VIKING hordes will descend on the region this weekend for a an epic clash of steel upon steel.
The Eye of York will be transformed into a fiery battleground as the 28th Jorvik Viking Festival comes to a close in a blaze of glory.
And as Viking warriors train for battle, members of the Elfshot historical archery group have been busy making scores of arrows that will form part of the event’s spectacular fire displays.
Loading article content
Festival organisers claim the battle on Saturday will be the “biggest and best yet”.
It will combine a live action battle involving hundreds of re-enactors with dramatic pyrotechnic displays, set against an atmospheric soundtrack that will incorporate individual performances alongside extracts of Old Norse verse.”
Festival organiser Danielle Daglan said: “It’s amazing to be involved in such a historic event, in such a fantastic setting.”
Throughout the day there will be Viking processions and activities around the city. The battle itself is a ticket only event. Tickets , at £10 for adults and £7.50 concessions, are available online at jorvik-viking-centre.com or by phoning the booking line on 01904-615505.
More York & Harrogate News
- Cash-strapped doctors' group considers stopping providing over the counter medicines and withdrawing services
- Warning after reports of asphalting scam with 'leftover highways projects stock'
- Castle visitor centre plan compared to a toilet
- Thinking big at flower show
- Work to renovate historic railway station is started
- Man seen commiting sexual act in woods near public gardens
- Caravan crashes into central reservation on A64
- 213mph! Dutch rider pops world's fastest wheelie in North Yorkshire
- Firefighters called to deal with... blazing scarf and shoes
- Man who must give police 24 hours notice before he has sex loses legal battle