A HOODED robber struck a shop assistant on the head and threatened her with what he claimed was a knife in a botched robbery.
The raider struck at the Millennium Food and Wine shop, on Bishopthorpe Road, York, at about 12.40pm on Monday, February 18.
He threatened to harm a female member of staff with a knife that he claimed was in his bag and struck her on the head with his hand while he attempted to break into a till by smashing it onto the floor.
Loading article content
The would-be robber then left the shop empty-handed, making off on what appeared to be a mountain bike.
The shop assistant, who did not see a knife, suffered bruising to her head and was checked over at the scene by paramedics. She did not require hospital treatment.
The suspect was described as slim, about 5ft 6ins tall, aged in his late teens, with distinctive pale blue eyes.
He was wearing a three-quarter length royal blue rain jacket that was elasticated around the waist and with a thick black stripe across the shoulders. It had a blue hood and high collar that he used to cover his face.
He was also wearing dark tracksuit bottoms, dark grey gloves and was carrying a dark JD sports drawstring bag with three white stripes on it.
Acting Detective Inspector Fiona Wynne said: “This was a terrifying experience for the member of staff which has left her very shaken and deeply upset.”
Anyone with information is urged to contact police on 101, select option two and ask for CID. Alternatively call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555-111.
More Crime News
- Family of Second World War veteran killed in a hit and run 25 years ago make fresh appeal for information
- 'Lowest of the low' burglar who targeted vulnerable elderly victims is jailed for five years
- Need to ring 999, but it's not safe to talk? Here's what to do...
- Woman 35, from Hurworth Place, appears at court over alleged Darlington wounding incident
- Couple to be sentenced for distraction theft from 82-year-old in Bishop Auckland
- Canine crime-fighters ready for action as police puppies join the force
- Police investigating Bigg Market street fight release CCTV images
- £1,000 cash reward to help catch wanted man
- Officers recover stolen vehicle - three arrested on suspicion of burglary
- Norma Bell murder: Penniless thief accused of killing widow 'tried to destroy the evidence in explosion', court told
More York & Harrogate News
- Driver has lucky escape after car leaves road and flips over
- Ringing changes for silent bells
- Half-term fun with the Flying Scotsman
- Claudia Lawrence: Investigation into disappearance to be scaled down by North Yorkshire Police
- Family and friends of murdered schoolgirl mark what would have been her eighth birthday with balloon release
- City is "underperforming" says report
- Valuable guitars recovered after foot chase
- Churches aid in fighting loneliness
- Tower struggle will now go before a judge
- Yorkshire couple to launch whisky distillery