A NORTH-EAST rugby star has opened a new community gym at a Bishop Auckland school.
Back row, Ali Hogg, who plays for Newcastle Falcons, said King Gym was a fantastic addition to the existing sports facilities at King James I Academy.
“I am really impressed with what I have seen here,” said the 30-year-old Scot. “It is an excellent facility for the school and a great way to encourage kids to get fitter.
Loading article content
“I particularly like the fact it is open to the community after school so kids can come along with their parents and exercise together.”
The gym is located in a former cyber cafe, which has been transformed into a compact, but well-equipped, exercise space, feature new machines such as treadmills and exercise bikes.
As well as being used by GSCE pupils, the gym will be open at lunchtime and after school to encourage youngsters to exercise in their spare time.
It will also be used by members of the Martin Gray Football Academy and Bishop Auckland Under-18s Football Club, who train at the school.
Members of the public will also be welcome to come along outside school hours from as little as £5 per week.
More Bishop Auckland News
- Child sex offender has "unduly lenient" sentence increased by two and a half years in Court of Appeal
- Man suffers 'life-changing' injuries following crash on A690
- Man cut from car after collision with lorry near Shildon - road reopens
- WATCH: Hard-hitting video shows shocking footage of people trespassing on railway tracks
- A66 reopens after accident involving lorry and car
- Town boosted by new attractions
- Recycling centre development to bring 50 new jobs to Bishop Auckland area
- Thieves enter unlocked houses
- Bishop Auckland man hit on head in during attack in home
- Project aims to sow the seeds to healthy food
More Education News