A HOODED robber struck a shop assistant on the head and threatened her with what he claimed was a knife in a botched robbery.
The raider struck at the Millennium Food and Wine shop, on Bishopthorpe Road, York, at about 12.40pm on Monday, February 18.
He threatened to harm a female member of staff with a knife that he claimed was in his bag and struck her on the head with his hand while he attempted to break into a till by smashing it onto the floor.
The would-be robber then left the shop empty-handed, making off on what appeared to be a mountain bike.
The shop assistant, who did not see a knife, suffered bruising to her head and was checked over at the scene by paramedics. She did not require hospital treatment.
The suspect was described as slim, about 5ft 6ins tall, aged in his late teens, with distinctive pale blue eyes.
He was wearing a three-quarter length royal blue rain jacket that was elasticated around the waist and with a thick black stripe across the shoulders. It had a blue hood and high collar that he used to cover his face.
He was also wearing dark tracksuit bottoms, dark grey gloves and was carrying a dark JD sports drawstring bag with three white stripes on it.
Acting Detective Inspector Fiona Wynne said: “This was a terrifying experience for the member of staff which has left her very shaken and deeply upset.”
Anyone with information is urged to contact police on 101, select option two and ask for CID. Alternatively call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555-111.
More Crime News
- Banned driver who flipped car after 100mph police chase with a boy in the car jailed for 12 months
- Why borstal is the way forward
- Watch as thieves smash window and steal three specialist racing bikes in 38 seconds
- Ten charged over drugs and money laundering
- VIDEO: 'Stupid' man clings to car bonnet in his pants at 52mph for a dare
- Motorists who cause deaths by using mobile phones targeted by police in Durham and Cleveland
- Reward for information after masked men tie up elderly couple before robbing them
- Stockton man admits stalking a musician he met on dating website
- Burglar accused of setting fire to disabled woman's home to cover up crime is cleared of causing her death
- Violent and sexual crime rises down to "growing confidence in police", bosses say
More York & Harrogate News
- York charity shop evacuated after 'grenade' found in donated cosmetics bag: Update 5.25pm
- Urgent appeal as 15-year-old goes missing
- Fundraising climbers suffocated after being hit by avalanche
- The walkabout wallaby finds a new family
- Churchill's funeral train to be reunited
- Grave robbers make an appearance
- Killer stabbed his estranged wife's lover in front of their children - after tracking pair down with phone app
- Police appeal for information after aggravated burglary near York
- Ordination of Church of England's first female bishop disrupted by lone protestor
- Boy hit by bus on the way to school is in comfortable condition, police have said