A BANNED driver failed to disclose his disqualification when applying successfully to be a car salesman.
Haider Akbar, 20, did not mention his 12 month driving ban when applying for a car sales assistant job with RMB Autos in April last year.
Akbar was offered the job and started work, but was subsequently suspended when he failed to provide promised references, prosecutor Sharon Elves told Teesside Crown Court.
Loading article content
The firm eventually found out about his disqualification and dismissed him, she said.
Ms Elves said it had been made clear the job involved some driving. No money had been paid to him during the course of his short employment.
Akbar, of Heythorp Drive, Middlesbrough, who admitted fraud and driving while disqualified, was arrested and said he was just trying to support his mother and sister.
His barrister Alistair Reid claimed Akbar did not realise he might have to drive for the job.
But The Recorder of Middlesbrough, Judge Simon Bourne-Arton replied: “He can't be that stupid can he?”
Akbar, for whom three character references were handed to the judge, also falsely told police the job application had been before his driving ban.
After being convicted in February last year of dangerous driving, the defendant had been given a 12 month suspended sentence and a year long ban.
Judge Bourne-Arton said he could just avoid jailing Akbar and gave him a further four month jail sentence, suspended for 18 months.
He will also have to do 100 hours unpaid work and observe a three month long night-time curfew.
More Crime News
- Eleven arrests in string of drug raids across the region
- Two Crook men deny joint truck theft allegation
- Man in court over a wish and a prayer
- Man and woman charged with attempted robbery at Darlington corner shop
- Young churchgoer alleged to have been abused by clergyman thought 'that's what vicars do', court told
- Police commissioner calls on residents to help draft strategic plan for Cleveland
- Former Archdeacon of Auckland Granville Gibson denies sexually abusing boys and young men
- Do you recognise this woman suspected of Home Bargains theft?
- Two pet dogs killed in arson attack in Middlesbrough
- Ron Hogg announces his Police and Crime Plan following re-election
More Middlesbrough News
- Man suffers 'life-changing' injuries following crash on A690
- WATCH: Hard-hitting video shows shocking footage of people trespassing on railway tracks
- A66 reopens after accident involving lorry and car
- Campaign encourages local food for local people
- Drug officers find cannabis plants worth £113,000 after tip-off
- Two pet dogs and 20 pigeons killed in arson attack - images of fire devastation released
- Polynesian culture to take centre stage at museum
- Leading youth players battling for title at Middlesbrough Golf Club
- Police hunt man who made inappropriate comments to young girls then touched their hair and faces
- Students’ record label on track for success