THE A19 has reopened after being closed for ten hours by two crashes near Northallerton involving the same motorist.
The first crash took place on the southbound carriageway shortly before 1.10am this morning, close to the junction for Kirby Sigston.
A black Ford Focus and a lorry collided, causing the Focus to leave the road.
Although the lorry driver did not stop at the time, he has been identified and will be interviewed by police.
The second collision happened close to the junction for Over Silton, also on the southbound carriageway, at approximately 1.20am.
A heavy goods vehicle collided with the man who had been driving the Ford Focus, who was standing on the road.
The man, a 35-year-old from Thirsk, suffered a serious head injury and was taken to James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough, where he currently remains.
The A19 was closed until 11am following the collisions.
Traffic Sergeant Richard Parsons, of North Yorkshire Police's Roads Policing Group, said: “I am asking anyone who witnessed either of the collisions to come forward and contact the police straight away.
“I also need to speak to anyone who was travelling on the A19 and may have seen the Ford Focus prior to the first collision or a pedestrian on the road at the time, and urge them to get in touch.”
Anyone who can help with this investigation is asked to contact North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 2 and ask for Richard Parsons.
Alternatively information can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
More Transport News
- Motorists urged to give vehicles a winter check-up in County Durham
- Government to demand rail firm replaces hated Pacer trains
- Highways Agency unveils grit mountain and new pump in readiness to tackle North-East's winter roads
- Trains supporting Movember with new "mogo"
- Billingham motorbike trainers allowed to continue after getting permission nine years late
- "North-East rail fares are high enough," campaigners tell Prime Minister
- Bus company changes its pricing zones for Darlington and Newton Aycliffee
- North-East business leaders welcome pending news of major improvements to A1
- Collapsed manhole cover causes traffic chaos on A66 in Middlesbrough
- Steam icon returns to its home town