A BANNED driver failed to disclose his disqualification when applying successfully to be a car salesman.
Haider Akbar, 20, did not mention his 12 month driving ban when applying for a car sales assistant job with RMB Autos in April last year.
Akbar was offered the job and started work, but was subsequently suspended when he failed to provide promised references, prosecutor Sharon Elves told Teesside Crown Court.
The firm eventually found out about his disqualification and dismissed him, she said.
Ms Elves said it had been made clear the job involved some driving. No money had been paid to him during the course of his short employment.
Akbar, of Heythorp Drive, Middlesbrough, who admitted fraud and driving while disqualified, was arrested and said he was just trying to support his mother and sister.
His barrister Alistair Reid claimed Akbar did not realise he might have to drive for the job.
But The Recorder of Middlesbrough, Judge Simon Bourne-Arton replied: “He can't be that stupid can he?”
Akbar, for whom three character references were handed to the judge, also falsely told police the job application had been before his driving ban.
After being convicted in February last year of dangerous driving, the defendant had been given a 12 month suspended sentence and a year long ban.
Judge Bourne-Arton said he could just avoid jailing Akbar and gave him a further four month jail sentence, suspended for 18 months.
He will also have to do 100 hours unpaid work and observe a three month long night-time curfew.
More Crime News
- Police arrest man after fresh dog attack, just weeks after his own arm was ripped off
- Force silent on racism inquiry
- Couple defrauded schools after failing to pay fees for child care at nurseries round the region
- Gun-toting robbers injure staff member in raid on North-East club
- Teenage girl raped in Tyneside churchyard
- Teenage girl raped in church grounds on North Tyneside
- Arrest made after sexual assault in Harrogate
- Police make second arrest after sex assault on girl, 12
- Man suffers ear injury after being bitten in attack in Newcastle
- Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson clocked speeding after filming in North Yorkshire
More Middlesbrough News
- Hat-trick of football writers give pre-match talk
- Work set to start on A66 resurfacing project
- New director appointed at mima
- Paul Daniels needs more than magic to find his way home
- Objection raised to proposed new Olympic standard velodrome in Middlesbrough
- First World War dead remembered at special service in Middlesbrough
- Children are being 'trafficked' across the region for sex
- Police appeal over suspicious Middlesbrough shop incident
- Youths attack 16 cars at traffic lights in Middlesbrough in single night
- Spine-tingling book launch at 'Haunted Teesside' venue