ARSONISTS caused £70,000 worth of damage and destroyed a historic landmark after setting fire to a dutch barn near Northallerton.
The barn is owned by farmers Lynda and Tony Elsdon from Appleton Wiske.
They were alerted by a neighbour on Friday night that the barn, on Deighton Road, was on fire.
Loading article content
This followed reports that a small white van had been seen speeding away from the scene minutes before.
Mrs Elsdon said: "It’s such a great shame, it was a real local landmark, we’ve been here forty years, so it must have been here for 80 years.
"I just can’t imagine why anyone would want to do this, we’ve never had problems like this before.
"The one good thing of course is that no one was hurt and there was no stock in the barn, it was full of straw.”
An investigations been launched by North Yorkshire Police who say they were called to the fire at around 8.20pm on Friday (February 15).
Detectives are working with investigators from North Yorkshire fire and rescue.
They want to hear from anyone who saw the fire or anyone acting suspiciously in the area. They would also like to speak to the occupants of the white van seen in the area at around the time of the fire. Call police on 101.
More Crime News
- Seven arrested after raids throughout night following London terror attack that left four people dead and 29 injured
- Huge rise in child sex crime reports is 'encouraging' says Vera Baird
- 'Business as usual' say police in North-East, but extra patrols at 'key locations' after London terror attack
- Man charged with guesthouse murder
- Police examine current sheep worrying laws to see if they are effective
- Police release image of man with North-East accent after toddler is assaulted on train
- Hunt for firearms offender believed to be on run from police
- Man jailed for stealing collection box raising money for cancer battler Bradley Lowery
- Wanted: Can you help police trace these people?
- Increase in people abusing social media to harass others, say police
More Northallerton News
- New training scheme for young workers
- Beer lovers create a community brewery to keep tradition going
- Your Pictures: Heavy snowfall hits region causing disruption on roads
- Daughter, 9, raising money for charity in memory of mum
- Northallerton young farmers enjoy evening of fun, feasting and fundraising to help good causes
- Friends raise money to launch library run by volunteers
- Members of art group display their work
- Number plates stolen from cars parked at Friarage Hospital
- Get set for spring at Saks Beauty, Northallerton
- On your marks for the Northallerton 10k