POLICE investigating the murder of a football memorabilia seller have traced a mystery caller who rang them but hung up.
Northumbria Police detectives issued an appeal for him to come forward after he rang last Saturday (January 26) but got cold feet.
John Roberts, 32, of Winlaton, near Gateshead, known as John the Badge because he sold football badges, was battered to death on Sunday, December 16.
Loading article content
Superintendent Roger Ford, of Northumbria Police, said: "We've now spoken to this man about the call he made.
“Enquiries into the murder are ongoing, we've had a good response from the public and have made an arrest in connection with the investigation.
"We are still keen to hear from anyone who has information, no matter how small they think it is, and would urge people to get in touch as soon as possible."
A 27-year-old man was arrested in connection with the murder on Tuesday, January 22. He was bailed pending further enquiries.
Anyone with information should call Northumbria Police on 101, extension 69191, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
More Crime News
- Claudia Lawrence mystery - double killer Christopher Halliwell linked to disappearance
- Victims' relief as former school caretaker Peter Ryal jailed for child sex crimes
- Pensioner found with facial injuries on grassed area in Middlesbrough
- VIDEO EXCLUSIVE: Armed bank robbers captured on CCTV during terrifying raid on Horden bank as brave officer gives chase
- Prison officer jailed over lesbian affair with inmate at HMP Low Newton
- Five in court over alleged conspiracy to supply heroin in County Durham
- Three arrested after lunchtime brawl in city centre
- Man taunted by photo of girlfriend and love rival ended up in street fight bloodbath
- Man, 28, arrested after 15-year-old girl raped on Stockton cycle path
- Corrosive liquid thrown on vehicles in Newton Aycliffe and tyres slashed in spate of vandalism