VIKING hordes will descend on the region this weekend for a an epic clash of steel upon steel.
The Eye of York will be transformed into a fiery battleground as the 28th Jorvik Viking Festival comes to a close in a blaze of glory.
And as Viking warriors train for battle, members of the Elfshot historical archery group have been busy making scores of arrows that will form part of the event’s spectacular fire displays.
Festival organisers claim the battle on Saturday will be the “biggest and best yet”.
It will combine a live action battle involving hundreds of re-enactors with dramatic pyrotechnic displays, set against an atmospheric soundtrack that will incorporate individual performances alongside extracts of Old Norse verse.”
Festival organiser Danielle Daglan said: “It’s amazing to be involved in such a historic event, in such a fantastic setting.”
Throughout the day there will be Viking processions and activities around the city. The battle itself is a ticket only event. Tickets , at £10 for adults and £7.50 concessions, are available online at jorvik-viking-centre.com or by phoning the booking line on 01904-615505.
More York & Harrogate News
- Fears rise for missing teenager with medical condition
- Plans unveiled for 1,100 new homes in York
- Army reservists prepare to face ebola fight in Africa
- Investigation into private ambulance company
- Trading Standards forced to scale back on undercover spot checks
- Christmas attraction slammed by parents for being appalling quality
- Pair 'lucky to be alive' after block shatters car windscreen
- Volunteers enjoy Christmas dinner cooked in steam locomotive
- Viking hoard revealed in all its beauty
- Police awarded recognition for life-saving attempts