ARSONISTS caused £70,000 worth of damage and destroyed a historic landmark after setting fire to a dutch barn near Northallerton.
The barn is owned by farmers Lynda and Tony Elsdon from Appleton Wiske.
They were alerted by a neighbour on Friday night that the barn, on Deighton Road, was on fire.
Loading article content
This followed reports that a small white van had been seen speeding away from the scene minutes before.
Mrs Elsdon said: "It’s such a great shame, it was a real local landmark, we’ve been here forty years, so it must have been here for 80 years.
"I just can’t imagine why anyone would want to do this, we’ve never had problems like this before.
"The one good thing of course is that no one was hurt and there was no stock in the barn, it was full of straw.”
An investigations been launched by North Yorkshire Police who say they were called to the fire at around 8.20pm on Friday (February 15).
Detectives are working with investigators from North Yorkshire fire and rescue.
They want to hear from anyone who saw the fire or anyone acting suspiciously in the area. They would also like to speak to the occupants of the white van seen in the area at around the time of the fire. Call police on 101.
More Crime News
- Pictures: Machetes, meat cleavers and swords among 106 knives handed in during knife amnesty
- Lorry, van and HGV drivers targeted as part of North-East operation
- WATCH: Woman insisted she was not driving speeding car despite video footage of her behind the wheel
- Man and woman sought after Whitby pub customer has purse stolen while at bar
- Cannibas farm discovered following burglary at Gateshead home
- Man in court over alleged knifepoint robbery of pensioner
- Pensioner punched and robbed in his own home by man wearing 'clown mask'
- WATCH: Drink and drug driver speeds through city centre before crash which killed his teenage passenger
- Jail for 'lunatic' driver who nearly killed pedestrian just hours after being banned from roads
- Do you recognise these suspects caught on CCTV?
More Northallerton News
- Nine years behind bars for Northallerton man who admitted child sex charges
- Durham Tees Valley chief welcomes Heathrow expansion - with potential new flights between the airports
- Talented schoolboy footballer aiming high after scoring on international debut
- Accolade for dementia campaigner
- Scary for birds - but fun for villagers
- Town gets ready to light up the sky
- This is not the place for steel fabrication plant - Northallerton town councillors
- Horror as armed gang wearing skeleton masks smash way into house and attack man
- Teen set for Far Eastern travel
- Ever wanted to be a firefighter? Durham and Darlington fire service launch new apprenticeships