VIKING hordes will descend on the region this weekend for a an epic clash of steel upon steel.
The Eye of York will be transformed into a fiery battleground as the 28th Jorvik Viking Festival comes to a close in a blaze of glory.
And as Viking warriors train for battle, members of the Elfshot historical archery group have been busy making scores of arrows that will form part of the event’s spectacular fire displays.
Loading article content
Festival organisers claim the battle on Saturday will be the “biggest and best yet”.
It will combine a live action battle involving hundreds of re-enactors with dramatic pyrotechnic displays, set against an atmospheric soundtrack that will incorporate individual performances alongside extracts of Old Norse verse.”
Festival organiser Danielle Daglan said: “It’s amazing to be involved in such a historic event, in such a fantastic setting.”
Throughout the day there will be Viking processions and activities around the city. The battle itself is a ticket only event. Tickets , at £10 for adults and £7.50 concessions, are available online at jorvik-viking-centre.com or by phoning the booking line on 01904-615505.
More York & Harrogate News
- Maze to unveil Daisy’s great-grandchildren
- Bearded man hunted after 'despicable' raid
- Rare machines from biking's 'Golden Era' at North East Vintage Motorcycle Club run
- Curious Poodle puppy needs rescuing after getting head stuck in gate
- Shock at sudden death of school head
- Brutal badger attack sentence branded 'ridiculous' by North Yorkshire animal rescuer
- Council to cut funding for drug and alcohol misuse treatment by half a million pounds
- Vintage 4x4s will be a big draw for show
- Show misses record by a whisker
- Win for Queen's horse at Great Yorkshire Show