ARSONISTS caused £70,000 worth of damage and destroyed a historic landmark after setting fire to a dutch barn near Northallerton.
The barn is owned by farmers Lynda and Tony Elsdon from Appleton Wiske.
They were alerted by a neighbour on Friday night that the barn, on Deighton Road, was on fire.
Loading article content
This followed reports that a small white van had been seen speeding away from the scene minutes before.
Mrs Elsdon said: "It’s such a great shame, it was a real local landmark, we’ve been here forty years, so it must have been here for 80 years.
"I just can’t imagine why anyone would want to do this, we’ve never had problems like this before.
"The one good thing of course is that no one was hurt and there was no stock in the barn, it was full of straw.”
An investigations been launched by North Yorkshire Police who say they were called to the fire at around 8.20pm on Friday (February 15).
Detectives are working with investigators from North Yorkshire fire and rescue.
They want to hear from anyone who saw the fire or anyone acting suspiciously in the area. They would also like to speak to the occupants of the white van seen in the area at around the time of the fire. Call police on 101.
More Crime News
- Stockton paedophile who raped young girl jailed for 17 years
- 'I'll put your manhood in a box' - stalking trial is told of bizarre e-mail threats
- Man charged with dangerous driving after police chase reaches speeds of 120mph
- Bouncer cleared for punching drinker who threatened to 'stab them up' at Darlington's Boot and Shoe pub
- Worker at UPS depot admits stealing Pandora jewellery from parcels
- Soldier accused of murdering former girlfriend ‘spat in ex’s face in street’, court told
- CCTV appeal after toothbrush theft
- Man in court charged with murder of Craig Guy at The Beacon, Catterick Garrison
- Drivers have more chance of a crash in fine weather
- "Haunted by demons" - victim of rapist priest speaks of horrific abuse
More Northallerton News
- Baby meerkat magic at arboretum
- Making your website work
- Care home appeals to artists to join exhibition
- Four crews tackle tyre fire near Northallerton
- Parking and bus changes for May Fair
- Sisters aged nine and six raise money in memory of their mother, Wendy Reed
- Pupils tuck in at school breakfast club
- £1.1m scheme to make better links in Northallerton
- High praise for work of young offenders
- Speed camera vans on North Yorkshire roads set to double