For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Robber strikes woman on head in shop raid
2:31pm Tuesday 19th February 2013 in News
A HOODED robber struck a shop assistant on the head and threatened her with what he claimed was a knife in a botched robbery.
The raider struck at the Millennium Food and Wine shop, on Bishopthorpe Road, York, at about 12.40pm on Monday, February 18.
He threatened to harm a female member of staff with a knife that he claimed was in his bag and struck her on the head with his hand while he attempted to break into a till by smashing it onto the floor.
The would-be robber then left the shop empty-handed, making off on what appeared to be a mountain bike.
The shop assistant, who did not see a knife, suffered bruising to her head and was checked over at the scene by paramedics. She did not require hospital treatment.
The suspect was described as slim, about 5ft 6ins tall, aged in his late teens, with distinctive pale blue eyes.
He was wearing a three-quarter length royal blue rain jacket that was elasticated around the waist and with a thick black stripe across the shoulders. It had a blue hood and high collar that he used to cover his face.
He was also wearing dark tracksuit bottoms, dark grey gloves and was carrying a dark JD sports drawstring bag with three white stripes on it.
Acting Detective Inspector Fiona Wynne said: “This was a terrifying experience for the member of staff which has left her very shaken and deeply upset.”
Anyone with information is urged to contact police on 101, select option two and ask for CID. Alternatively call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555-111.
More Crime News
- Social workers jailed for sexually abusing vulnerable boys at North-East residential homes
- Police warning over PIN con
- New home needed for Cleveland Police dog Jet
- Two men arrested after late night stab attack
- 'I do not deliberately expose myself' - former teacher on trial denies sex offences
- Gang beat up man in street
- Punch in the face leaves man with fractured cheekbone
- Police release images of man wanted in connection with Stanley bank raid
- Mother and sex offender son deny perverting course of justice
- Men 'celebrated' after kicking victim in head, court told
More York & Harrogate News
- Hunt launched for fugitive car thief
- Teenage girl arrested over attack which left two men with serious facial injuries
- City to remember its debt to brave French pilot
- Explosion of colour at spring flower show
- New accoldade for chef Sara
- Biker hurt in town smash
- Northern Rock Foundation closure a 'massive blow for North-East charities'
- Grayson Perry to host an evening of teddy bear heaven
- Pet owners warned Easter eggs could prove fatal for dogs
- York's 21 gun salute Queen's 88th birthday
Comments are closed on this article.