A HOODED robber struck a shop assistant on the head and threatened her with what he claimed was a knife in a botched robbery.
The raider struck at the Millennium Food and Wine shop, on Bishopthorpe Road, York, at about 12.40pm on Monday, February 18.
He threatened to harm a female member of staff with a knife that he claimed was in his bag and struck her on the head with his hand while he attempted to break into a till by smashing it onto the floor.
The would-be robber then left the shop empty-handed, making off on what appeared to be a mountain bike.
The shop assistant, who did not see a knife, suffered bruising to her head and was checked over at the scene by paramedics. She did not require hospital treatment.
The suspect was described as slim, about 5ft 6ins tall, aged in his late teens, with distinctive pale blue eyes.
He was wearing a three-quarter length royal blue rain jacket that was elasticated around the waist and with a thick black stripe across the shoulders. It had a blue hood and high collar that he used to cover his face.
He was also wearing dark tracksuit bottoms, dark grey gloves and was carrying a dark JD sports drawstring bag with three white stripes on it.
Acting Detective Inspector Fiona Wynne said: “This was a terrifying experience for the member of staff which has left her very shaken and deeply upset.”
Anyone with information is urged to contact police on 101, select option two and ask for CID. Alternatively call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555-111.
More Crime News
- Teenager turned away from nightclub waved meat cleaver at bouncer
- Detectives release details of car spotted at shooting scene in Stockton
- Drugs plot gang locked up as police pledge 'no hiding place' for organised crime cartels
- 11 years for arsonist who set fire to North Sea ferry after drinking heavily and smoking cannabis
- Police investigating 'unexplained' death after man's body found in Guisborough
- Arrests follow bike thefts from Tilly and her sisters
- Families vital for prisoner rehabilitation
- Takeaway customer who was challenged to a fight appears in court for kicking man in head
- New special constables to be unveiled in Durham this month
- Police forces team up to crackdown on rural crime
More York & Harrogate News
- Samaritan punched
- Tethered horse dies after knife attack
- Instrument dealers urged to help track down stolen 19th century violin
- Road tax payers can celebrate birth of notorious highwayman
- Detectives hunt convicted burglar
- Videos: Poignant pleas on river safety unveiled by those who lost loved ones
- York Festival of Food and Drink visitors to sample cream of Yorkshire
- Migraine sufferer gets new lease of life from new migraine technology
- Researchers to reveal secrets of ancient artefacts
- Former trainer and jump jockey to battle corruption charges