A HOODED robber struck a shop assistant on the head and threatened her with what he claimed was a knife in a botched robbery.
The raider struck at the Millennium Food and Wine shop, on Bishopthorpe Road, York, at about 12.40pm on Monday, February 18.
He threatened to harm a female member of staff with a knife that he claimed was in his bag and struck her on the head with his hand while he attempted to break into a till by smashing it onto the floor.
Loading article content
The would-be robber then left the shop empty-handed, making off on what appeared to be a mountain bike.
The shop assistant, who did not see a knife, suffered bruising to her head and was checked over at the scene by paramedics. She did not require hospital treatment.
The suspect was described as slim, about 5ft 6ins tall, aged in his late teens, with distinctive pale blue eyes.
He was wearing a three-quarter length royal blue rain jacket that was elasticated around the waist and with a thick black stripe across the shoulders. It had a blue hood and high collar that he used to cover his face.
He was also wearing dark tracksuit bottoms, dark grey gloves and was carrying a dark JD sports drawstring bag with three white stripes on it.
Acting Detective Inspector Fiona Wynne said: “This was a terrifying experience for the member of staff which has left her very shaken and deeply upset.”
Anyone with information is urged to contact police on 101, select option two and ask for CID. Alternatively call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555-111.
More Crime News
- Police release CCTV images of suspected North-East shoplifters
- Girl, 16, known to sex traffickers placed in secure accommodation for her own safety, judge rules
- Traffic cops turn rhyme fighters after stopping VW
- Convicted child sex offender warned facing "significant sentence" after abusing eight people from same village.
- County Durham men among trio to go before Kent crown court for violent disorder
- "Sextortion" - webcam blackmail warning by police
- Four arrested after car stopped in Bishop Auckland
- Darlington assault victim left brain damaged and disfigured - but attacker will serve just a year in jail
- Convicted paedophile, 73, goes on trial for historic sexual abuse of two girls
- Teesdale and Weardale motorists warned against tricksters
More York & Harrogate News
- Part at the Palace
- Tributes paid to "exceptionally talented" student pilots killed in North Yorkshire crash
- Ruby on the operating table after she tucks into rubber gloves for tea
- Body of woman found this morning on railway line at Copmanthorpe near York
- Try our mock SATs Key Stage 1 and 2 tests - could you pass?
- Thieves target ambulance at hospital
- Million pound fine after Yorkshire Water pollutes river with sewage
- Hiroshima survivor recalls her experience
- Snap up some fantastic prizes in the Winning Smile photo competition
- Delight as gallery chosen as one of the country's best