POLICE investigating the murder of a football memorabilia seller have traced a mystery caller who rang them but hung up.
Northumbria Police detectives issued an appeal for him to come forward after he rang last Saturday (January 26) but got cold feet.
John Roberts, 32, of Winlaton, near Gateshead, known as John the Badge because he sold football badges, was battered to death on Sunday, December 16.
Loading article content
Superintendent Roger Ford, of Northumbria Police, said: "We've now spoken to this man about the call he made.
“Enquiries into the murder are ongoing, we've had a good response from the public and have made an arrest in connection with the investigation.
"We are still keen to hear from anyone who has information, no matter how small they think it is, and would urge people to get in touch as soon as possible."
A 27-year-old man was arrested in connection with the murder on Tuesday, January 22. He was bailed pending further enquiries.
Anyone with information should call Northumbria Police on 101, extension 69191, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
More Crime News
- WATCH: Woman insisted she was not driving speeding car despite video footage of her behind the wheel
- Man and woman sought after Whitby pub customer has purse stolen while at bar
- Cannibas farm discovered following burglary at Gateshead home
- Man in court over alleged knifepoint robbery of pensioner
- Pensioner punched and robbed in his own home by man wearing 'clown mask'
- WATCH: Drink and drug driver speeds through city centre before crash which killed his teenage passenger
- Jail for 'lunatic' driver who nearly killed pedestrian just hours after being banned from roads
- Do you recognise these suspects caught on CCTV?
- Police hunt knife-wielding mugger after attempted robbery on Stockton street
- Keen walker now virtually house-bound after being mowed down by disqualified driver