VIKING hordes will descend on the region this weekend for a an epic clash of steel upon steel.
The Eye of York will be transformed into a fiery battleground as the 28th Jorvik Viking Festival comes to a close in a blaze of glory.
And as Viking warriors train for battle, members of the Elfshot historical archery group have been busy making scores of arrows that will form part of the event’s spectacular fire displays.
Loading article content
Festival organisers claim the battle on Saturday will be the “biggest and best yet”.
It will combine a live action battle involving hundreds of re-enactors with dramatic pyrotechnic displays, set against an atmospheric soundtrack that will incorporate individual performances alongside extracts of Old Norse verse.”
Festival organiser Danielle Daglan said: “It’s amazing to be involved in such a historic event, in such a fantastic setting.”
Throughout the day there will be Viking processions and activities around the city. The battle itself is a ticket only event. Tickets , at £10 for adults and £7.50 concessions, are available online at jorvik-viking-centre.com or by phoning the booking line on 01904-615505.
More York & Harrogate News
- Darlington has second highest proportion of under-performing secondary schools in country, figures reveal
- Banking accountant and company director admits fare dodging offence
- Ancient tower plan
- £18m plan to revamp museum
- Minister’s pledge to charities
- Remembering the Holocaust
- Watch: Late for train, CCTV captures couple climbing over locked gate to carry toddler across rail tracks
- Watch: Residents hear bang in early hours as electricity pylon catches fire
- 'Devastated' mother of missing Claudia Lawrence vows to never give up on her daughter as police search scaled back
- Driver has lucky escape after car leaves road and flips over