A BANNED driver failed to disclose his disqualification when applying successfully to be a car salesman.
Haider Akbar, 20, did not mention his 12 month driving ban when applying for a car sales assistant job with RMB Autos in April last year.
Akbar was offered the job and started work, but was subsequently suspended when he failed to provide promised references, prosecutor Sharon Elves told Teesside Crown Court.
Loading article content
The firm eventually found out about his disqualification and dismissed him, she said.
Ms Elves said it had been made clear the job involved some driving. No money had been paid to him during the course of his short employment.
Akbar, of Heythorp Drive, Middlesbrough, who admitted fraud and driving while disqualified, was arrested and said he was just trying to support his mother and sister.
His barrister Alistair Reid claimed Akbar did not realise he might have to drive for the job.
But The Recorder of Middlesbrough, Judge Simon Bourne-Arton replied: “He can't be that stupid can he?”
Akbar, for whom three character references were handed to the judge, also falsely told police the job application had been before his driving ban.
After being convicted in February last year of dangerous driving, the defendant had been given a 12 month suspended sentence and a year long ban.
Judge Bourne-Arton said he could just avoid jailing Akbar and gave him a further four month jail sentence, suspended for 18 months.
He will also have to do 100 hours unpaid work and observe a three month long night-time curfew.
More Crime News
- Dog buried alive with nail through head - MP's anger at "abhorrent act"
- Breaking wind trial hears roofer also bared his bum to lad and showed his 'willy'
- State-of-the-art cars being stolen in 'two-in-one' burglaries across County Durham and Cleveland
- Modern slavery is not just an issue for cities, say North Yorkshire Police
- Two arrested and more than 18,000 suspected illicit cigarettes seized in dawn raids
- Pervert 'fought like pitbull' when caught by paedophile hunters Dark Justice trying to meet girl, 13
- Six arrested over stabbing death of Jodie Wilkinson, 27, in Newcastle
- "Serious concerns" raised about Cleveland Police's child protection
- Police arrest 13 - including in Houghton-le-Spring and Consett - in Anti-Slavery Day operation
- Judge considers imposing consecutive sentences on burglar who won't stop offending
More Middlesbrough News
- Bomb disposal team called to Teesport dock after reports of suspicious package
- Is this the most terrifying house on Teesside? Send us your haunted homes pictures in the run up to Halloween
- Middlesbrough nursery shines brightly in Ofsted inspection
- Police want to speak to hit-and-run driver after cyclist injured
- TV and film student receives prestigious bursary to help with studies
- Middlesbrough street robbers threaten victim with scissors but flee empty handed
- Middlesbrough landlord avoids jail over poisonous gas leak
- Ever wanted to be a firefighter? Durham and Darlington fire service launch new apprenticeships
- Thursday, October 20: Incidents on the region's roads
- Police called to restore order as tempers flare outside council meeting