ARSONISTS caused £70,000 worth of damage and destroyed a historic landmark after setting fire to a dutch barn near Northallerton.
The barn is owned by farmers Lynda and Tony Elsdon from Appleton Wiske.
They were alerted by a neighbour on Friday night that the barn, on Deighton Road, was on fire.
Loading article content
This followed reports that a small white van had been seen speeding away from the scene minutes before.
Mrs Elsdon said: "It’s such a great shame, it was a real local landmark, we’ve been here forty years, so it must have been here for 80 years.
"I just can’t imagine why anyone would want to do this, we’ve never had problems like this before.
"The one good thing of course is that no one was hurt and there was no stock in the barn, it was full of straw.”
An investigations been launched by North Yorkshire Police who say they were called to the fire at around 8.20pm on Friday (February 15).
Detectives are working with investigators from North Yorkshire fire and rescue.
They want to hear from anyone who saw the fire or anyone acting suspiciously in the area. They would also like to speak to the occupants of the white van seen in the area at around the time of the fire. Call police on 101.
More Crime News
- Region has most drug-driver convictions
- Lessons in how to spot a scam
- Con-woman posed as TV psychic Sally Morgan to get cash from vulnerable people who wanted to contact loved ones
- Man wanted for failing to appear at court for suspected driving offences is arrested by traffic officers
- Eye expert adds his voice to laser pen condemnation
- Teenage boy found guilty of raping two girls
- Five boys jailed for vicious mugging in city-centre car park
- Teenage boy on trial accused of raping two girls
- Jury unable to reach verdicts in trial of University Challenge contestant accused of rape
- Grangetown: Driver sought after police pursuit
More Northallerton News
- The Potting Shed pub is coming to a North Yorkshire town after councillors gave it the go-ahead
- Train platform is being extended
- Fears over pub plan at former hospital
- Major shake-up of secondary schools in Northallerton announced
- Town’s cash gift to help library rescue group
- Invention to help with everyday life
- Honorary Citizen scheme for town
- Flower power aids diabetes fight
- MP has written to Government over increased rates for auction marts
- Topic inspired children to change the world