POLICE investigating the murder of a football memorabilia seller have traced a mystery caller who rang them but hung up.
Northumbria Police detectives issued an appeal for him to come forward after he rang last Saturday (January 26) but got cold feet.
John Roberts, 32, of Winlaton, near Gateshead, known as John the Badge because he sold football badges, was battered to death on Sunday, December 16.
Superintendent Roger Ford, of Northumbria Police, said: "We've now spoken to this man about the call he made.
“Enquiries into the murder are ongoing, we've had a good response from the public and have made an arrest in connection with the investigation.
"We are still keen to hear from anyone who has information, no matter how small they think it is, and would urge people to get in touch as soon as possible."
A 27-year-old man was arrested in connection with the murder on Tuesday, January 22. He was bailed pending further enquiries.
Anyone with information should call Northumbria Police on 101, extension 69191, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
More Crime News
- Police appeal after young woman attacked in Newton Aycliffe
- Have you seen this man suspected of conning money out of elderly smokers?
- Police trained to spot paedophile tattoos and clothes
- Unmasked: Paedophile who worked in schools across region as children's counsellor
- Region's businesses urged to guard against online crime
- Police investigating Tipu Sultan's murder release new CCTV images of two suspects on a motorbike
- Man held over Claudia Lawrence case 'gives police new information'
- Police make arrest in connection with knifepoint robbery on 14-year-old boy
- Woman attacked by three men and cash stolen
- Eston hills ablaze again as Cleveland Fire Brigade reveals true cost of arson