Amy Winehouse's ex-husband has told of his regret at introducing her to hard drugs - but has claimed her addiction worsened when they were apart.
Blake Fielder-Civil said the pair spent only four months in which they were taking drugs together as "addicts", due to his spells in jail.
He spoke in an emotional interview on ITV's Jeremy Kyle Show today, telling of his tears and disbelief when prison staff told him Amy had died.
Loading article content
Blake - who was married to the singer for two years - said of their heroin and crack use: "Out of maybe a six or seven-year relationship that me and Amy had on and off, there was drug use for about four months together."
He continued: "We used heroin together as addicts for like four months, then I went to jail. Then it got a lot worse while I was in jail and then when I came out of jail I was told that if I loved her I'd divorce her and set her free and I did."
The 34-year-old said he had used heroin "three or four times" before she was introduced to it. He said they were in an east London hotel room.
"I was smoking it on foil and she said can I try some and I said... I might have put up a weak resistance - the fact is whatever I said she did end up having some," he said. "I have to be really sort of conscious about what I say - I don't want to feel like I'm shirking responsibility. The fact is what I'm saying is of course I regret it, not just 'cos of the damage it's caused Amy and the loss of life, but the damage to her family but also to my family and also to me."
Blake told how he and Amy had discussed getting back together.
He went on: "She said that her doctor had said to her, you're never not going to be in love with Blake, and Amy had said 'yeah I know' and she asked me if she could come and visit me and I'd written a letter saying 'I don't know what we're going to do, of course I'm always going to love you'. And then we had a correspondence for about a week where we sort of ummed and aahed about it and then in the end it was sort of like what are we doing?"
Amy died in July 2011 and a second inquest found last month that she died from accidental alcohol poisoning.