VIKING hordes will descend on the region this weekend for a an epic clash of steel upon steel.
The Eye of York will be transformed into a fiery battleground as the 28th Jorvik Viking Festival comes to a close in a blaze of glory.
And as Viking warriors train for battle, members of the Elfshot historical archery group have been busy making scores of arrows that will form part of the event’s spectacular fire displays.
Loading article content
Festival organisers claim the battle on Saturday will be the “biggest and best yet”.
It will combine a live action battle involving hundreds of re-enactors with dramatic pyrotechnic displays, set against an atmospheric soundtrack that will incorporate individual performances alongside extracts of Old Norse verse.”
Festival organiser Danielle Daglan said: “It’s amazing to be involved in such a historic event, in such a fantastic setting.”
Throughout the day there will be Viking processions and activities around the city. The battle itself is a ticket only event. Tickets , at £10 for adults and £7.50 concessions, are available online at jorvik-viking-centre.com or by phoning the booking line on 01904-615505.
More York & Harrogate News
- Indian takeaway owner Mohammed Zaman who "put profit before safety" given 6 years for manslaughter of peanut allergy customer
- Another red kite blasted to death in North Yorkshire as persecution continues
- Going medieval - great cathedral is transformed into theatre
- Spring ball helps the fight against cancer
- Take on the #KeepitupforEngland challenge and show your support for our heroes
- Deano's story of the horrors of war and the road to recovery is why everyone should #KeepitupforEngland to support our heroes
- Ladies tug-of-war team helps after crash
- Farmer rescued after tractor slips into slurry pit
- North Yorkshire bed-and-breakfast is a TV winner
- Taxpayers have a right to know