POLICE investigating the murder of a football memorabilia seller have traced a mystery caller who rang them but hung up.
Northumbria Police detectives issued an appeal for him to come forward after he rang last Saturday (January 26) but got cold feet.
John Roberts, 32, of Winlaton, near Gateshead, known as John the Badge because he sold football badges, was battered to death on Sunday, December 16.
Superintendent Roger Ford, of Northumbria Police, said: "We've now spoken to this man about the call he made.
“Enquiries into the murder are ongoing, we've had a good response from the public and have made an arrest in connection with the investigation.
"We are still keen to hear from anyone who has information, no matter how small they think it is, and would urge people to get in touch as soon as possible."
A 27-year-old man was arrested in connection with the murder on Tuesday, January 22. He was bailed pending further enquiries.
Anyone with information should call Northumbria Police on 101, extension 69191, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
More Crime News
- Man whose bulldog ripped his arm off is at centre of new dog attack leaving three injured
- Force silent on racism inquiry
- Couple defrauded schools after failing to pay fees for child care at nurseries round the region
- Gun-toting robbers injure staff member in raid on North-East club
- Teenage girl raped in Tyneside churchyard
- Teenage girl raped in church grounds on North Tyneside
- Arrest made after sexual assault in Harrogate
- Police make second arrest after sex assault on girl, 12
- Man suffers ear injury after being bitten in attack in Newcastle
- Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson clocked speeding after filming in North Yorkshire