For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Man dies in horror fire in Stainton pub car park
AN investigation has been launched after a man died in a horror fire ball in a pub car park.
Cleveland Police and Cleveland Fire Brigade are working together in an attempt to discover the circumstances surrounding the death of the man, who is believed to be in his 40s.
It understood the man may have doused himself in petrol and set himself alight although this remained unconfirmed.
Emergency services were called to the car park at the Stainton Pub on Meldyke Lane, Stainton, at about 8.30pm yesterday.
The man, who has not yet been identified, was taken to Middlesbrough’s James Cook University Hospital for treatment to burns, but died of his injuries during the night, Cleveland Police said.
A Cleveland Police spokeswoman said: “Emergency services were called to a report of a fire in a pub car park on Meldyke Lane in Stainton shortly after 8.30pm last night, (Thursday, February 14).
“A man in his forties was taken to James Cook University Hospital for treatment to burns. The male died of his injuries during the night.”
And Dave Turton, head of fire engineering for Cleveland Fire Brigade said: “We received a call to a fire in a car park at the Stainton Public House just after 8pm.
“Two appliances, one from Coulby Newham and one from Thornaby were sent to the incident. When the appliances arrived they found the car well alight and a person suffering injuries in the car park being attended by members of the public.
“Crews administered first aid to the casualty extinguished the car fire and handed the casualty over to the ambulance service.”
Enquiries are ongoing into the incident and anyone with information is asked to contact Cleveland Police on non-emergency number 101.
More Middlesbrough News
- Massive increase in use of food banks in region
- Caravan smashed to pieces after being hit by a lorry on the A19
- Weather looking promising for the Bank Holiday weekend after strong winds batter the North-East
- Brave soldier joins charity walk in memory of fallen comrade
- Date announced for annual Ridewell event at Preston Park
- Opera beamed live from Covent Garden to Stockton cinema
- Police turn to specialist bureau to try to resolve two missing persons cases
- Dolly Rockers jive into the Emporium in Middlesbrough
- Children pick up books instead of bags at Teesside Shopping Park