VIKING hordes will descend on the region this weekend for a an epic clash of steel upon steel.
The Eye of York will be transformed into a fiery battleground as the 28th Jorvik Viking Festival comes to a close in a blaze of glory.
And as Viking warriors train for battle, members of the Elfshot historical archery group have been busy making scores of arrows that will form part of the event’s spectacular fire displays.
Loading article content
Festival organisers claim the battle on Saturday will be the “biggest and best yet”.
It will combine a live action battle involving hundreds of re-enactors with dramatic pyrotechnic displays, set against an atmospheric soundtrack that will incorporate individual performances alongside extracts of Old Norse verse.”
Festival organiser Danielle Daglan said: “It’s amazing to be involved in such a historic event, in such a fantastic setting.”
Throughout the day there will be Viking processions and activities around the city. The battle itself is a ticket only event. Tickets , at £10 for adults and £7.50 concessions, are available online at jorvik-viking-centre.com or by phoning the booking line on 01904-615505.
More York & Harrogate News
- Police issue image of man following burglary
- Investigation after girl, 5, locked in church crypt
- Prince Charles meets junior soldiers in visit to the region
- Your Pictures: Heavy snowfall hits region causing disruption on roads
- Get glowing at midnight to help city hospice
- Plans announced for new prison
- Man and 2 women sought after several vehicles scratched
- Video: Lorry driver jailed after killing 21-year-old woman while selecting music on mobile phone
- Crash driver was drinking cans of beer at the wheel
- Man suffers serious injuries in city centre hit-and-run