VIKING hordes will descend on the region this weekend for a an epic clash of steel upon steel.
The Eye of York will be transformed into a fiery battleground as the 28th Jorvik Viking Festival comes to a close in a blaze of glory.
And as Viking warriors train for battle, members of the Elfshot historical archery group have been busy making scores of arrows that will form part of the event’s spectacular fire displays.
Loading article content
Festival organisers claim the battle on Saturday will be the “biggest and best yet”.
It will combine a live action battle involving hundreds of re-enactors with dramatic pyrotechnic displays, set against an atmospheric soundtrack that will incorporate individual performances alongside extracts of Old Norse verse.”
Festival organiser Danielle Daglan said: “It’s amazing to be involved in such a historic event, in such a fantastic setting.”
Throughout the day there will be Viking processions and activities around the city. The battle itself is a ticket only event. Tickets , at £10 for adults and £7.50 concessions, are available online at jorvik-viking-centre.com or by phoning the booking line on 01904-615505.
More York & Harrogate News
- Rock Choir performs at York Barbican for charity
- Suspected stolen vehicle crashes into wall after police chase - four arrested
- £14m water park complex opening suffers further delays
- Foreign fire-starting ants invade North
- Man suffers 'life-changing' injuries following crash on A690
- WATCH: Hard-hitting video shows shocking footage of people trespassing on railway tracks
- A66 reopens after accident involving lorry and car
- 58 people evacuated from train after engine fire
- Body recovered from canal
- All the fun of the beach - miles from the sea