A BANNED driver failed to disclose his disqualification when applying successfully to be a car salesman.
Haider Akbar, 20, did not mention his 12 month driving ban when applying for a car sales assistant job with RMB Autos in April last year.
Akbar was offered the job and started work, but was subsequently suspended when he failed to provide promised references, prosecutor Sharon Elves told Teesside Crown Court.
The firm eventually found out about his disqualification and dismissed him, she said.
Ms Elves said it had been made clear the job involved some driving. No money had been paid to him during the course of his short employment.
Akbar, of Heythorp Drive, Middlesbrough, who admitted fraud and driving while disqualified, was arrested and said he was just trying to support his mother and sister.
His barrister Alistair Reid claimed Akbar did not realise he might have to drive for the job.
But The Recorder of Middlesbrough, Judge Simon Bourne-Arton replied: “He can't be that stupid can he?”
Akbar, for whom three character references were handed to the judge, also falsely told police the job application had been before his driving ban.
After being convicted in February last year of dangerous driving, the defendant had been given a 12 month suspended sentence and a year long ban.
Judge Bourne-Arton said he could just avoid jailing Akbar and gave him a further four month jail sentence, suspended for 18 months.
He will also have to do 100 hours unpaid work and observe a three month long night-time curfew.
More Crime News
- Police appeal after young woman attacked in Newton Aycliffe
- Have you seen this man suspected of conning money out of elderly smokers?
- Police trained to spot paedophile tattoos and clothes
- Unmasked: Paedophile who worked in schools across region as children's counsellor
- Region's businesses urged to guard against online crime
- Police investigating Tipu Sultan's murder release new CCTV images of two suspects on a motorbike
- Man held over Claudia Lawrence case 'gives police new information'
- Police make arrest in connection with knifepoint robbery on 14-year-old boy
- Woman attacked by three men and cash stolen
- Eston hills ablaze again as Cleveland Fire Brigade reveals true cost of arson
More Middlesbrough News
- Middlesbrough mayoral candidate Andy Preston denies breaking election rules
- Jewellery chain hit by two burglaries is recognised as top business
- Missing Jade Sutton found safe and well, say Cleveland Police
- Appeal to find missing man seen this morning in distressed state
- Police close road after dramatic two-vehicle crash in Nunthorpe
- Dog attack man who sought revenge over £7 debt is spared jail
- Civic award for Market Cross Jewellers
- Birds of prey fly into shopping centre
- Urgent appeal to trace missing Aaron Sneddon
- Cleveland Police issue apology to family of Donna Keough missing for 17 years