A MAN convicted of attempted murder will wait to be sentenced after a judge said he wanted a report from a high security hospital where he is being held.
A jury at Teesside Crown Court unanimously convicted Mohammed Jama of the charge after nearly six hours of deliberation.
Jama, 25, stabbed his housemate Carl Ajib three times in the chest after he was told to leave the property they shared in Brompton Street, Middlesbrough, if he could not contribute towards the bills.
Loading article content
One stab wound punctured Mr Ajib's lung, an injury which at the time was feared to be life threatening.
Today (Friday, February 8) it emerged that while on remand the defendant had been moved from Holme House Prison, near Stockton, to the high security Rampton Hospital, in Nottinghamshire, which houses patients detained under the mental health act.
His barrister Robert Woodcock said he had been responsible for “delusional and psychotic behaviour” while on custody at Holme House, which included making threats to kill staff.
Reading from reports, he said it was believed Jama had suffered an acute psychotic episode after his spell in custody which it was suggested could be down to his previous use of a drug called Khat – popular in some African countries.
The Recorder of Middlesbrough, Judge Simon-Bourne Arton said he wanted to know if it was possible for hospital staff to provide an assessment on Jama within the next month, prior to sentencing him.
Jama, in exchanges with the judge from the dock, told the judge: “There is nothing wrong with me Sir.”
However, delaying sentencing, Judge Bourne-Arton said: “My concern is to do the right thing, not only for the public, but for you."
More Crime News
- WATCH: Woman insisted she was not driving speeding car despite video footage of her behind the wheel
- Pensioner punched and robbed in his own home by man wearing 'clown mask'
- WATCH: Drink and drug driver speeds through city centre before crash which killed his teenage passenger
- Jail for 'lunatic' driver who nearly killed pedestrian just hours after being banned from roads
- Do you recognise these suspects caught on CCTV?
- Police hunt knife-wielding mugger after attempted robbery on Stockton street
- Keen walker now virtually house-bound after being mowed down by disqualified driver
- Public schoolboy exchanged naked phone photos with girl, 14
- Lucky escape after high performance car bought hours earlier involved in crash
- Four held in connection with death of man, 50, in North Yorkshire