A HOODED robber struck a shop assistant on the head and threatened her with what he claimed was a knife in a botched robbery.
The raider struck at the Millennium Food and Wine shop, on Bishopthorpe Road, York, at about 12.40pm on Monday, February 18.
He threatened to harm a female member of staff with a knife that he claimed was in his bag and struck her on the head with his hand while he attempted to break into a till by smashing it onto the floor.
Loading article content
The would-be robber then left the shop empty-handed, making off on what appeared to be a mountain bike.
The shop assistant, who did not see a knife, suffered bruising to her head and was checked over at the scene by paramedics. She did not require hospital treatment.
The suspect was described as slim, about 5ft 6ins tall, aged in his late teens, with distinctive pale blue eyes.
He was wearing a three-quarter length royal blue rain jacket that was elasticated around the waist and with a thick black stripe across the shoulders. It had a blue hood and high collar that he used to cover his face.
He was also wearing dark tracksuit bottoms, dark grey gloves and was carrying a dark JD sports drawstring bag with three white stripes on it.
Acting Detective Inspector Fiona Wynne said: “This was a terrifying experience for the member of staff which has left her very shaken and deeply upset.”
Anyone with information is urged to contact police on 101, select option two and ask for CID. Alternatively call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555-111.
More Crime News
- Appeal for information over house break-in
- Cocker Spaniel Dora and her five pups reunited with owner 'thanks to the Great British public!'
- Police issue CCTV images in hotel raid probe
- Judge tells £1m tobacco smuggling gang they are "ripping the heart" out of Treasury coffers
- 12-year-old sought after woman punched in face in Hartlepool
- Cleveland PCC urges slavery victims to use helpline
- Drink and drug-drive awareness campaign launched in conjunction with The Keys in Yarm
- UPDATED: Store worker thwarts knifeman who tried to rob Darlington Post Office
- Teenager threatened by man wielding broken bottle
- North Yorkshire Police join probe into allegations of abuse within football
More York & Harrogate News
- Woman dies as car and lorry collide
- Fire service criticised after responding at speed to cut a bike lock
- Thousands raised for funeral of well-known Big Issue seller
- Man dies in "wrong way" collision on A64
- Charlatans set for North Yorkshire outdoor gig
- England boss Southgate ends bid to sell £3m North Yorkshire home
- Man's shame after taking sword from Roman emperor statue
- Flood-hit Vikings to refloat top attraction
- Train fares set to rise by average of more than two per cent from January
- Pictures: Stars of grassroots sport are celebrated at the 17th annual Local Heroes Awards