For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Robber strikes woman on head in shop raid
Updated 3:13pm Tuesday 19th February 2013 in News
A HOODED robber struck a shop assistant on the head and threatened her with what he claimed was a knife in a botched robbery.
The raider struck at the Millennium Food and Wine shop, on Bishopthorpe Road, York, at about 12.40pm on Monday, February 18.
He threatened to harm a female member of staff with a knife that he claimed was in his bag and struck her on the head with his hand while he attempted to break into a till by smashing it onto the floor.
The would-be robber then left the shop empty-handed, making off on what appeared to be a mountain bike.
The shop assistant, who did not see a knife, suffered bruising to her head and was checked over at the scene by paramedics. She did not require hospital treatment.
The suspect was described as slim, about 5ft 6ins tall, aged in his late teens, with distinctive pale blue eyes.
He was wearing a three-quarter length royal blue rain jacket that was elasticated around the waist and with a thick black stripe across the shoulders. It had a blue hood and high collar that he used to cover his face.
He was also wearing dark tracksuit bottoms, dark grey gloves and was carrying a dark JD sports drawstring bag with three white stripes on it.
Acting Detective Inspector Fiona Wynne said: “This was a terrifying experience for the member of staff which has left her very shaken and deeply upset.”
Anyone with information is urged to contact police on 101, select option two and ask for CID. Alternatively call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555-111.
More Crime News
- Northumbria Police may have wrongly classified rape cases as "no crime", it is revealed
- Police appeal after man tries to get 16-year-old girl into car
- Hundreds of police staff investigated over misuse of social media
- Hartlepool man jailed after causing life-threatening injury to baby
- Five years jail for fraudster who fleeced wealthy divorcee
- Appeal after ancient armour stolen from church
- Twelve arrested and stolen property and drugs seized in raids
- Police crackdown on burglary
- Alan is police boss Hogg's new chief
- Lorry driver accused of causing death of Murton trucker appears in court
More York & Harrogate News
- Children rescued after getting stuck on funfair ride 15 feet up
- Leeming airmen take on tough challenge to help babies
- Legendary wartime "angels" inspire a new generation
- Riverside cordoned off after serious sex attack
- Pressures of power drove King Richard to drink
- Cyclist, 77, dies after collision with elderly pedestrian
- Veterans to share their experiences of D-Day
- First-hand true story of the horror of the First World War
- Roxy blooms with flower power
- Arrest after man stabbed in York
Comments are closed on this article.