For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Serial sex offender banned from mixing with anyone under 18
A CONVICTED serial sex offender has been banned from associating with anyone under the age of 18 after his release from prison.
Gary Dover-Afflick, who has been described as a Fagin-style Satanist, was given an indefinite sexual offences prevention order (SOPO) at Teesside Magistrates Court this afternoon (Monday, February 11).
The 47-year-old was released from prison last year after serving a 12 month sentence for breaching a previous order.
He was arrested in September after giving police a false name and being continually seen with young men.
Dover-Afflick, previously of Sunnybrow Avenue, Billingham, near Stockton, was not present in court when the order was issued. His current address was not read out in court and legal representatives from Cleveland Police refused to confirm his whereabouts.
Jane Smith, representing Cleveland Police, said Dover-Afflick was aware of the hearing and the amendment of the age restriction from under 16 to under 18.
She said: “There is a history of targeting of males around the age of 17, who are young and vulnerable, and this order is to address this issue and particularly to protect vulnerable young men of that age.”
An interim SOPO was imposed on the 47-year-old in January this year, two weeks after he was released from prison on Christmas Eve.
Ann Dakin, the chairman of the bench, said: “We agree to the application for this full order to protect the public for an indefinite period of time.”
In 1997, Dover-Afflick was jailed for indecently assaulting a boy under 16.
Bristol Crown Court heard how he selected rootless youngsters, usually aged between nine and 14, and offered them shelter.
He gave them drugs, lectured them on Satanism and kept them in line with beatings and sexual assaults.
In 2001, he was jailed for five years by Winchester Crown Court after he was convicted of two counts of indecent assault on a child under 14 and a serious sexual assault on a boy under 16.
Speaking after the indefinite order was imposed, Detective Inspector Kath Barber said: “This Sexual Offences Prevention Order enables us to have greater control over the movements of Gary Dover-Afflick and safeguard vulnerable people as a result. Cleveland Police Public Protection Unit will continue to work with partners to closely monitor Registered Sex Offenders and their activity.”
More Crime News
- Drug addict jailed after nursing home burglary
- New people come forward in hunt for missing Claudia
- Anti-crime meetings in Shildon believed to be under threat are to continue
- Man denies indecent assault charge
- Man cleared of killing Pc Keith Blakelock gives first interview since trial verdict
- Benefits cheat who was filmed playing for his local cricket team set to lose house so he can repay the cash
- Judge issues warning to 'pain relief'' cannabis smokers
- Man arrested on suspicion of murder following house fire in Gateshead
- Vandals attack North Yorkshire school
- UPDATED 1PM: Man appears in court accused of chip shop owner's murder
Comments are closed on this article.