VIKING hordes will descend on the region this weekend for a an epic clash of steel upon steel.
The Eye of York will be transformed into a fiery battleground as the 28th Jorvik Viking Festival comes to a close in a blaze of glory.
And as Viking warriors train for battle, members of the Elfshot historical archery group have been busy making scores of arrows that will form part of the event’s spectacular fire displays.
Loading article content
Festival organisers claim the battle on Saturday will be the “biggest and best yet”.
It will combine a live action battle involving hundreds of re-enactors with dramatic pyrotechnic displays, set against an atmospheric soundtrack that will incorporate individual performances alongside extracts of Old Norse verse.”
Festival organiser Danielle Daglan said: “It’s amazing to be involved in such a historic event, in such a fantastic setting.”
Throughout the day there will be Viking processions and activities around the city. The battle itself is a ticket only event. Tickets , at £10 for adults and £7.50 concessions, are available online at jorvik-viking-centre.com or by phoning the booking line on 01904-615505.
More York & Harrogate News
- Body of woman found this morning on railway line at Copmanthorpe near York
- Try our mock SATs Key Stage 1 and 2 tests - could you pass?
- Thieves target ambulance at hospital
- Million pound fine after Yorkshire Water pollutes river with sewage
- Hiroshima survivor recalls her experience
- Snap up some fantastic prizes in the Winning Smile photo competition
- Delight as gallery chosen as one of the country's best
- Yorkshire Rows launch another challenge for the county
- Protected bird left to die after being blasted from the sky
- Sky riders to enjoy York once again