About Cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies.

Archive - Tuesday, 21 May 2002

Boy recalls finding dead mother

THE nine-year-old son of Elsenham mother-of-two Julie Foster has told a jury how he discovered his mother's dead body.

Jay Foster, who was eight at the time, was giving evidence at the trial of the man accused of killing her.

The jury watched a taped interview given to the police by Jay the day after the incident.

Loading article content

Chelmsford Crown Court heard how Mrs Foster, 41, was blugeoned to death with a cricket bat by an intruder who broke into her home in Stansted Road, Elsenham, on July 10 last year.

It is alleged the killer was her ex-boyfriend Kim Wassell who was "obsessed with jealously" following the break-up of their relationship.

Mr Wassell, 45, a former professional footballer of Wightwick, Wolverhampton, denies murder.

In the video evidence, a policeman is heard asking Jay: "Do you know why we are here?" Jay replied: "To talk about mum. She died. I was asleep. I don't know much."

Jay described how he woke at 1am and heard someone walking up the stairs.

He added: "At the top of the stairs is this wobbly wood and then I heard that. I went back to sleep."

Later he heard knocking on the door. He said: "Mum. There's someone at the door."

He added: " I went in and looked and mum was dead. I got my quilt and went downstairs. Kim was at the door. Kim said 'Where's mum?' I went 'she's dead.' Then I went to ring the police.

"They said 'what do you want?' I was crying. I said 'quick, quick'. They came in five or ten minutes. They went upstairs and looked at mum. They saw her."

The jury later heard how two paramedics discovered Mr Wassell sitting on the M11 three weeks before Mrs Foster died. He was in a "distressed state, smelling of alcohol and crying".

In his pocket was a note addressed to Julie Foster.

Paramedic Peter Kelly who, with a colleague were called out in the early hours of June 21 following a report that a man had jumped off a bridge, said: "As I approached I saw under a bridge the figure of a man sitting in the fast lane. The man was visibly upset and sat slouched with his head down. He said 'leave me alone'. I told the man to get off the motorway and he mumbled 'I just want to die'."

The trial continues.