For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Two held after crash leads police to body of woman in Northumberland house
TWO people have been arrested after police called to a road accident found information that led them to a body in a house.
A murder investigation was launched after the discovery in Northumberland today. (Monday, February 5)
Just before 11.10am officers were called to the accident on Bertram Place in Shiremoor.
The injured female driver was taken to Newcastle RVI, where she remains. Her condition is not life-threatening.
Enquiries at the scene involving items found in the car then led officers to an address in Holywell, Northumberland.
After forcing entry at noon, the body of a woman was found inside.
Both scenes have now been examined by forensic scientists and a post mortem will be carried out.
Northumberland Area Command Chief Superintendent Dianne Winship said: "We are at the earliest stages of an investigation into today's events.
"We have yet to formally identify the woman in the house and it would not be appropriate to give any details of her until this is done.
"We believe that the woman in the car and the woman found in the house were known to each other and we do not believe that there is any wider danger to the public."
Tonight, police said a 32-year-old man and a 57-year-old woman were arrested on suspicion of murder and were helping police with their enquiries.
Anyone with information about the death or the crash is asked to contact police on the 101 non-emergency number.
More Crime News
- Search for missing Hartlepool pensioner
- Chef who loses sense of smell in random attack angry after thug is spared jail
- Police turn to specialist bureau to try to resolve two missing persons cases
- Married Northallerton man who groomed teenage girl walks free from court
- Escape bid foiled when four men were captured in the grounds of Kirklevington Grange open prison
- Conman who swindled a string of women jailed for seven years
- Vandals cause thousands of pounds of damages to Jubilee Wood
- Police operation targets rogue scrap dealers
- Warning of fines over misuse of 999 line
- Plans for multi-million pound secondary school rebuild to be considered
Comments are closed on this article.