Clubs agree not to "cash in" on games against Quakers

Darlington Football Club

Darlington Football Club

First published in News The Northern Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Regional Chief Reporter

NON-LEAGUE football teams have agreed not to increase tickets prices for the visit of Darlington FC amid claims some clubs were cashing in on the large Quakers fanbase.

Ebac Northern League football clubs say they will not raise basic prices when playing Darlington after increases earlier in the season prompted strong criticism from fans.

All nine clubs still to host Darlington will charge £5 or £6 for adult tickets, with concessionary admission – at Ashington – as low as £1 50.

Northern League chairman Mike Amos welcomed the clubs’ decision.

He said: “There has been a great deal of publicity about the three clubs which increased admission - one by just £1.

“The disproportionate publicity has suggested that the Northern League is full of clubs out to make a quick buck at Darlington’s expense - this shows that the total opposite is true. Quakers followers are being welcomed and treated as friends.”

Highlighting the outcry when Manchester City fans were charged £62 to attend the Arsenal match at the weekend, Mr Amos said: “Whatever happens in the Premier League, in the Northern League we try to champion fair play, and to behave as a family should.”

Related links

“I’m genuinely grateful to all those clubs for helping to strengthen our reputation.”

Shildon, due to host their championship chasing neighbours in April, were the last club – at a board meeting on Monday evening – to decide to peg prices.

“It could be their last away game in the Northern League and we are determined to give their supporters an excellent match day experience,” said club chairman Brian Burn.

Darlington chairman Denis Pinnegar said he was “delighted” at the news.

He said: “It’s great that our fans aren’t being taken advantage of and I hope they will spend a lot of money in bars and on programmes and the like, so that clubs will appreciate the value of the Darlington fan base.”

Quakers travel to Sunderland RCA on Saturday. £5 tickets for the game are available at the Darlington club shop in the covered market or from the host club. In an attempt to address car parking problems, admission is £6 on the day.

Norton and Stockton Ancients FC, West Auckland and Celtic Nation all increased their prices for the visit of Darlington.

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:37pm Tue 15 Jan 13

swagger says...

Mike Amos said,

“I’m genuinely grateful to all those clubs for helping to strengthen our reputation.”

These 3 clubs damaged that reputation

Norton and Stockton Ancients FC, West Auckland and Celtic Nation all increased their prices for the visit of Darlington.

If i was one of these teams supporters i would feel ashamed at the way there chairman and directors had conducted themselves.
Mike Amos said, “I’m genuinely grateful to all those clubs for helping to strengthen our reputation.” These 3 clubs damaged that reputation Norton and Stockton Ancients FC, West Auckland and Celtic Nation all increased their prices for the visit of Darlington. If i was one of these teams supporters i would feel ashamed at the way there chairman and directors had conducted themselves. swagger
  • Score: 0

3:07pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Hilly_2009 says...

Good to hear that all the clubs we're yet to play have agreed to this.

Don't quite agree with Amos' quote though...

"The disproportionate publicity has suggested that the Northern League is full of clubs out to make a quick buck at Darlington’s expense - this shows that the total opposite is true."

It isn't the total opposite, his statement should read that "...the Northern League includes a small number out to make a quick buck at Darlington’s expense".

People shouldn't forget those 3 clubs, however small a proportion of the overall league they may be.
Good to hear that all the clubs we're yet to play have agreed to this. Don't quite agree with Amos' quote though... "The disproportionate publicity has suggested that the Northern League is full of clubs out to make a quick buck at Darlington’s expense - this shows that the total opposite is true." It isn't the total opposite, his statement should read that "...the Northern League includes a small number out to make a quick buck at Darlington’s expense". People shouldn't forget those 3 clubs, however small a proportion of the overall league they may be. Hilly_2009
  • Score: 0

6:09pm Tue 15 Jan 13

bearded_ian says...

" In an attempt to address car parking problems, admission is £6 on the day."

How will charging more on the day alleviate any parking issues?

Surely this mean that 4 clubs have increased their prices.
" In an attempt to address car parking problems, admission is £6 on the day." How will charging more on the day alleviate any parking issues? Surely this mean that 4 clubs have increased their prices. bearded_ian
  • Score: 0

7:47pm Tue 15 Jan 13

UpTheBoro says...

Its a freak situation to have a club in The Northern League with a fanbase such as Darlingtons. Its great to hear their fans are not going to be hit in the pockets. Its great for all of the players who experience playing in front of a big crowd and for the opposing fans, they experience an atmosphere that doesnt come around very often. Dont forget, it helps the away teams coffers aswell!!
Its a freak situation to have a club in The Northern League with a fanbase such as Darlingtons. Its great to hear their fans are not going to be hit in the pockets. Its great for all of the players who experience playing in front of a big crowd and for the opposing fans, they experience an atmosphere that doesnt come around very often. Dont forget, it helps the away teams coffers aswell!! UpTheBoro
  • Score: 0

7:48pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Darloresident says...

4 clubs HAVE increased their prices..Mike Amos is trying to put a positive spin on other clubs not raising prices when Darlington come calling.However without the fans outcry and the intervention of Mr Amos how many clubs would have increased prices?Far from enhancing the reputation of the NL the profiteers of West Aukland and the like have seen it sink to a level of grubby pick pocketing unprecedented in its history.
Hide your head in shame NL.. Thank Mike Amos for the damage limitation he has acheived
4 clubs HAVE increased their prices..Mike Amos is trying to put a positive spin on other clubs not raising prices when Darlington come calling.However without the fans outcry and the intervention of Mr Amos how many clubs would have increased prices?Far from enhancing the reputation of the NL the profiteers of West Aukland and the like have seen it sink to a level of grubby pick pocketing unprecedented in its history. Hide your head in shame NL.. Thank Mike Amos for the damage limitation he has acheived Darloresident
  • Score: 0

8:45pm Tue 15 Jan 13

pilchrat says...

Hopefully Darlington will head off into the next league up then the smaller clubs won't need to charge more to cover security, parking, etc.
Hopefully Darlington will head off into the next league up then the smaller clubs won't need to charge more to cover security, parking, etc. pilchrat
  • Score: 0

12:13am Wed 16 Jan 13

charlie74 says...

pilchrat wrote:
Hopefully Darlington will head off into the next league up then the smaller clubs won't need to charge more to cover security, parking, etc.
The other clubs don't need to charge more to cover security parking etc, because they`ll get that from the normal ticket price revenue, if 1000 supporters come through the gate at £6 a head you cant tell me that doesn't cover security etc and still make a healthy profit. Not to mention the programmes, food and beverages profits. For the record it was never about the price for us, if a club charged £10 ALL season we would quite happily pay it, its the fact the price increases just because it was us,.
However having said that, its been 3 clubs in the whole league , well done to the rest for standing up to what is right
[quote][p][bold]pilchrat[/bold] wrote: Hopefully Darlington will head off into the next league up then the smaller clubs won't need to charge more to cover security, parking, etc.[/p][/quote]The other clubs don't need to charge more to cover security parking etc, because they`ll get that from the normal ticket price revenue, if 1000 supporters come through the gate at £6 a head you cant tell me that doesn't cover security etc and still make a healthy profit. Not to mention the programmes, food and beverages profits. For the record it was never about the price for us, if a club charged £10 ALL season we would quite happily pay it, its the fact the price increases just because it was us,. However having said that, its been 3 clubs in the whole league , well done to the rest for standing up to what is right charlie74
  • Score: 0

9:45am Wed 16 Jan 13

greenfinger says...

but it's ok for me to be charged silly prices when i visit there place?.(well borrowed place) i think it's only fair to charge what they do, £8.
but it's ok for me to be charged silly prices when i visit there place?.(well borrowed place) i think it's only fair to charge what they do, £8. greenfinger
  • Score: 0

12:45pm Wed 16 Jan 13

Skallywagg says...

bearded_ian wrote:
" In an attempt to address car parking problems, admission is £6 on the day."

How will charging more on the day alleviate any parking issues?

Surely this mean that 4 clubs have increased their prices.
Have to agree with your comments Ian, in my book it is an increase. I would be travelling by bus, why should I be charged extra when I have no vehicle to park.
[quote][p][bold]bearded_ian[/bold] wrote: " In an attempt to address car parking problems, admission is £6 on the day." How will charging more on the day alleviate any parking issues? Surely this mean that 4 clubs have increased their prices.[/p][/quote]Have to agree with your comments Ian, in my book it is an increase. I would be travelling by bus, why should I be charged extra when I have no vehicle to park. Skallywagg
  • Score: 0

12:48pm Wed 16 Jan 13

Skallywagg says...

Oh,I won't now be travelling by bus, I will be boycotting this game on a point of principle.
Oh,I won't now be travelling by bus, I will be boycotting this game on a point of principle. Skallywagg
  • Score: 0

12:51pm Wed 16 Jan 13

Skallywagg says...

greenfinger wrote:
but it's ok for me to be charged silly prices when i visit there place?.(well borrowed place) i think it's only fair to charge what they do, £8.
We have not increased prices, they remain the same as the first home game of the season. Your choice to pay or not to pay.
[quote][p][bold]greenfinger[/bold] wrote: but it's ok for me to be charged silly prices when i visit there place?.(well borrowed place) i think it's only fair to charge what they do, £8.[/p][/quote]We have not increased prices, they remain the same as the first home game of the season. Your choice to pay or not to pay. Skallywagg
  • Score: 0

2:00pm Wed 16 Jan 13

charlie74 says...

greenfinger wrote:
but it's ok for me to be charged silly prices when i visit there place?.(well borrowed place) i think it's only fair to charge what they do, £8.
Each club sets the prices for the season and Darlington set theirs at the price our own supporters were willing to pay,same as every other club did. Our prices have remained the same ALL season which invalidates your argument
[quote][p][bold]greenfinger[/bold] wrote: but it's ok for me to be charged silly prices when i visit there place?.(well borrowed place) i think it's only fair to charge what they do, £8.[/p][/quote]Each club sets the prices for the season and Darlington set theirs at the price our own supporters were willing to pay,same as every other club did. Our prices have remained the same ALL season which invalidates your argument charlie74
  • Score: 0

11:40pm Wed 16 Jan 13

Quaker79 says...

Another one who's totally missed the point.

Greenfinger, if you go to watch a Darlington game at Heritage Park, you will be charged £8. The next league game will be the same price, and so will the one after that. The price doesn't go up due to the potential number of visiting fans there could be to exploit.

And yes, it would be fair for your club to charge £8 entry, if that's what you choose to charge EVERYONE.
Another one who's totally missed the point. Greenfinger, if you go to watch a Darlington game at Heritage Park, you will be charged £8. The next league game will be the same price, and so will the one after that. The price doesn't go up due to the potential number of visiting fans there could be to exploit. And yes, it would be fair for your club to charge £8 entry, if that's what you choose to charge EVERYONE. Quaker79
  • Score: 0

3:27pm Fri 18 Jan 13

greenfinger says...

Spennymoor will mash you money grabbing muppets anyway.
Spennymoor will mash you money grabbing muppets anyway. greenfinger
  • Score: 0

3:34pm Fri 18 Jan 13

charlie74 says...

greenfinger wrote:
Spennymoor will mash you money grabbing muppets anyway.
Money grabbing muppets? The club asked our own supporters what they would be willing to pay, the supporters agreed to pay £8 and that makes us all grabbing muppets? greenfinger, go get a life and if and when you can think of a mature sensible reply, come back and we`ll have a chat then :-/
[quote][p][bold]greenfinger[/bold] wrote: Spennymoor will mash you money grabbing muppets anyway.[/p][/quote]Money grabbing muppets? The club asked our own supporters what they would be willing to pay, the supporters agreed to pay £8 and that makes us all grabbing muppets? greenfinger, go get a life and if and when you can think of a mature sensible reply, come back and we`ll have a chat then :-/ charlie74
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree