A DEFIBRILLATOR provided as an unlikely wedding gift has saved the life of a cyclist.

When Paul Bailey, 30, began his shift at The Stiddy, a pub in Lythe, near Whitby, the last thing he expected was to save a life.

But the pub is owned by David and Wendy Humphreys and when they got married they asked guests to contribute towards installing a defibrillator there after the couple watched a TV programme about the life-saving devices over three years ago.

Loading article content

That turned out to be rather prophetic move for 67-year-old Peter Boyle and his wife, Julie, 60, from Ripon, who had decided to go on a bike ride on May 28.

Mrs Boyle said: “We were out cycling and I arrived at the area on the opposite side of the road to The Stiddy just before Peter and then turned to see him draw up, dismount and place his bike against our car which was parked there.

“He then sunk slowly to his knees, saying ‘something is not right’. He had laboured breathing.

“I noticed that his eyes looked strange so I put Peter into the recovery position and checked his pulse and breathing.

“When his breathing stopped and there was no pulse I went straight into CPR.”

She then called out to three people and told them to phone 999 and to bring the defibrillator from the front of the pub.

Mr Bailey from The Stiddy came out, obtained the code by calling 999 and opened up the defibrillator.

Paul and Julie gave two “shocks” which resulted in restoring Peter’s pulse and him breathing again.

By this stage a retained fireman arrived and administered some oxygen.

This was the first time The Stiddy’s defibrillator has been used.

After calling 999, it took eight minutes for paramedics to arrive and take over from Mr Bailey’s life-saving treatment.

Mr Boyle was taken to James Cook University Hospital, Middlesbrough, and is now recovering well at home and is back to his former level of fitness.

He said he has no memory of the events but is extremely grateful to those who saved his life.

“I have no recollection whatsoever unfortunately of anything from the 28 May when the event took place, either of driving over to the coast or of subsequent events.

“I am so glad that the defibrillator was there and that I had the assistance that I did from my wife and others. I am deeply grateful to David Humphreys and to Paul for having the machine available for use.”

Mr Humphreys said that they decided to ask for the defibrillator after watching a programme about them being installed in country areas.

“As Wendy and I were due to get married, we decided to ask our guests to contribute towards a defibrillator being installed at our pub as it’s in a pretty remote part of the country.

“We paid the difference and sure enough, the defibrillator was installed and has sat proudly on the front of the pub ever since.”

A defibrillator gives a high energy electric shock to the heart through the chest wall to someone in cardiac arrest.

Dr Charles Parker, Clinical Chair of NHS Hambleton, Richmondshire and Whitby Clinical Commissioning Group (the CCG) said: “It was the generous spirit of Wendy and David Humphreys and the quick-thinking of their staff and others together with Mrs Boyle which has saved a life.

"Although the paramedics arrived very quickly, I have no doubt that the use of the defibrillator contributed significantly in saving Peter’s life.

  • Residents across the CCG area interested in having a defibrillator installed into their local community can call 01609-767600.