VIKING hordes will descend on the region this weekend for a an epic clash of steel upon steel.
The Eye of York will be transformed into a fiery battleground as the 28th Jorvik Viking Festival comes to a close in a blaze of glory.
And as Viking warriors train for battle, members of the Elfshot historical archery group have been busy making scores of arrows that will form part of the event’s spectacular fire displays.
Festival organisers claim the battle on Saturday will be the “biggest and best yet”.
It will combine a live action battle involving hundreds of re-enactors with dramatic pyrotechnic displays, set against an atmospheric soundtrack that will incorporate individual performances alongside extracts of Old Norse verse.”
Festival organiser Danielle Daglan said: “It’s amazing to be involved in such a historic event, in such a fantastic setting.”
Throughout the day there will be Viking processions and activities around the city. The battle itself is a ticket only event. Tickets , at £10 for adults and £7.50 concessions, are available online at jorvik-viking-centre.com or by phoning the booking line on 01904-615505.
More York & Harrogate News
- Raptors become real birds of pray
- Three Claudia Lawrence 'murder suspects' released on bail
- People withholding evidence that could solve Claudia Lawrence mystery, says family friend, as three more men arrested
- For grandad, with love
- Inquest into fatal ambulance crash driver opened
- New-look Himalayan garden set to reopen
- "We will grow them on the beaches..." - flower show tribute to Churchill
- Anita makes the cut as official Tour artist
- Guns thunder in tribute to the Queen
- Robber behind bars for 12 years