VIKING hordes will descend on the region this weekend for a an epic clash of steel upon steel.
The Eye of York will be transformed into a fiery battleground as the 28th Jorvik Viking Festival comes to a close in a blaze of glory.
And as Viking warriors train for battle, members of the Elfshot historical archery group have been busy making scores of arrows that will form part of the event’s spectacular fire displays.
Loading article content
Festival organisers claim the battle on Saturday will be the “biggest and best yet”.
It will combine a live action battle involving hundreds of re-enactors with dramatic pyrotechnic displays, set against an atmospheric soundtrack that will incorporate individual performances alongside extracts of Old Norse verse.”
Festival organiser Danielle Daglan said: “It’s amazing to be involved in such a historic event, in such a fantastic setting.”
Throughout the day there will be Viking processions and activities around the city. The battle itself is a ticket only event. Tickets , at £10 for adults and £7.50 concessions, are available online at jorvik-viking-centre.com or by phoning the booking line on 01904-615505.
More York & Harrogate News
- University Challenge contestant to face rape retrial after jury was unable to reach verdicts
- Footage of care home staff captured on secret camera leads to watchdog demanding improvements
- Claudia's Law moves a step closer
- Cycling VIP to attend Dales roadshow
- Thoroughly focused Millie: Coming to York and Newcastle
- Derelict site could become food hub
- Closure of barracks is ‘wrong’
- Staff shortage leads to cleanliness row at hospital
- Life-saving wife calls for compulsory CPR training
- Man sought after pub brawl