A BANNED driver failed to disclose his disqualification when applying successfully to be a car salesman.
Haider Akbar, 20, did not mention his 12 month driving ban when applying for a car sales assistant job with RMB Autos in April last year.
Akbar was offered the job and started work, but was subsequently suspended when he failed to provide promised references, prosecutor Sharon Elves told Teesside Crown Court.
Loading article content
The firm eventually found out about his disqualification and dismissed him, she said.
Ms Elves said it had been made clear the job involved some driving. No money had been paid to him during the course of his short employment.
Akbar, of Heythorp Drive, Middlesbrough, who admitted fraud and driving while disqualified, was arrested and said he was just trying to support his mother and sister.
His barrister Alistair Reid claimed Akbar did not realise he might have to drive for the job.
But The Recorder of Middlesbrough, Judge Simon Bourne-Arton replied: “He can't be that stupid can he?”
Akbar, for whom three character references were handed to the judge, also falsely told police the job application had been before his driving ban.
After being convicted in February last year of dangerous driving, the defendant had been given a 12 month suspended sentence and a year long ban.
Judge Bourne-Arton said he could just avoid jailing Akbar and gave him a further four month jail sentence, suspended for 18 months.
He will also have to do 100 hours unpaid work and observe a three month long night-time curfew.
More Crime News
- Do you recognise these suspects caught on CCTV?
- Stockton paedophile who raped young girl jailed for 17 years
- 'I'll put your manhood in a box' - stalking trial is told of bizarre e-mail threats
- Man charged with dangerous driving after police chase reaches speeds of 120mph
- Bouncer cleared for punching drinker who threatened to 'stab them up' at Darlington's Boot and Shoe pub
- Worker at UPS depot admits stealing Pandora jewellery from parcels
- Soldier accused of murdering former girlfriend ‘spat in ex’s face in street’, court told
- CCTV appeal after toothbrush theft
- Man in court charged with murder of Craig Guy at The Beacon, Catterick Garrison
- Drivers have more chance of a crash in fine weather
More Middlesbrough News
- Boy, 6, in coma after being hit by car near Middlesbrough FC's Riverside stadium
- Shot in Iraq and then made redundant by steel plant, ex-soldier now serving up taste of Jamaica in Teesside
- VIDEO: RNLI come to rescue after dinghy overturns
- Boy, 6, suffers broken leg following A66 incident
- Chance to ride on a vintage bus as the 500 Group take to the roads
- Woman's shame after she is spared jail for £10,000 theft from autism charity
- Future of airport gives TV mayoral debate a lively start
- No late rail services for Middlesbrough and Sunderland's Riverside clash
- Bungling burglar asked householder for taxi so he could take away their stolen goods
- Football to be used to help tackle poor primary school attendence