blaze.
“He has since been taken to Durham city police station where he is being questioned.
"A joint investigation is under way involving police and County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service."
Chaytor Road was closed while the incident was ongoing. Go North East buses said its 46 service was diverted but was back to normal by about 8.20am when the road was reopened.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Consett police on 101.
More Consett News
- Pet cat put down after being shot with air rifle
- Emmerdale 'star' Cooper the one-eyed bulldog dies suddenly
- Cricketing pair announce charity walking challenge
- 'Disappointment' constituency Labour Party members will get no say in all-women candidate selection process
- Drivers asked to pay for parking at Derwent Reservoir
- Woman ordered to compensate police officer after assaulting her at Bishop Auckland Police Station
- North West Durham Labour MP Pat Glass confirms she will not be seeking re-election in June
- Fundraising plans for new community facility revealed
- Firm welcomes first female brickie
- ‘Someone will be killed on our road,’ warn residents
More Crime News
- More than 500 speeding drivers caught in week-long crackdown
- Soldier who slit throat of ex-girlfriend Alice Ruggles jailed for 22 years
- Eight years for stalker who sent fake bomb threats from ex-girlfriend to airports
- Do you recognise these suspects caught on CCTV?
- Stockton paedophile who raped young girl jailed for 17 years
- 'I'll put your manhood in a box' - stalking trial is told of bizarre e-mail threats
- Man charged with dangerous driving after police chase reaches speeds of 120mph
- Bouncer cleared for punching drinker who threatened to 'stab them up' at Darlington's Boot and Shoe pub
- Worker at UPS depot admits stealing Pandora jewellery from parcels
- Soldier accused of murdering former girlfriend ‘spat in ex’s face in street’, court told