A MAN who fled a burning house this morning has been arrested on suspicion of arson.
The 37-year-old suspect was one of two men who escaped the blaze at Chaytor Road, Bridgehill, near Consett, County Durham, at 1.35am.
A woman and children who live at the same address had been staying elsewhere at the time.
Loading article content
Ten firefighters from Consett station, five from high Handenhold and two with an aerial ladder platform from Durham City arrived at the scene and were there for about five-and-a-half hours.
The man, who was described as the occupier of the house, was arrested nearby. No-one was hurt in the incident.
County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service group Group manager Tony John said: “The first-floor bedroom and the roof void were well alight.
“A family live at the house but the woman with the children had been staying elsewhere.
“The male occupier and a male friend were in the property at the time and they managed to get out unhurt.”
A Durham Police spokesman said: "We can confirm a 37-year-old man has been arrested in relation to a house fire in Chaytor Road, Consett which broke out in the early hours of this morning.
"The suspect was arrested on suspicion of arson with intent to endanger life and was detained near to the scene of the blaze.
“He has since been taken to Durham city police station where he is being questioned.
"A joint investigation is under way involving police and County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service."
Chaytor Road was closed while the incident was ongoing. Go North East buses said its 46 service was diverted but was back to normal by about 8.20am when the road was reopened.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Consett police on 101.
More Consett News
- Show success for aspiring actress
- 'Remarkable' that drivers escaped crash with only minor injuries, police say
- Try our mock SATs Key Stage 1 and 2 tests - could you pass?
- Snowfall and bitterly cold winds across region... and it's almost May
- Snap up some fantastic prizes in the Winning Smile photo competition
- Defibrillators stored at Tesco in Consett
- Decision on Lanchester plan due in summer
- Indian takeway windows smashed
- Landmark for Consett youth charity
- Run Geordie Run sets off for European challenge
More Crime News
- Convicted child sex offender warned facing "significant sentence" after abusing eight people from same village.
- County Durham men among trio to go before Kent crown court for violent disorder
- "Sextortion" - webcam blackmail warning by police
- Four arrested after car stopped in Bishop Auckland
- Darlington assault victim left brain damaged and disfigured - but attacker will serve just a year in jail
- Convicted paedophile, 73, goes on trial for historic sexual abuse of two girls
- Teesdale and Weardale motorists warned against tricksters
- 30 years - drugs gang jailed for cocaine and cannabis operation
- Paranoid binge drinker jailed after arming himself with knives in Stokesley street row
- Man imprisoned for "cruel and callous" internet stalking of schoolgirls