A NORTH-EAST rugby star has opened a new community gym at a Bishop Auckland school.
Back row, Ali Hogg, who plays for Newcastle Falcons, said King Gym was a fantastic addition to the existing sports facilities at King James I Academy.
“I am really impressed with what I have seen here,” said the 30-year-old Scot. “It is an excellent facility for the school and a great way to encourage kids to get fitter.
“I particularly like the fact it is open to the community after school so kids can come along with their parents and exercise together.”
The gym is located in a former cyber cafe, which has been transformed into a compact, but well-equipped, exercise space, feature new machines such as treadmills and exercise bikes.
As well as being used by GSCE pupils, the gym will be open at lunchtime and after school to encourage youngsters to exercise in their spare time.
It will also be used by members of the Martin Gray Football Academy and Bishop Auckland Under-18s Football Club, who train at the school.
Members of the public will also be welcome to come along outside school hours from as little as £5 per week.
More Bishop Auckland News
- 'I am the law' - Drunk went "on patrol" in friend's police 'special' uniform
- Council scraps exercise referral scheme
- Campaign launched to raise profile of train heritage
- TRACER: Man appeals for help to find his long lost cousin
- Inquest opens into sudden death of Bishop Auckland teenager Lucy Smith
- Police investigating Leeholme assault
- Police appeal for help to trace missing Chilton man
- Youngsters to spearhead £30,000 heritage project for Auckland Castle
- VIDEO: 'Stupid' man clings to car bonnet in his pants at 52mph for a dare
- Romantic husband erects anniversary plaque in Shildon to mark 60-year relationship with wife
More Education News
- Labour pledges to replace university fees with graduation tax
- Questions raised over reliability of school GCSE league tables
- School closures: Thursday, January 29, 2015
- Number of state secondary schools underperforming doubles since last year
- Glowing report 'undermines' closure of free school
- Parliamentary debate on future of free schools in aftermath of Durham Free School closure
- Ofsted places second free school in region into special measures just one day after Durham Free School closure announcement
- 6 schools that could be the answer for parents with children at Durham Free School
- Families plunged into uncertainty after demise of Durham Free School
- Crisis-hit Durham Free School to close after damning Ofsted report