VIKING hordes will descend on the region this weekend for a an epic clash of steel upon steel.
The Eye of York will be transformed into a fiery battleground as the 28th Jorvik Viking Festival comes to a close in a blaze of glory.
And as Viking warriors train for battle, members of the Elfshot historical archery group have been busy making scores of arrows that will form part of the event’s spectacular fire displays.
Loading article content
Festival organisers claim the battle on Saturday will be the “biggest and best yet”.
It will combine a live action battle involving hundreds of re-enactors with dramatic pyrotechnic displays, set against an atmospheric soundtrack that will incorporate individual performances alongside extracts of Old Norse verse.”
Festival organiser Danielle Daglan said: “It’s amazing to be involved in such a historic event, in such a fantastic setting.”
Throughout the day there will be Viking processions and activities around the city. The battle itself is a ticket only event. Tickets , at £10 for adults and £7.50 concessions, are available online at jorvik-viking-centre.com or by phoning the booking line on 01904-615505.
More York & Harrogate News
- Woman charged over the crash that left York pantomime star Martin Barrass with serious injuries
- Dad’s exhausting thanks to medics
- 'It was a genuine mistake,' says bus driver who drove past two road closed signs before stranding vehicle in floodwater with 23 children onboard
- Plans emerge for major outdoor concert
- Hairdresser crowned best in region after making it as a finalist for last five years
- Explosive use for fruit flies
- Man evicted after playing Sweet Home Alabama and Smack My B**** Up so loud his neighbour's floor vibrated
- Pictures: Cute kids in their Nativity plays down the years plus one 99-year-old angel
- Traditional festive carols
- Commemorative candles create a river of light