ARSONISTS caused £70,000 worth of damage and destroyed a historic landmark after setting fire to a dutch barn near Northallerton.
The barn is owned by farmers Lynda and Tony Elsdon from Appleton Wiske.
They were alerted by a neighbour on Friday night that the barn, on Deighton Road, was on fire.
Loading article content
This followed reports that a small white van had been seen speeding away from the scene minutes before.
Mrs Elsdon said: "It’s such a great shame, it was a real local landmark, we’ve been here forty years, so it must have been here for 80 years.
"I just can’t imagine why anyone would want to do this, we’ve never had problems like this before.
"The one good thing of course is that no one was hurt and there was no stock in the barn, it was full of straw.”
An investigations been launched by North Yorkshire Police who say they were called to the fire at around 8.20pm on Friday (February 15).
Detectives are working with investigators from North Yorkshire fire and rescue.
They want to hear from anyone who saw the fire or anyone acting suspiciously in the area. They would also like to speak to the occupants of the white van seen in the area at around the time of the fire. Call police on 101.
More Crime News
- Financial advisor accused of stealing almost £1m from North-East pensioners appears in court
- Teenager, 16, attacked by balaclava rapist
- Three remain in police custody following death of Lawrence French in Middlesbrough
- Driver urged to hand himself in after alleged incident in country park
- MP pushes for "Claudia's Law"
- Legal high ban will cause more harm than good, says Durham PCC fighting prohibition
- Indian takeaway owner Mohammed Zaman who "put profit before safety" given 6 years for manslaughter of peanut allergy customer
- WATCH: A19 horror crash which left mother permanently paralysed caught on camera
- Do you recognise these suspected shoplifters in Darlington, Durham, Bishop Auckland and Ferryhill?
- Peanut allergy sufferer Paul Wilson phoned mum minutes before tucking into fatal takeaway
More Northallerton News
- Thieving train passenger stole computers between Manchester and Teesside
- Ripon man dies in three-car accident on A167 near Northallerton
- Devastated campaigners lose battle to retain hospital shuttle bus service
- Village preparing for four-day summer celebration
- Business boss steps down
- Praise for education service which gives children a second chance
- Have your say on the EU vote
- Organic farm offers walking tours
- Appeal after roundabout smash in Northallerton
- Three hours of non-stop dancing proves a money-spinner